Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for awhile I have been wanting to add a 7mm to the gun cabinet. I have been thinking about building another savage( rough cost 700+) but I have another JR hunting getting ready to start hunting this year. So I've been looking at all the youth rifles on the market and really not liking the looks of the new Axis. but i keep going back to the Mossberg Patriot youth. and decided today to go and see what I could find. I found one for a decent price(under $400) its the Mossberg patriot super youth bantam combo in the blue muddy girl camo. since that's what the daughter liked the best. chambered in 7mm08.

its a pretty standard youth rifle. 22" straight fluted barrel the bolt body it spiral fluted 5 round mag. 2 position safety. recessed crown. it came with weaver bases and a 3-9x40 dead ringer scope. length of pull is 12" but it has spacers to take it out to a LOP of 13" as she grows. the camo pattern is defiantly different but not bad.

Everything seems nice and tight the bolt is a little tight buts its brand new that's to be expected. the plastic mag fits nice and secure with no excesses movement. The scope for being a brand that i have never heard of is very clear and the adjustment knobs move nicely( pretty sure it will get replaced with a Leopold or vortex )

ill post pictures and a range report tomorrow

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chazam: ya the trigger seems pretty decent it has the LBT or lighting bolt trigger that's alot like a accu trigger from savage. I did dry fire it a few times and once the 2 meet its a nice clean break.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Wow that is quite a wild lookin stock cooker! Never seen one like that but I can see where it would appeal to a girl. The Patriot sounded pretty decent in a couple reviews I read a while back as far as trigger and build quality. Nice to see it is available in walnut too.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that is quite a wild lookin stock cooker! Never seen one like that but I can see where it would appeal to a girl. The Patriot sounded pretty decent in a couple reviews I read a while back as far as trigger and build quality. Nice to see it is available in walnut too.
Ya you can get walnut,black synthetic, green camo,pink camo, and the blue camo .
And in a pretty decent amount of cartridges too

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here is the range report. The rifle shot and handled very nicely. No complaints at all so far with the gun. The trigger was very nice and crisp the rounds feed smoothly from. The mag the bolt was smooth .

I was shooting handloads ,
The load was a 139gr honady interbond
45.0gr of reloader 16
Win large rifle primer
Remington brass at standard coal

Now for the cheap scope report it's JUNK. After 4 shots the cross hair was spinning like a top.

I have no idea where my shots were going other than into the backstop. Fired 4 rounds no shots on paper at 100yards.

Now to buy a quality scope to put on it

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Had good luck with that Vortex 2-7 I bought so far. of course plenty of choices out there. Glad ya liked the trigger.

·
Premium Member
3,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I went to buy a scope this morning at rural king they carry a decent amount of scopes at far prices. looked at the Vortex crossfire II 4-12x44 really liked then looked through a lower end price wise Leupold then looked at the Sig Sauer whisky 3 3-9x40& the 4-12x40 all were priced with in $80 bucks of each other. was going to bring home the vortex the kid walks in the back room to get it and comes back an says the only on we have is the floor model i ask if there was a discount for it. he say's no why would there be.
next i ask about the leupold get the same reply. to make this easy i ask if they have anything in stock that not a floor//demo model he again walks to the back room and comes back with the 3-9x40 Sig Sauer
so that's what i ended up buying. getting it mounted on the Mossberg today and hopfuly get a range trip in the next few days

·
Premium Member
10,392 Posts
So I went to buy a scope this morning at rural king they carry a decent amount of scopes at far prices. looked at the Vortex crossfire II 4-12x44 really liked then looked through a lower end price wise Leupold then looked at the Sig Sauer whisky 3 3-9x40& the 4-12x40 all were priced with in $80 bucks of each other. was going to bring home the vortex the kid walks in the back room to get it and comes back an says the only on we have is the floor model i ask if there was a discount for it. he say's no why would there be.
next i ask about the leupold get the same reply. to make this easy i ask if they have anything in stock that not a floor//demo model he again walks to the back room and comes back with the 3-9x40 Sig Sauer
so that's what i ended up buying. getting it mounted on the Mossberg today and hopfuly get a range trip in the next few days
Nice scope!

Love Rural Kings around here. Like a big buffet of everything. Hope they never go Woke.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts