Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a new mossberg 835 ultimag with mossy oak break up for 309.00 does anyone else have one and what do you think about it?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I've got the wood-stocked version and love it. You have to work the slide with authority to keep from short-stroking it, and it's a bit heavy in the dove field, but it's stout and super-reliable.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i wanted the wood stock but couldnt find it so i had to settle for this mossy oak break up.my brother said he killed a turkey last year with his 835 at 70 yards and his buddy said he seen him do it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ive got the 835 in allpurpose grey . i also have the slug bdl with scope mount on it.. i use from crow to turkey and on deer. i like it cause you can go from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 anytime ...
3 1/2 oo buck makes my teeth hurt.

mr mom

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my freind is a remington fan and has an 11-87 camo turkey gun and had patterned it with the 835 my brother has and it wasnt even close the mossberg shamed it.so he had left it in his basement flood water after that for a couple of months i dont even know if it still fires.id take it if he was going to miss treat it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My 835 has been a real performer,Deer,Turkey,Pigs,etc.Those 3 1/2 shells leave no doubt on your shoulder.I can definantly say the performance on the pigs has been stellar.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I like mine, but even 3'' buckshot will jitter your teeth. I did have a problem short stroking it till I stopped being easy on it. Gotta treat it like you mean it.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
I know a feller that was really really dumb, folks said he didn't have good since, his name is Marshal.
Well Marshal bought himself one of those Mossberg 835's and when he got home with it he steped out in his back yard and fired off a 3 1/2 Turkey load.

Today everyone calls Marshal a very very smart man ! It seems when he fired off that 3 1/2" Turkey load with that Mossy 835...It knocked some since into him !

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
My neighbor widow has a 835 pump Mossberg. Question- Its serial number starts off with UM, would that mean ultra mag?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check the 835 good !

I bought one last August from Acadamey, mossey,3 1/2" ulti-full, quite carry, etc., the guy put it together and handed it to me, well being a "da" that day I didn't take my bore lite as I usally do. I got it home, took it down for a good cleaning and noticed rust in the shell chamber of the barrel. Well of course Acadamey said as is, just as the paper you signed. So I cleaned it well, Hoppes, brush, oil, etc. It left the rusted area blackened, but there was no pits, emailed Mossberg, of course they said send it back at my cost as they all do. Well I figured it would be ok, few rounds, shells would shine it up. Then I got sick, some heart problems, didn't ever shoot it, just oiled it up a couple of times. Well took it out last week to clean it to shoot for dove season, I bought another factory choke for that, and thought some fine scotch brite and Hoppes would take the black off and no metal harmed. And it did, but it showed up a crack in the top of the barrel running from the chamber step up ( where the front of the shell rests) back toward the rear over half way. With a second one by it about 1/4 as long. I emailed Mossberg, they said send it to us, if it's under warranty we'll take care of it:feedback:. It is sent and will be delivered today by UPS. The reason I post this is I read a story last year before I bought this, maybe in here, were a guy swore his brother shot a knew one he'd gave him and it blew up with factory ammo first use. I didn't believe it, but now I don't know. So check the chamber, because I don't think you could have seen this crack if cleaning off the black from the rust did not fill it in.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ulti mag

Well it sounds like that gun wasnt taken care of if there was rust in the chamber. That could certainly lead to weakening of the metal. Ive had mine ever since they came out and have had no problems whatsoever and Im a dyed in the wool Turkey hunter so mine gets a pretty steady diet of 3 1/2" #4's. My gun is inspected by a gunsmith at the end of each season (a relative)and Im confident he wouldnt miss something like that.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
The 835 is a 12ga that has a 10ga. bore as well as a longer reciever in order to handle 3 1/2" shells.
Thats pretty much the differents...A.H

·
Registered
448 Posts
old thread, but i LOVE my shotgun the onlything i didnt like about the 835 was the fact that i fired a 3 1/2 magnum deer slug, and it snapped the stock, but i bought a new one off of ebay for like 20 bucks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts