Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current line up includes the Diamondback DB-15 5.56, S-A Saint Victor .308, Savage 110 Hog Hunter .350 Legend, Mossberg ATR100 .243, Mossberg MVP Scout .308, Mossberg 44US(c) 22 S/L/LR, and a Ruger 10-22. I HAD an Anderson AR-15 in 450 Bushmaster, but due to unreliable feeding because of magazine issues and a sub-par bolt, I traded it for the Hog Hunter.

I liked the 450 cartridge and am looking at getting the Mossberg Patriot Predator in this round. I have read several reviews and watched a couple of videos, but would like to get opinions from the membership here.

So, in 3..... 2..... 1..... GO!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I do not have a 450 but shoot the 45-70 Guide Gun at near identical velocity with the same bullets. I love that power level. That said, if hunting deer out to 200 yards and not beyond, a 30-30 is just as good as say the 350 Legend and beyond 200 you are lobbing the big rounds. and do not gain much. If you shoot stuff bigger than deer, it is a different issue.

One friend has one he built on an AR platform. He is a master gunsmith, a wildcatter for 50 years. He likes the round but does not hunt with it, just too many better deer rounds without all the extra thump. So, to him it is just another range gun. with big bullets which he likes. He is a power nut and if it is not a magnum he does not like it.

It equals my Guide Gun in power and that is good and it should be peachy to reload, so go for it. The rifle you mentioned also gets good reviews. Sorry no personal experience.

·
Premium Member
13,434 Posts
Don't know much on the 450, but it is a HOT ITEM at the moment. That being said....I fear it will, some time soon, be filed under the Passing Fad category.

As for the Ruger...I don't think you can go wrong. They are on fire right now!

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
Go for it! The Mossberg bolt line is similar to the Howa action and they are very good....I have a few Mossberg centerfire bolt guns and they are a good gun.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Go for it! The Mossberg bolt line is similar to the Howa action and they are very good....I have a few Mossberg centerfire bolt guns and they are a good gun.
Interesting. I didn’t know that.
I don’t (haven’t anyway) hunt with my .450 Bushmaster AR, but it rings steel like a boss. I like the cartridge.

·
Premium Member
3,951 Posts
I do not have or ever shot the 450 I did have a 45/70 that I liked alot just never had anything to hunt with it, it did way to much damage to whitetail deer.

I do have a mossberg patriot in 7mm08 and so far my daughter and my self really like the rifle bought it in June or July and have about 50 rounds through it no problems yet. My only issue was the cheap scope that came on it.

Reactions: RCoulter52

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, the .450 bushmaster uses .452 bullets. It pushes them out fast, but they’ve got terrible ballistic coefficients. I’ve only had real success reloading the .450 with the XTP Mag line of bullets. There’s real accuracy with those, and I wasn’t able to obtain good accuracy with any other bullet I tried.

The terrible coefficient on the bullets limits effectiveness to somewhere under 300 yards. Or so I’ve read.

Otherwise, it’s a cool package in an AR-15.

Reactions: RCoulter52

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing to keep in min the .450 bushmaster uses .452 bullets. It pushes them out fast, but they’ve got terrible ballistic coefficients. I’ve only had real success reloading the .450 with the XTP Mag line of bullets. There’s real accuracy with those, and I wasn’t able to obtain good accuracy with any other bullet I tried.

The terrible coefficient on the bullets limits effectiveness to somewhere under 300 yards. Or so I’ve read.

Otherwise, it’s a cool package in an AR-15.
I am a dedicated user of Hornady's bullets for 3 reasons..... 1; price..... 2; availability..... 3; I have ALWAYS gotten good accuracy with them. I am currently using the .243 95 grain SST, .284 139 grain SST, .308 165 grain SST, .355 165 grain FTX and 170 grain .355 Interlock. So, Hornady seems to be the natural choice.

Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts