Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at picking up a Mossberg 935 with the 24" barrel for turkeys and some occasional upland game birds. For the money it looks pretty hard to beat and I am on a bit of a budget at the moment. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this shotgun and what your thoughts are on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,839 Posts
A few of my friends use it. I considered it, but opted for the Sx2.

The 935 is 3.5" this may be usefull for turkey, albeit IMO a 3" 2oz load is plenty withthe propper choke combo.

the 935 is engineered for 3" & 3.5" fodder. I have heard mixed reviews on the gun cycling 2 3/4" loads. The gun will need a thourough cleaning when you get it home. Some guys can shoot heavy field loads no problem, some can shoot 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz loads no problem, some get inconsistent results. You get the idea.

Mossberg is comming out with a 3" version of the 935, the 930. This may be better suited to upland birds & bunnies, with still plenty of punch for gobblers.

http://mossberg.com/930 a.loader.htm

I think it will out sell the 935 in the long run. Too many guys like to trap shoot, dove hunt, etc.. with thier duck gun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry,

Thanks for the insight on the 935, I got a chance this morning to shoot one and I have decided to pick one up. The 930 sounds like a nice gun but I mostly hunt turkey and on rare ocasions hunt upland game, also I have a chance to do some duck and goose hunting so I think the 935 will better suit my needs. I shot everything from the big 3 1/2's to low brass 2 3/4 and it cycled them just fine, I only had one that didn't eject and I shot it enough to make my shoulder a bit tender. I will definately take a look at the 930 though sounds like a great gun.

Thanks again,

Chad

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,839 Posts
A little breaking in and I hear the 935 shoots 2 3/4" loads with decent reliability.
Enjoy your new gun. Don't foreget to add the range report. May help the next guy out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be going with this model: 935 MAGNUMâ„¢ COMBOS (w/ Mossy Oak Break-Up finish)
#82210 Turkey/Deer COMBO includes: 24" w/ Ulti-Full Turkey tube, Adj. Fiber optic sights and 24" fully rifled barrel w/ integral scope base Mainly due to were I live here in Wisconsin we have to use Shotguns w/slugs, pistols or muzzle loaders during the gun deer season. I own a Thompson Center Contender in 35 Remington but would like the ability to go with a slug gun as well. Slugsters are pretty devistating on deer and great brush guns, so I figured I would kill two birds with one stone or shotgun if you will. I will definately post a field report on the new gun when I get it, thanks for all your help and I will see you around the site.

Chad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts