Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 22. LR carbine-style semi-automatic rifle, and I have three rifles in mind. The three that I am considering are the Ruger 10/22, Savage 62A, and Mossberg 702. I've heard many people praise the Ruger 10/22 for it's reliability and ease of use, but in your opinion, which of these three rifles makes the grade?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
The Ruger has an unbelievable accessory\modification selection and a large service sector that offers everything from take-down mods to accurizing. Personally, for a basic knock-around semi-auto plinking\hunting rifle, I like the good old Marlin 60. BTW, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks, and I am looking for something that is very customizable. However I am on a college budget and the cheaper rifle is appealing, making the ruger 10/22 pricier. However, price often dictates value, and it still is dirt cheap..

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
You can generally find a basic wood\blued 10\22 for around $130 @ Wally World and Academy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own the Marlin 60 and a Ruger 10/22 with the 18 1/2 barrel the Marlin is the cheapest and the bolts locks to the rear on last shot that is a nice option. The 10/22 is a little more money but a nice gun, lots of accessories. What are you using it for. The Savage will be the most accurate of the 3 guns, Savage is well know for great shooting right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would take a good hard look at the ruger. The rotary clip they come with is the best in the industry, IMO. As toolman said, their aftermarket is bigger than the other two combined. As far as accuracy goes, the 10/22 is an accurate rifle. A .22 isn't really intended for use outside of 100 yards anyways.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If it is something that you want to customize then I would go for the ruger. Even with a college budget you can slowly get all kinds of things for it, it might take a little while but if you watch the gun shows you can find a lot if stufff for the 10/22 at decent prices. Also look at the used racks at the local shops you might be able to find one at a very cheap price.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Unfortunately, you will not find a 10/22 for $130 any longer. But, the 10/22 is the only one I would recommend. I have three of them! They are great rifles, and the options for after-market accessories are endless. My only other recommendation would be for a Marlin Model 60.

Get the 10/22!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
.22 rifle

Wal-Mart in New Hampshire no longer sells firearms. Ruger 10-22's up here sell for $190-$240 new, and about $160 used. New model 60's cost $150 and up, depending on the Dealer.

Just do not buy a CZ 511 semi auto. Thay are attractive guns, but I paid $300 for one new and it is a jamming piece of junk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts