Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Sir,
I have an upgraged light contour barrell on the 22 year old 870 Wingmaster reciever. 3 chokes, Full, Mod. & Imp Cyl.

Tried launching 3 differnt brands of slugs from all 3 choke combo's with no good results. Dad's A5 will drill them with full choke, go figure.

I applied for a shotgun permit in addition to the bow permit I usually get each year. Been comptemplating just using the .50 cal TC Hawken with the .357 180 GN JHP's (published 500 ft lbs at the muzzle) as 2nd shot back up, as we can carry a pistol while deer hunting as of last year.

I mostly bow hunt, but have some cash and work invested in a little spot that looks promising. I want to make sure I hit what I'm shooting at. If this shotgun gig don't work out this year, I might not re-apply next year. No sense in investing too much jack at first. I'd rather dpend it on my Bow, but I'll give it a chance.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ok, good.

Let me tell ya what I got going and I think it will work for you to.

I have an 870 Express with the 20" cantilever scope mount. This barrel is factory with interchangable chokes.

The key to accurate slug guns is accurate sights. Shotguns throwing slugs throw them for the most part in the same place everytime. It is the bad sights that make them seem to shoot all over the place. Let's face it how are you going to accurately put slugs in a group when you are looking down a bird barrel with a big ol' bead on the end of it?

Keeping it on the cheap. You might consider one of those side mounting plates for a scope. This way you can use an existing scope and accurately shoot slugs. Be fore warned these plates have been known to shoot loose. Besides that you are talking barrel replacement with either a cantilever mount or rifle sights.

Back to my gun. The 20" barrel is smooth and I use the Remington's factory rifled choke tube in her and using Remington's cheapest slugs, 5 shots at 50yds produces one big raggy hole. Hastings also makes an extended rifled choke tube that is suppose to be used with sabot slugs, about $55 at Midsouth Shooters Supply, check the web.

So on the cheap, consider a rifled choke tube for your existing barrel and some sort of sights to shoot accurately. Or buy a barrel that has a cantilever mount or rifle sights, but get it in the smooth bore with interchangable tubes. The reason I say this is that the NON-RIFLED barrels are normally cheaper then the rifled ones. And then go with the rifled choke tube.

Proofs in the puddin'. I have used this set up for the 17yrs. and have yet to not bring home the bacon. And some years I get two deer.

Hope this helps?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx,
Makes sense. I know testing would be in order and buyer beware etc. But what do you think of this:

Rifled choke tube on the existing smoothbore combined with a scope mount? (hoping that is dosen't shoot loose) Just thinking out loud.

thanks for the tip:D

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
There is a guy in Gun List that sells nothing but shotgun barrels. He always has really good prices. Can't help you beyond that, I let my subscription lapse and no back issues.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I bought a Mossy 410 this year for slugs. I had mine drilled and tapped for a scope and the gun smith told me they are now coming out drilled allready. I allready have a Mossy 20ga. set up with a scope, but my daughters always borrowing it, Ill let her use the 410 this year. Just a thought instead of trying to convert your 870. you might invest in a Mossy. The 500 comes with a combo package, and there are slug barrels available for the 835 also.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gun List, got it. Thanx

A possible good option trapfreek. Especially if I can get a complete gun (used) for the price of a barrel. I still like my 870 though.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I have an 870 with a 24" smoothbore mossburg barrel with iron sights and a saddle mount and 3x9 by 40mm Barska scope with lighted crosshairs.The blueing and finish on the barrel aren't a bragging point but it shoots about a 2" group at 50yds using Winchester 2 3/4" rifled hollowpoint slugs.My soninlaw uses it and got a buck each of the past two years,one at 25yds and one at 40yds,both one shot kills. sam.

·
Registered
120 Posts
:wtf1:

:spam:posts reported.

Cast the scurvy dog unto outer darkness!:banned:
Well, at least spank his Spammin' butt.:spank:

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Now he's gone!Where oh where will I get my pills now??? sam.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts