Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ran into a good deal on a Mossberg Maverick 88, and was wondering if its a decent shotgun. I was also impressed, after further research, that modifications, such as Knoxx products, are available for this shotgun. This is the first I've seen of this shotgun, so I am a bit wary of it. I figured maybe one or two of you guys might have some experience with this shotgun. If so, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well as far as shooting it i love mine i got it for new 137.99 at Adcademy Sports. I have shot countless slugs buckshot and target shot for a full 4 hours and the barrel didn't really get so hot just warm. My shoulder on the other hand was so numb i couldnt feel the recoil :D. AS for mods i would like to know what i could do for it but i never really since anything.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
It's a great shotgun for the price, only thing different from a Mossberg 500 is the safety.

Nothing wrong with it if it's your cup of tea. Me, I'd go with a 500 due to the safety, but that's just me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, theres all sorts of different things you can add to modify it to fit your liking. Here, check out Knoxx Industries, www.knoxx.com/. They've all sorts of products, like pistol grips, recoil reducing folding stocks, drum magazines, box magazines, available for Mossbergs, Remingtons, and Winchesters. Everything on there fits the Maverick from what I can tell. After Ig et my handgun, I'm thinking about getting a Maverick with a COPStock, and tactical sling. Thanks for the reply,

Jeff

·
Registered
630 Posts
As far as I know, anything that fits on the Mossberg will fit the Maverick. I believe the Maverick has only one action bar whereas the Mossberg has two.

-UR

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply Silent, BRG3, and Uncle Red. To clarify, the older model Maverick had one action bar, but the newer model has two action bars. I'm thinking this will be a worthy investment. Afterall, it is a Mossberg.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
They are definatley worth the money and a good deal at even full retail price. I have seen them as low as 150.00 NIB. THey are the same thing as a Mossberg, just under a different name. Buy it and you'll be happy. Later I will post up a pic of mine. I went a little overbord with the mods, but oh well.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
:cheer: Thanks man. It's always been an enjoyable site here at G&G and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon :right:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand the Maverick has a fixed choke. I used to have a diagram explaining the different types of chokes, but am I able to shoot slugs with a fixed choke? I think I remember hearing that sabots are for rifled barrles, and fosters are for smoothbores, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
You are correct, sabots are for rifled barrels, fosters for smoothbores. Regarding chokes, most likely your results would be better with a fixed choke than a screw in choke of the same constriction. As a rule of thumb, the less choke the better for accuracy, but for safety, one could probably use up to a standard full choke and be ok. As those were around when fosters were designed, and they're designed to flex for standard chokes. The newer xtra full and XX full postdate foster slug designs, and I would not risk using them in those chokes.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]

As promised. This is the Mossberg 500A police edition, but very similar to the Maverick 88.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks BRG3, and SKS. Nice picture by the way SKS. Got enough ammo on there?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
There is never enough ammo. I have the 50 round bandoleer too, so I can I play Pancho Villa

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
I did the Academy deal and it works great with 2 1/2 and 3" shells. I shined the action so it would work real smooth. just take off the barrel and shake the receiver downward and the plug will drop out. [Remember to put back in when hunting.] Get that short barrel, and nothing will beat it in the hallway. #4, 00, 000, slug in that order.

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
I did the Academy deal and it works great with 2 1/2 and 3" shells. I shined the action so it would work real smooth. just take off the barrel and shake the receiver downward and the plug will drop out. [Remember to put back in when hunting.] Get that short barrel, and nothing will beat it in the hallway. #4, 00, 000, slug in that order.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's my HD gun, a mossberg 500, with pistol grips which I also occasionally use a butt stock on. It's always fun to shoot it at the range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

Few days ago, I've purchased a Maverick 88 Security Shotgun.

Before firing, I've cleaned the barrel and noticed that there was 5 little stripes inside the barel, juste after the cartridge chamber.
It's like a slug was fired and slightly damaged the inside of the barel.
Does it normal for a new shotgun?
I hope somebody will understand my poor english and give me an answer :196:

Thanks for you answer

Pred

1 - 20 of 75 Posts