Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ended up with a beater Mossy 835 Ulti Mag VR 24" barrel that I want to use as a Home defense gun. I see where Mossberg doesn't make a barrel under 24" for this gun because it's predominantly a turkey gun. It has a full BB lead and steel choke in it. What shot is able to be fired through it, and what's the likelihood of someone cutting it down to 19" or so. what happens if the choke tube is cut out of it. I don't know much about shotguns but I live in a really small place with not much clearance in doorways and hallways.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
rchjr, if there's an Academy Sports in your area, go look at the barrels there. Our local store stocks 18.5" barrels for the 835 for around $130 (I think!). I can't remember if they're Mossberg or Hasting brand.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I would back down to an improved or modified choke.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
At self defence range the choke isnt going to matter,but barrel length may,I would get a shorter barrel if possible. sam.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll check on the academy sports. I just couldn't find anything shorter than I had already. I was afraid to shoot 00buck with the full choke. Of course I don't know what the previous owner did. I know they really didn't take care of it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It won't hurt to shoot 00 buck through a full choke. It may not pattern as well at longer distances as a cylinder bore, due to increased shot deformation. At home defense ranges it won't matter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts