Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend at Wal Mart I saw something new - A new production Mossberg 22 semi-auto called the plinkster. It had a lightweight barrel, a light synthetic stock, an airgun/22 optical rail, and a straight vertical detachable magazine similar to Marlin and Savage. Bolt held open on the magazine only, and closed when the mag was removed. I think it may have been under a hundred bucks.

Anyone know anything about them? I have never seen it anywhere else, including on Mossberg's website.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
PLastic simulated woodgrain stock? I've seent them on websites used for about $100-$119.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,708 Posts
Not a true "Mossberg" at all. It's actually a Brazilian-made cheapo from Magtech or their descendent. Not a bad gun for the price - but it's no real competition for the Ruger 10-22.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This stock was black. It seems to be brand new off the press. Not even Mossberg's website lists them, and Gunsamerica has nothing of the sort.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks to G3 for the post and Big Dog for the reply. I have just spotted one of these also, $89 brand new at Wally World.
Regards,
Shane

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,708 Posts
BRG3, the Plinkster is detailed on Mossberg's other website - Mossberg International:
http://mossbergintl.com/

Our local Wally World finally got one in - I saw it in the case, but didn't have time to give it a good look-see at that time.
I've been reading both pros and cons on this little rifle - some owners like it, some don't. That could indicate indifferent Quality Control. With luck, you'd get a decent one.
Spare magazines are available on their "Parts" page.

At Wally's, I also noticed the Marlin Model 60 has some interesting changes this year. The old curved bolt handle has been replaced by a knurled knob similar to the Plinksters. Also, the mag tube now extends to the muzzle (both blued and SS models) instead of being about three inches short of the barrel, as on my five year old Model 60SB. I hope that means they've increased the mag capacity back to what it was in the good ol' days. Might just mean a shorter barrel. Anybody know for sure? Guess I'll need to stop by Wally's again for an in-depth recon. :cool:

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boy do those G22s look interesting. Hope they work well. Not sure if I'd buy one or not.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I picked up a 60 at the bluers last week. Apparently a fella left it there and after the certified letters he never came for it. Got it for the cost of bluing $85.00. I also picked up a Stevens 311 in 12ga for the cost of bluing and charcoal hardening $165.00. Both are literally brand new from the bluer.

You'll never know unless you ask.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts