Most accurate semi-auto .22LR?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by gerry303ca, Jan 13, 2010.

1. gerry303ca

gerry303ca G&G Newbie

What is the most accurate .22LR semi-auto (out of the box) currently available? I know Ruger 10-22 is good, but most accurate ones have had up-grades or customizing.

2. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Enthusiast

you've opened a can of worms here friend.

3. scroamer65

scroamer65 G&G Newbie

Suggestion Marlin Model 60, tube fed .22lr only

4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

This,

is just somewhere beyond answering. The Marlin 60 is a very well known
    gun that has been popular for decades.

The Savage .22 gets good reviews although it is a much lesser known gun than the Ruger or the Marlin.

If you check out the Ruger website you can see a somewhat newer version with a target/varmit weight barrel and upgraded trigger. If it comes to out of the box I would most likely choose this gun.

For a more moderte price I would most likely go with the Marlin.

This is a forum and you will get varying posts. I am not one who will argue with the views of others on this question.

5. rimfirenut

rimfirenut G&G Addict

I have many semi's, Ruger, Marlin, Winchester, Browning, vintage to new and out of all of them my Belgium Browning SA 22 is the most accurate with the Winchesters just behind them followed by the Marlin 60's. Reliability follows the same order with the older ones being the best and smoothest.. The Marlin and Ruger get a occasional jam but not the Browning (from the master himself,:)hail: John M. Browning ) or Winchester 63 designed by T.C. Johnson which are the 2 FINEST semi auto actions I think money can buy, bar none.....All will work just depends on how much $$$ your willing to spend...

6. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

This is going to become bigger than the Ford vrs Chevy or the XD vrs Glock in the handgun forum. I have shot a Marlin right out of the factory box and own a 10/22 with no add ons out of the box. They were both very good shooters. I went with the 10/22 because I was shooting one with a friend. He was teaching his 11 year old to shoot and it was the same 10/22 his Dad taught him to shoot close to 50 years ago and it was still shooting perfect.

7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Which ever one shoots best for YOU, using your ammo and shooting style.

8. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

I'm all about those Marlins, especially after having a 10/22 Target model that sucked big green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts.

Marlin 60, awesome. Marlin 795, awesome.
    But read my post on repairing Marlin FTE's.
    Don't use Remington ammo if you can help it, and make sure the ejector wire is angled properly like the one in the pics...and a good bolt-polishing goes a LONG way to having a trouble-free life.

9. wiki wiki

wiki wiki G&G Newbie

Can you provide a link to the Marlin 60 FTE post? I tried the search function but couldn't find it, mine is stove piping something fierce.

10. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

I have a Marlin model 795. Grew up shooting a model 60. My dad used to split playing cards with his 60. I've taken off a chipmonks head at 75yds with my model 795. I can hit a small crabapple off the top of a fence post at 50yds with either one five out of five times. That is about as accurate as you're ever gonna need. Winchester 36gr in the 333 round gold box will stovepipe in either rifle. Anything else works fine.

11. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Ask and ye shall receive ;)
    http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/22-rimfire/87522-marlin-fte-repair.html

Don't forget, the Marlin 795 is currently under a $25 rebate until Dec 31st, 2010 :D
    http://www.marlinfirearms.com/PDFs/2010springcoupon.pdf

And here's a nice accessories list for the 795 & 60...
    http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/marlin/82869-marlin-60-795-accessories.html

12. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 G&G Newbie

I have found the new crop of "black rifle" .22 semi-autos to be pretty darn accurate. My GSG-5, Colt M4 and SIG SG522 semi-auto .22s to be one hole accurate at 25-50 yards. While you will pay roughly twice for them what you will pay for the 10-22 or the Marlin, they are a heck of a lot of fun to shoot; more so, IMHO than the aforementioned "boring" rifles.

13. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

Only ONE 22 semi-auto is a "Supremely Viable" SHTFweapon...:burnout:

THE LEDENDARY 10/22...J/K

14. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Yerp, because the squishy would TRULY have to have hit the fan for me to use one!!! :hmmm:

15. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

ive had a hankerin to get a 10/22 and mod the crap outa it.

16. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

17. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Get a 795 and do the same thing for less $$$ ;)

18. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

Well for what it is worth here is my 2 cents. I have a Ruger 10/22, if you can hold it on the target it usualy hits it, but the out of the box trigger SUX! Thats why new ones are so widely marketed. Have 3 marlins, they all shoot on target, but the stove pipe alot more then the Ruger. A friend of mine had a Browning that he swares by, as most browning .22 auto owners do. The remingtons are hit and miss on accuracy from what I've heard. And in recent years Winchester cusomer curtisy has went down the tube, so I don't know as I would want to buy one. But thats just my 2 cents take it with a grain of salt.

19. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Winchester closed it's rifle division some time back...no doubt, at this point, the Customer Service is likened to that where you take a number and it pulls the pin to a grenade ;)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted