Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about getting a scope for my Mossberg 500 for use with the rifled slug barrel. Anyone use a scope on this gun? If so, what do you use and why? If you have pictures, I'd love to see this gun with a scope on it.

Also, what kind of range accuracy could I expect with this gun? 100 yards, maybe?

Thanks...

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
Alleydude, I have a mossberg 835 with a scope on it and it is a very effective and accurate gun out to about 100 yards with saboted slugs, got a 208 lb. deer in indiana last year one shot and it was DRT. go for it you will like it.
steve

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alleydude, I have a mossberg 835 with a scope on it and it is a very effective and accurate gun out to about 100 yards with saboted slugs, got a 208 lb. deer in indiana last year one shot and it was DRT. go for it you will like it.
steve
Cool! But I'm sorry, newbie question again... What's DRT?

·
Registered
314 Posts
ive got a 835 and i have a red dot on my slug bdl.. 100 yds no problem!!! here in southern michigan we have to stick with shotguns or m/z.. i hate to clean that thing so i stick with the shotgun.
i feel with the red dot you can get on your target faster .i have a cheap bsa on it never had any troubles . it has the 42 mm . nice for low light

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
If you scope it use the saddle mount,not the side mount.On range,sighted dead on at 50yds it will drop 10" with 2 3/4" standard foster type and 6" with 3" mags.This is going by the printed balistics. sam.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Some of the 500s come drilled on top allready or can be drilled and tapped... so you can use a top mount. My 20 ga. was, and I put a scope on it. My daughter took her first deer this past season with it.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I beleive all Mossberg shotguns you buy today are drilled and tapped for scope mounts.
My new 930 semi-auto is drilled and tapped.

Can anyone explain what the differents are in shotgun scopes verse's rifle scopes ?
For members interested in shotgun scopes...I take it rifle scopes work fine too but I've noticed a few scope manufactures have lines of shotgun scopes now.
A.H

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I beleive all Mossberg shotguns you buy today are drilled and tapped for scope mounts.
My new 930 semi-auto is drilled and tapped.
Can anyone explain what the differents are in shotgun scopes verse's rifle scopes ?
For members interested in shotgun scopes...I take it rifle scopes work fine too but I've noticed a few scope manufactures have lines of shotgun scopes now.
A.H
Yes, mine is. Thanks for the input so far, much appreciated!

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Shotgun scopes are usually long eye relief(4"+) for the heavy recoil and often have better light gathering abilitys and sometimes lighted crosshairs. sam.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
A friend has a mossy 500 with the red dot scope. He loves it and got a deer with it .

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello i have a 88 modle that has the scope rail fixed on the rifled slug barrel.i can say this it is the best deer gun i have ever had .the sbot slug fly better and hit just as hard as a foster slug .the range for the rifled slug barrel and the sabot slug is acualy better than a 30/30 and has the knock down power of a 300 w mag.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I would use a good four power or less scope. also if at all possible I would try to get the barrel with the scope rail that way if the barrel moved at all the scope would move with it. Just a thought

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I like this thread because I too am interested in deer hunting with my Mossberg 930
semi-auto.
Reason being this shotgun seems like it was custom built for me.
I beleive I'd go with a red dot scope on mine due to the close ranges I'd be hunting in.
Jim and Jim thank you both for the info, hopefully Alleydude will come back to read this...A.H

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like this thread because I too am interested in deer hunting with my Mossberg 930
semi-auto.
Reason being this shotgun seems like it was custom built for me.
I beleive I'd go with a red dot scope on mine due to the close ranges I'd be hunting in.
Jim and Jim thank you both for the info, hopefully Alleydude will come back to read this...A.H
I've been reading it all along, and I greatly appreciate the information. I still haven't picked out a scope yet, but I am convinced that I will be getting one. Again, thanks for all the information!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 500 with the cantilever scope mount barrel. It is a good concept, but the combo comes with the most crappy scope ever. I hate it. I need a new one, but haven't brought myself to buy one yet.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Hey i just picked this up for $199.99 $215.00 after tax for my Mav 88 Rifled and came with the scope and rail (on the barrel). It was a kit that mossberg makes for hte 500 and will fit the Mav 88 also. I figure when the barrel alone was ganna cost me 165.00 the 199.99 for the barrel and scope mounted on the barrel wasnt bad. It showed up in the guys book so this wasnt just something special he had you should be able to order it any where I think. Any ways here it is on my Maverick 88.

And the scope is a bushnel 3-9x32 by the way so you can zoom it out so your not zoomed way in on something thats fairly close. Im going to be sighting it in this Thursday and will try to get some pics to show how accurate it turns out to be with sabot slugs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
got the same set up at Dicks for 175 with scope at end of season last year also mav 88
lightfield or knock outs work best for the money winchester supremes too expensive

·
Registered
7 Posts
Scope on a Mossberg

HI,
I have a Mossberg 500A with the ported barrel and it has the cantiliver mount on it. I have a Nikon 3x9x32 shotgun scope mounted on it. This setup is pretty popular and most people claim acuracy out to 200 yards with this setup. However myself I am satisfied to take a 120 yard shot with this setup. The shotgun has a metal safety I purchased from my good friends at Havlin Sales & Service - Mossberg Gun Parts who are the number one experts on Mossbergs. And the trigger guard was replaced by me as well with a aluminum trigger assembly from the good folks at World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS the two upgrades cost me $110.00 but they are well worth the extra cost. In fact Mossberg should replace the two plastic parts with the metal parts they would sell more shotguns for sure. All in all I am very pleased with my "AMERICAN MADE" Mossy. If you have a question on how or where to buy an upgrade to metal parts email me at [email protected]
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Nice looking setup fella.Glad to see you are going for all the accuracy you can get. ,,,sam.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts