Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I've talked to many gunsmiths, and the general concensus is that Mossbergs are underrated. Of 12 gunsmiths I have talked to, the only COMMON complaint is that the safety button loosens and is lost. Outside of that, they have never had one in for major repairs.
I have a 500 and a 590 and they are great shotguns. I had to send my 870 to Scattergun Technologies to have it reworked because it was worn out. Course, it's only 38 years old and had been in a police cruiser exclusively until last year when I bought it...

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Well I just cant leave this thread alone
I reciently got one of the 1897 Winchester Pump (Trench Broom)
shotguns.
Dang, It's made of REAL walnut and steel.
It is Marketed by Norinco.
It seems to nice to be from China.
Norinco is the catch all State owned Firearms company for All of China.
I think this gun came from Some British /HongKong gunmaker.
Anyway, you seemed to be looking for options.
The best feature for Me on the ol mod97 is
A) The Bayonet Lug(shooting skeet with Bayonet attached is priceless)
B) when you pump the action of the shotgun, if you hold the trigger down the shotgun will fire when the slide has finished it's stroke.
So it is VERY fast to shoot.
Ya gotta remember this so as to not waste a follow up shot.
Of course if you are clearing a room or a trench of the huns then it's perfect for sending the Kiasers boys to valhalla.
AND when it gets to hot to hold just click on the Bayonet and stick it in the ground to let cool.
Pretty cool huh?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moss 500 abr

I picked up a used Moss 500abr in great shape back in 1972 for $150.00 and have put a lifetime of shells through the 30" full choke 3" mag. I bought it after I got back from Nam and still have it and will shoot turkey with it this year. All I do is clean it and keep the stock tight. ~ John

21 - 24 of 24 Posts