Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this rifle? I noticed that they sell for about 100 and thought it may be a nice target plinker.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews on this gun, most were not good for just a few dollars more a marlin model 60 can be had and is pretty much a trouble free gun if kept clean and oiled

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,708 Posts
In essence, it's a cheap copy of the Marlin M60 made by Braztech in Brazil, using a different magazine.
I have seen several good reports from those who own them. Early on it had problems, but it seems to have been fixed in that respect.
I am a collector of old Mossbergs, but have no interest in this new 'Plinkster'. But it seems an okay little rifle.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,708 Posts
From what I read at the time, it seemed to be mostly feed jams. That might have been due to ammo - some twentytwo rifles simply don't like some bullet designs. Semiautos sometimes have problems with a flatter hollow-point like Winchester.

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
I had one. I bought it for my GF. I never used it much, but the one time I used it it did not run very well. Then again, I only tried one type of ammo (and less than 100 rounds at that), and never got to clean it because the pins were in too tight (I even went at it with a 2lb sledge hammer and a punch - I honestly thought I might bend the receiver - and it wouldn't budge).

Though, I do believe I could have got it to run better had I stuck with it, but I just ended up selling it.

Though, they are right, for like $30 or $40 more you could get a Model 60 or I think the remington 597, which should be much more consistant (especially the Model 60).

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I have a Mossy 702 Plinkster that I got used from a friend.

He had installed a BSA .22lr 4x scope and had never cleaned it. The internals were chock full of carbon residues that I had to clean out. He had been using Federal Premium bulk in the blue box and had some left over that he gave me.

I ran through that and had bought some more of the same at Joe's. It ran without so much as a hiccup. It was also shooting 10 round groups at 25 yards of 1". Not that great, but I'm way out of practice and it can likely do a lot better.

There was a 10/22 in the booth next to me and we did a 10-round "race" to empty the mag as fast as we could into a target and after two runs, we had about the same speed, right around 2 seconds. Plus, we were both within 6" at 10 feet after rapid fire.

The only thing to envy about the Ruger was that it took me about 3-4 times as long to load up the stick magazine than it took him to load up his rotary magazine. Otherwise, they were about the same. Also, Mossy 702's only have a 10 round magazine to be had... no aftermarkets or "hi-caps".... But, I want it more for a SHTF food-getter and it's perfect for that.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bought one from "Joe's Outdoor" - like it a lot, it has shot really well with variety of Hi-Velocity ammo. I was actually shopping for a "used" durable reliable plinking semi-auto rifle, but quickly tired of seeing outrageous prices for beat up used .22's so took a chance on this new $99.99 rifle instead.
Gave it a thorough "out of the box" strip cleaning, a bit of polishing on trigger contact surfaces - and haven't looked back!!
Only problem so far is that my son has made off with it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts