Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 MB shotties...one is set up for shot - close up and home defense. I would like to set up the other one for shooting slugs - for larger critters, mostly for protection, and to have the ability to shoot things further away. My property occasionally has a bear wandering around. Recommendations?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I have 2 MB shotties...one is set up for shot - close up and home defense. I would like to set up the other one for shooting slugs - for larger critters, mostly for protection, and to have the ability to shoot things further away. My property occasionally has a bear wandering around. Recommendations?
To get any accuracy at distance with a shotgun you will need a rifled barrel and a scope. The scope must attach to the barrel and not the receiver if the gun is a pump. The reason is that on the pump guns there is a little wobble if you rest the front of the pump on your hand or another object. If the scope is on the receiver, then you have to rest the barrel on your hand or other object. Any other kind of action it does not matter.

A rifled barrel is needed and the one with the cantilever mount on the barrel is the one you want.

I have a pump and a semi=auto with smooth barrels that I shoot slugs in. They are not very accurate, good for 75 yards to 100 at most. They would be OK for short range bear protection of course, just not for shooting game at distance.

I have a bolt action Marlin slug gun, that will shoot the sabot type slugs into one hole at 100 yards, as accurate as any rifle that exists. Nut you are not going to get that level of accuracy unless you have a bolt gun or a single shot with a rifled barrel.

I also suggest you buy a mold and reload your own slugs as it can be done very cheaply. Lee sells a 3/4 and a 1 ounce slug mold and you just place the slug in a shot cup just like you would bird shot. Any cheap loader, like the Lee will reload them. I also cast an load my own buck shot which is also pretty cheap to load.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,260 Posts
I have my son’s mossy youth bantam 20 with a rifled cantilever, ported barrel. It took a liking to 2 3/4 “ Lightfield slugs. I’ve harvested several deer with it using a Bushnell 2x7x32 dusk to dawn. Longest shot was a nice buck @ 145 paces. That would be about the limit. It’s a great gun in a ground blind. Easy to move around. If I have light clothes, I use a recoil pad to extend the length of pull a bit. If I have a heavy coat, it’s perfect. With the stock smoothbore, makes a handy rabbit gun or smacking wood ducks in the flooded timber. The group is at 50 yards. Opens up a little at 100. Not the “best” there are more efficient slugs, but very adequate.
Air gun Shotgun Machine gun Hat Gun barrel
Font Circle Recreation Magenta Pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
This is what I have on my Mossberg 500. It turns it into a deer killin 200 yd rifle using the Hornady SST slugs.

Plus 1 on those Hornady SST slugs. My bolt gun Marlin puts them in one hole at 100 yards.I would not be afraid to take a 200 yard shot at all with them. The only time I hunt deer with a shotgun is when our lease runs out and I hunt public land or on a military base. I only killed one deer with them, a 12 point whitetail. He went maybe 20 yards. Excellent round. They are not cheap, but you only need one per deer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. Most people I have talked to have never even heard of using slugs in a shotgun. I have ordered a picatinny rail for my mb 500. I am assuming that if I mount a scope on that that I will be OK?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Thanks for the input. Most people I have talked to have never even heard of using slugs in a shotgun. I have ordered a picatinny rail for my mb 500. I am assuming that if I mount a scope on that that I will be OK?
In some states shotguns are the only thing allowed for deer hunting and some military bases I have hunted on shotguns with slugs are the only thing allowed for elk. The same on military bases and much state land here in Oklahoma. When I was stationed in Georgia shotguns with buck shot were common, I despise buck shot for deer, buckshot are for people and skunks and coyotes or other critters. #4 buck is particularly nice for foxes or raccoons on the run. Once before I was old enough to know better I shot 3 ducks on the rise with it, in one shot.

If you have a smooth bore and are just putting a scope on it that will work. However, you will not get the range of the sabot slugs that are fired out of a rifled barrel. You will need to test various ammo to see what works best. Normally if you have a smooth bore and can get 4 inch groups at 75 yards that is pretty good. With the fully rifled barrels and sobot style slugs, you can get one hole groups at 100 yards, just like a rifle.

One other thought. If your Mossy is threaded for chokes, you can buy a "rifled choke tube" that just screws into where your choke would go. It only has a few inches of rifling so it will not spin the slug like a fully rifled barrel will do. Some people report good results but I have no personal experience. Here is a picture, you can buy them on ebay . This one fits Winchester. Browning and Mossberg.Amazon.com : Carlsons 40040 Rifled Winchester Browning Mossberg Choke Tubes, 12 Gauge,Black : Sports & Outdoors If you do add this rifled choke you will probably need to buy the sabot slugs for the best accuracy. Hope this helps.

Eye Cosmetics Human body Camera accessory Camera lens

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thank you! So to get the highest accuracy with slugs at >100 yards, I should go with a rifled barrel. With a rifled barrel do I also need a rifled choke?
Also, all of the slug barrels I see are set for a 6 shell tube - I have done a mod on mine for the mag tube to hold 8 shells. Should I keep on looking? or is there some inexpensive way (<$100) to have the mag tube holder moved out to hold the 8 shell tube? Is it better to have a barrel ported (drilled) or get a screw on device?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
There is some good advise from the smart guys ahead of me on this thread. Ohio was shotgun deer hunting with only slugs for many years and I've killed my share with a 12 ga Remington 870 with a rifled barrel. That old pump gun is more accurate than my eyesight is these days with the iron sights.

The answer would be no you can't put a screw in choke in a rifled barrel and I would probably spend my time and money converting the mag tube back to the original configuration to accept a rifled slug barrel.

Reactions: Slugfest

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Thank you! So to get the highest accuracy with slugs at >100 yards, I should go with a rifled barrel. With a rifled barrel do I also need a rifled choke?
Also, all of the slug barrels I see are set for a 6 shell tube - I have done a mod on mine for the mag tube to hold 8 shells. Should I keep on looking? or is there some inexpensive way (<$100) to have the mag tube holder moved out to hold the 8 shell tube? Is it better to have a barrel ported (drilled) or get a screw on device?
Yes. To get the most accuracy you need a rifled barrel. And to get the most accuracy out of that rifled barrel you need to shoot the slugs with the sabot. Lots of reasons, but primarily because they have a different rate of twist.With my bolt action older Marlin or the new Browning or Savage bolt action slug guns, a 200 yard shot with the scope is totally doable. My gun shoots one hole at 100 yards.

The second most accurate method is to use a smooth barrel and add the rifled choke onto the end, Also, the most accurate is probably the sabot type slugs. There are people who report good results with more standard slugs, particularly the Lightfield, but you just have to try different slugs and use what works. You are looking at pretty good groups to 75 yards with the traditional or Foster type slugs. But 100 yards is certainly doable. Just depends on your acceptable groups.

The third option is to just use a smooth bore and Foster type slugs. Millions of deer have been killed with the normal shotgun and slugs. Many of the smooth bore guns intended for deer hunting were nothing more that a short barrel with a rifled sight on it, I have one. I use it more for defense now. Those will only be accurate at shorter ranges, for me that was about 75 yards, I was 5-6 inches at 100 yards with the smooth bore and traditional slugs. Again you just have to find the most accurate for your gun.

I cannot answer regarding the shell tubes. My guns do not care what the lower tube has in it, the barrel on my guns like the 870 Supermag is set for 4 rounds of the 3.5 inch shells and I think 4 of the 3 inch and shorter. I certainly understand the reason for a 6, 7, or 8 round tube, but my tactical approach is totally different. If I am engaging something out to 100 yards and I need multiple rounds, I am going to have the shotgun sitting nearby, probably with buckshot in it and will be engaging the many bullet option with the AR 15 or AK 47 that easily hold 30 round mags that can be changed in 10 seconds, the shogun is too slow in my view for massive firing. Just my style.

I have no good advice on the porting for a shotgun. I do not like porting at all except maybe on a big magnum rifle where the recoil is harsh. I would not want it on any kind of defensive gun because all that extra noise is in your face and worse if you are defending from inside a building. To me a defensive shotgun is seldom used beyond 100 yards and more often used with buckshot at less than 50 yards, although there is always a good use for shotgun slug for defense. They do some damage to a car that might be rushing your way and would rattle the teeth of folks inside.

I like your concept of .using 2 shotguns in a defensive battery. if the range of engagement is not too far, like in a residential neighborhood. 12 gauge ammo is always going to be around. And as most survival minded people are aware, it is pretty easy to make slugs from cheap target type bird shot. My method is to simply open up the case and but the shot back in very slowly while I am adding hot glue. You end up with bird shot welded together. If you want you can take a little of the shot out and use it for other reloads and have a lighter slug which will give a little more range. My method is to buy the 1 and 1/4 ounce loads, then take out 1/4 ounce leaving a 1 ounce slug. That also makes room for the hot glue. Not the best for many uses but in a survival mode would be adequate for deer and people at 50 yards maybe more. So, having a set of 12 gauge guns set up makes sense to me, especially if you live in town, I do not.

Not mentioned but my take on any gun that is gong to be used for defensive purposes of the house or cabin, is the primary walk about gun, must have a light on it. They do not need to be expensive, I have some of the cheap ones from Optics Planet and Sportsman Guide and they never wear out, some are 10 years or more old. For years I only used the expensive stuff but find it a waste of money today. I am retired military and if going on a tour for 6-8 months in harms way, I might pay $159 for a small light on a gun, but back at home, the $40 light works just fine. I have an old pump 12 under the bed as I write this. It started as a 28 inch tube, today it is 19 inches. It has killed deer, coyotes, racoons, badger, duck, rabbitts, quail, and the list goes on. It rode shotgun at 2 police agencies that I worked for. Today it only has a light attached to the barrel and an ammo saddle on the butt, nothing more. I have used it to defend my life, and it sit ready decades latter under the bed, It holds 4 in the magazine tube and 1 in the barrel. That gives me 5 rounds fired, which should be plenty if engaging only 2 persons. That gives me 2 shots at each and one miss, then I have to reload or go to the handgun, That works at home, it would not work if you were at a peaceful protest in Michigan. Then those 8 round tubes would be well be worth the money.

Shotguns work.

Just my 2 cents, more experienced people than me on this site.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you. I am very humbled by the wealth of information that you all have shared with me. Yes, SG #1 will be home and surrounding yard perimeter use with a light and various flavors of shot - probably a red dot scope just for kicks. SG #2 will be for surrounding yard perimeter and further - off into the rest of my property. That is the one I am thinking of getting ported because of the use of slugs and a heavier mix of powder....still struggling with the choice of a scope. I have read some good reviews about the recent generation of red dots but a lot of info pages say that their accuracy wanes after 80 yards or so. What I like most about them is that they are smaller and lighter than an optic scope and have as many as 11 degrees of brightness, so they are more useful throughout a greater range of the day than standard optics. But the standard options recommended for SG with slugs get good reviews up to 200 yards. My ability right now is only about 50 yards, but it is something I want to practice into.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Thank you. I am very humbled by the wealth of information that you all have shared with me. Yes, SG #1 will be home and surrounding yard perimeter use with a light and various flavors of shot - probably a red dot scope just for kicks. SG #2 will be for surrounding yard perimeter and further - off into the rest of my property. That is the one I am thinking of getting ported because of the use of slugs and a heavier mix of powder....still struggling with the choice of a scope. I have read some good reviews about the recent generation of red dots but a lot of info pages say that their accuracy wanes after 80 yards or so. What I like most about them is that they are smaller and lighter than an optic scope and have as many as 11 degrees of brightness, so they are more useful throughout a greater range of the day than standard optics. But the standard options recommended for SG with slugs get good reviews up to 200 yards. My ability right now is only about 50 yards, but it is something I want to practice into.
One thought on scopes. There is a massive line of AR 15 scopes that are fairly cheap and work very well for 200 yards and even beyond. I have 3 of these Barska scopes on ARs and a Mini 30. Some are 10-15 years old and they never have failed. They are $123 at Sportsmans Guide. They have an illuminated reticle, some have both red and green. I have other similar scopes that are nearly identical. We compared them to Burris $500 scopes and cannot tell any difference. I also have one with a blue reticle I love it. I use them on the ARs in 762 x 39 and 300 Blk for deer hunting in the evening when deer move right before dark. They are short and compact and I like them a lot.

Cylinder Auto part Fashion accessory Metal Pipe

Here is another one at SG, it is only $72 and says it has a 500 yard range and both a Blue and Red illuminated reticle. I only have one of the Hammers brand for maybe 6-7 years but never had a problem with it.

Camera Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Video camera

As you can see, they look identical.

On my deer hunting bolt action 12 and on my 870 deer gun, I have full size hunting scopes, but if I scope a shotgun for defense it would definitely be one of these. I am sure there are lots of guys on here with scoped shotguns that have more experience than me that could chime in.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
A scope won't do you much good in the night without some type of illumination. If you're serious about home defense out to 100+ yards you might even think about looking at a varmint type set up with light/laser and scope on your 1st line of defense, something with a remote on/off switch near the gun grip or forearm.

Then fall back on the buckshot or smaller pellets at closer ranges.

I agree with Freedom Fighter, for my purposes I would rather engage at long distance (if req'd) with something like an AR or AK, transition to shotgun only at closer ranges and then fall back on handgun as my last choice.

I have a AR-15 300 Blackout at the ready with 180 gr bullets and a RDS, right beside a 20 ga bantam Mossberg 500 with 000 buck shot and a 40 S&W next to that with 180 gr SD ammo. I'm not paranoid, just prepared to engage at different ranges.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
A scope won't do you much good in the night without some type of illumination. If you're serious about home defense out to 100+ yards you might even think about looking at a varmint type set up with light/laser and scope on your 1st line of defense, something with a remote on/off switch near the gun grip or forearm.

Then fall back on the buckshot or smaller pellets at closer ranges.

I agree with Freedom Fighter, for my purposes I would rather engage at long distance (if req'd) with something like an AR or AK, transition to shotgun only at closer ranges and then fall back on handgun as my last choice.

I have a AR-15 300 Blackout at the ready with 180 gr bullets and a RDS, right beside a 20 ga bantam Mossberg 500 with 000 buck shot and a 40 S&W next to that with 180 gr SD ammo. I'm not paranoid, just prepared to engage at different ranges.
Are you loading your own 20 gauge? 000 buck is pretty rare in 20 gauge, maybe Dragon's Breath or somebody like them may sell them I have not seen them commercially. I cast my own 4 buck, 0 buck, 00 buck and 000 and can load some pretty interesting rounds. For people interested, Dragons Breath loads some pretty unique stuff. For example you can find a shotgun load that may be one huge ball and then several small buckshot. They even sell round balls that are tied together by a wire, for an interesting impact on target.

As to scopes and illumination I have played with that a bit. The AR scopes I suggested above when set on the lowest power, 3, with the colored cross hairs on, and a light on the gun, work very well at 50 yards with a just a 150 lumins light on the gun. Here is a cheap one we have on several. I think it was $40.

Rectangle Font Plastic Camera accessory Auto part

If you just go up to 300 lumins or more you can see a human well at 100 yards and the lighted reticle shows up well on one of the lower settings. Like we both said, 100 yard shooting is not for shotguns when rifles are available.
Again, if you are defending a house or apartment in town it is very different than my house, some directions there is a house only 150 yards away, to the south it is proabably 800 yards of open terrain. Just depends on where you are. IMHO

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Are you loading your own 20 gauge? 000 buck is pretty rare in 20 gauge, maybe Dragon's Breath or somebody like them may sell them I have not seen them commercially. I cast my own 4 buck, 0 buck, 00 buck and 000 and can load some pretty interesting rounds. For people interested, Dragons Breath loads some pretty unique stuff. For example you can find a shotgun load that may be one huge ball and then several small buckshot. They even sell round balls that are tied together by a wire, for an interesting impact on target.

As to scopes and illumination I have played with that a bit. The AR scopes I suggested above when set on the lowest power, 3, with the colored cross hairs on, and a light on the gun, work very well at 50 yards with a just a 150 lumins light on the gun. Here is a cheap one we have on several. I think it was $40.

View attachment 170427
If you just go up to 300 lumins or more you can see a human well at 100 yards and the lighted reticle shows up well on one of the lower settings. Like we both said, 100 yard shooting is not for shotguns when rifles are available.
Again, if you are defending a house or apartment in town it is very different than my house, some directions there is a house only 150 yards away, to the south it is proabably 800 yards of open terrain. Just depends on where you are. IMHO
I mis-spoke about what's in my 20 ga., It's been a while. I have Winchester 20 Gauge 2-3/4 Inch 20 Pellet 3 Buck in it right now.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I mis-spoke about what's in my 20 ga., It's been a while. I have Winchester 20 Gauge 2-3/4 Inch 20 Pellet 3 Buck in it right now.
Yea. They load commercially #1, #2, and #3 buck and I have seen # 4buck, but the 20 gauge case is just not big enough to get them in side by side so that is a limiting factor. Nothing wrong with the # 3 though. They are a true 1/4 inch and each one weighs 23.4 grains and at a slow 1,100 fps each puts out 63 grains of energy. For reference most 22 pistols only get about 850-900 fps or about the same energy. So, if you have 20 of them coming out at once, it would be like 20 rounds from a 22 pistol all at once. Sounds like a pretty decent defense round. LOL

There is some specialty 20 gauge ammo out there from a company called Wolf Hill. I make my own but here is a couple of theirs. That is a .58 caliber ball and 8 #4 buckshot. Here is one of their wire loads also. Also kinds of innovation out there.
Cylinder Gun accessory Gas Auto part Metal
Product Test tube Lighting Plastic bottle Cylinder

Reactions: 455rocket
1 - 18 of 18 Posts