Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious which grain of bullet is the most accurate in SKS's?
Also what is the rate of twist in these?
Not having had mine for long, I have only had a chance to shoot Winchester and Wolf ammo so far in mine. And I haven't had a chance to see what it can do on paper-yes I realize it is not a bench, SubMOA rifle-yet I like to get a idea of what I am shooting with.
It seems to like the Wolf 122gr FMJ's the best.
While the Wolf 154gr Soft Point's shoot pretty good, the tips of the bullets get smashed while being feed into the chamber.
My SKS hates the brass cased Winchester rounds, they don't feed and eject well.
What do you guys say?
Oh, and please don't tell me handloads. I think it would be a waste of my time to handload for a rifle I shoot so much ammo through just burning shells.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've shot brown bear, some east german practice(plastic core), some called Sapsan and wolf.
My chinese liked the plastic stuff, accuracy sucked.
My sons yugo double tapped on wolf but we found a wad of cosomline in the firing pin drilling. on the whole we run wolf, my son chews it up too fast anyway to test accurately. :assult: :assult: :assult: :uzi: :uzi:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,690 Posts
My Chinese Norinco SKS shoots about the same with all ammo I've tried. About a six inch group at 100 yards.

My Yugo SKS shoots the same with Wolf, but tightens to about three inches with Russian Ulyanovsk white box ammo, and as tight as two inches with the old German ammo that's so hard to find now.
With Remington/UMC and Winchester commercial ammo, I have gotten as tight as 1.5 inches at 100 yards! That is scoped, of course. Open-sighted, I get about four inches at 100 yards with Remington/UMC as well as Russian.

Wolf sucks for anything other than plinking and making noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Yugo really likes Yugo mil-surplus ammo. I got a couple cases at a gun show and had no problems what so ever with it. It comes in white boxes already loaded on stripper clips and I can shoot off 5 inch groups at 100yds(open sights) all day long. Anyone else ever try it? Wolf is junk I have had nothing but problems with it my gun doesn't want to eject it all the time. Thats the only ammo that does that

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My SKS is a Norinco carbine with a RedDot scope on it. And it seems to like the 122gr Wolf ammo. I have only had a chance to shoot some rocks at a distance with it- only in a safe envoriment of course- and I can hit about a 12" rock at 150 yards consistantly shooting sitting with my elbow supported. Oddly enough, I haven't been able to do well with it on a sandbag. But like I said I would like to paper it a little. I really need to put a 4x32, or something in the like, on it to better see what it's capable of.
I haven't had a chance to try Remington UMC's yet though.
Wolf ammo is not corrosive, is it? It's advertised to not be.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My Norinco seems to really like the Norinco/Chinasports ammo. It's copper washed steel cased, 124 Gr. silverpoint.

Also does good with that type, not sure of the maker, but the JHP, laquered case stuff that comes in the little plain white cardboard boxes.

Wolf and Monarch seem to both do adequately well for me, nothing special, but cheap and readily available.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Myarmor,

I fully agree with your thoughts on reloading of the SKS round particularly because of the inability to produce it as cheap as you can buy it and plus I have always questioned if you can obtain any better accuracy from imported semi-auto actions.

But...seriously....does anyone have any experience in reloading it and does it increase the accuracy?

I'd like to know because it's a subject that a few of us have kicked around for the elk, deer and javalina hunters in our circle of friends.

I have read stories about custom military handloading for use in sniper ammo in the Garand and the M14 but I have always thought those rifle actions were far better than, say, the SKS, FAL, etc.

Also, I have toyed with the idea of putting a red dot 'scope' on my SKSes but haven't because I had no one to ask....is the red dot fine enough to to not obscure the target (in other words is the red dot so large it covers what ever you are sighting on)?

I've seen red dots advertised with no magnification and a few in 2X. Which would you recommend and why?

Are red dot sights sturdy enough to take the force of recoil?

All things given (tight fitting bolt cover) does the red dot hold true and accurate after each shot or does it require occassional re-adjustment?

I've tried a couple of cheap Chinese scopes but I've not been satisfied with either.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well Dale, I bought my SKS only a few months ago-my tax return gift to myself :right:- and I have only had a chance to shoot just under 200 rounds through it. The chum who sold it to me gave me a BSA reddot with it.
I have never owned a BSA before but know of a lot of people who absolutly hate them. At first I was going to take it off but I gave it a chance.
Personally I never saw the real need for me to own a reddot, but I honestly like it on my SKS. The dot on it has 11 different setting on it for brightness and the brighter it goes the more it covers, and I think it covers 4-6 inches at 100 yards. It has held pretty good zero for me, and if it has ever strayed off, it isn't by very much at all. It has no magnification, just the dot. Pretty cool that the dot follows the barrel. I feel confident enough to take it deer hunting right now if it was the season, and I plan on taking it at least once this year.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
thanks........that convinces me to try one.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I have a tasco red-dot on my mossy 500, but not on my SKS. The only problem I have with it is that it has to be cranked to the highest level or you won't see it in daylight - probably a good idea to carry spare batteries if you're out hunting. Apart from that, handles the recoil of a 12g - no problems yet. The dot may be a little too big for a rifle but recoil shouldn't be an issue.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,839 Posts
My Norchinco and Yugo both like the S&B. Too bad it's not imported any longer. Silver Bear seems to shoot well.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,690 Posts
I find the BSA Red Dot works well on my Hi-Point Carbine (shaddup, Gunrunner . . . ;) ) and my Bushpup. Haven't tried it on the SKS or AK, but it does sound like a good thing to try. My only problem is, my favorite target design uses a big red stickie dot in the center - the Red Dot can get lost in it!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gunnssb and BigDog have a good point to the small cons with a reddot. But for lowlight conditions of shooting in shaded areas I love it. Just remember to cut the dot off after you shoot, or else you will run through a lot of batteries.
As for the Silver Bear ammo-I haven't tried those either. I think I will go order some from AIM and give it try.

·
Registered
389 Posts
there's good surp available from cheaperthandirt.com
I normally use wolf. The 122 FMJ lead ones. I used to use the hollow point bi-metal but because of fire season we can only shoot 'em about 2 weeks a year.

I have about 300 rounds of the Federal American eagle and about 150 of the UMC that I'm going to shoot this weekend. I bought them specifically for the brass. :D

now all I need is some .311" bullets Chuck's got the reloading data up on his site. There's even controlled expansion deer bullets available to load it with.

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how handloads work for me.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Mine likes the Silver Bear Match with the funky little nipple on the tip of the bullet. I normally use it or Wolf. Rugged, check out Graf & Son @ www.grafs.com they carry a Hornady ballistic tip specifically for the 7.62x39.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts