close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mossberg Blaze

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by MoDoc, Apr 4, 2017.

1. MoDoc

MoDoc G&G Enthusiast

I rarely pass up a low cost .22 rifle, despite not really needing any more. They make good gifts for the platoons of nephews/nieces/grandnephews, etc. I have in my tribe, and pawn shop finds are kinda fun to tinker with. I bought a new Mossberg 702 Plinkster for $60 some years ago at a grand opening of a Dick's Sporting goods store, and it turned out to be a solid little rifle [which I eventually gave to a nephew on his H.S. graduation.]
    Yesterday, I saw a Mossberg Blaze at a pawn shop with a $100 tag on it, but I imagine I could've gotten it for less, just didn't have much cash this week.
    Has anyone of you owned one? Should I march back in there and snag it?

neophyte likes this.
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

First I have heard of the "Blaze". Is it a recent addition to their line?

3. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist

Omaha NE
    I had a Mossberg T715 AR15 wannabe and it was somewhat troublesome for me. I think it was the design of the 25 round magazine. I have heard the "Blaze", particularly the one that is an AK47 clone, is less troublesome and still lots of fun to shoot. A hundred bucks is a pretty good gamble on a nice .22. I think I got $150 out of my T715 when I traded it in at Scheels so you would never lose any money on it.

4. MoDoc

MoDoc G&G Enthusiast

This was a pretty standard Blaze model, mostly polymer, very lightweight. I haven't really held a new one, only looked at them online. The one in the pawn shop may or may not have had a magazine for it, and it had some odd marks like someone had used a small screwdriver to extract a stuck round from the chamber. I've decided to NOT go look at it again, and the fever that grips me when I see a low $ .22 rifle has left me.

ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  5. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

I prefer 22's from the 1940's to the 70's. Specially bolt ones.
    Not the bottom line ones,but their standard rifles.Mag or tube!
    Usually well made.

mauser9, Big Dog and MoDoc like this.
  6. MoDoc

MoDoc G&G Enthusiast

I have given guns from bolt-action to low-cost semi-autos to my nephews and great-nephews and nieces, and part of the fun has been teaching them how to get past the inevitable fails of .22 rimfire ammunition. I tailor the gun to each particular situation, and have purchased a good number of Mossberg 702 & 802 models for first guns, despite my fond memories of starting out with a Marlin M60. [ which I've also given away ]

7. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    I'm with M14Man. Older is better. And as for the Mossberg, you prolly made a good call passing it buy. My $0.02

minkowski1552 likes this.