Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda feeling the need to focus on something other than the China virus. I noticed that Bobski started a conversation back on November 3, 2017 titled, “What’s the most expensive shotgun you own?” Interesting to read.
Got me to thinking, why not do that for most expensive rifle (not counting scope)? Yours?
Mine: Sako 85 hunter stainless bolt action, walnut stock, in 30-06

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
probably my AR-30.

or maybe the 30-XCB wildcat I designed and had a rifle built to shoot.
by the time you figure in gunsmith time, having a reamer made, buying a barrel and trigger, etc. it's right up there.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Mine is a Mark V Deluxe Weatherby 300 Wby mag with fixed sites added by the custom shop. Probably in the $2,700 range today. I inherited it. I own a half dozen bolt deer rifles that group well under an inch, many are older, Winchester. Remington, Howa, and several ARs will group under an inch. None of the bolt guns were more than $500.00. I also do not buy expensive glass and I have killed more mature deer than nearly anybody I know, except my best hunting buddy, a nut job for big deer. I have put more than 100 big animals in the freezer over 50 years and they never knew I was a cheapskate.

Those Sakos are really nice guns. And while I never liked stainless much of my life for rifles, I sure like it now. And it make the Sako a showpiece. Lucky you.

·
<------------<<<-
3,945 Posts
Probably my CZ 550 FS in 308. I see similar rifles on Gunbroker for $1000-$1200. Somewhat regularly. The Zeiss 2-7x32 and Talley rings probably add another $400, or so. It's the only rifle I sprung some change for, but total I'm about $800 into the package. My previous job had some good perks.

IMG_5118.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Kinda feeling the need to focus on something other than the China virus. I noticed that Bobski started a conversation back on November 3, 2017 titled, “What’s the most expensive shotgun you own?” Interesting to read.
Got me to thinking, why not do that for most expensive rifle (not counting scope)? Yours?
Mine: Sako 85 hunter stainless bolt action, walnut stock, in 30-06

SAKO here too, AV with custom McMillan stock. 30-06
10822168_10205329529427124_9721336_n.jpg

·
Banned
744 Posts
My retirement present to myself was a C.Sharps 1874 long range target and hunting rifle in 45-110. Rifle was used with many bells and whistles. Used, the gun cost $2000.00. Came with sights and dies etc. Very accurate blackpowder rifle.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
In terms of what I paid for it, it has to be my CETME. I'm more interested in functionality.

Mind you, I've handled rifles that were worth five figures without the glass on them. Many years ago, when I was between jobs, I went to an estate sale in Connecticut that was being done by a scion of the Hollerith family. Hollerith, as in IBM. Old money, of the sort who have never worked in their lives. The old gentleman who was thinning the herd saw me looking wistfully at a heavy caliber custom Weatherby, and we got to chatting.

He told me his dad had taken it on safari to Africa before World War II, picked it up, and handed it to me casually. After I verified it was in fact unloaded, which kind of surprised Mr. Hollerith (he was not a gun guy), I asked him if I could dry-fire it. He said it was okay, and I brought it up to my shoulder. It moved naturally, perfectly balanced, made of the finest walnut, ebony, and ivory, with a silky smooth bolt and trigger. He was astute enough to see it fit me well, and told me he'd let it go for a price that would have at the time bought me a really nice luxury car. I chuckled and told him, "Sir, if you were to knock off the first two figures of that price, I still couldn't afford it." I suggested that he ought to get a copy of Shotgun News (this was long before the Internet) and contact one of the big auction houses; no one in the local firearms community could afford such wonderful guns as he was selling. He thanked me and said if any were left at the end of the sale, he'd do that.

Hand-crafted, exquisitely built, it was a thing of beauty. It's the sort of rifle everyone ought to have a chance to handle at least once in their lives.

·
Premium Member
6,286 Posts
Other than the many custom rifles I have built (and which I would rather not price out), the most expensive store-bought was the Supergrade .270 I just bought. Over $1600 Canadian dollars. It is purdy, though, and showing promise.

You're a lucky guy, Cyrano. Not many of us get to handle a masterpiece with a trigger.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
My latest, cost me $900. But it was money I made from picking up free brass at the club range! I was saving up for a new safe, this set me back a bit but I could NOT pass it up! Don't have a space cleared out for a safe yet anyway.....

I just started a thread about this, details are in that thread.
20200314_083954.jpg

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
Link to thread, please?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Other than the many custom rifles I have built (and which I would rather not price out), the most expensive store-bought was the Supergrade .270 I just bought. Over $1600 Canadian dollars. It is purdy, though, and showing promise.

You're a lucky guy, Cyrano. Not many of us get to handle a masterpiece with a trigger.
Ditto.
My most expensive is a Tika 270 Hunter, full wood, a half
brother of the Sako. $1,300 that was 23 years ago and
then a scope and mounts about $400.A cheap scope to
try it out and have never changed it dont need to.

·
Banned
754 Posts
A little off point but timely. The stainless 357 mag, Rossi model 92, 16 inch barrel is in stock. I collect levers and these little Rossis are among the most handi. They are never in stock with the 16 inch barrel and stainless. Took me 4 years to find one. They are in stock now but will be gone in a day. https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=95274&utm_source=KyGunCo Marketing&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Cabin Fever

$529.99 and free shipping

They also have the 454 Casull in stock, stainless 20 inch. $683. They have not been available for about 10 years. The picture in their add is of the 24 inch barrel. They kick like heck and weigh only 5.8 pounds. The 454 has both the tube and side loading and a recoil pad. Mine shoots 45 Colt as well.

Reactions: Ron The Legend
1 - 20 of 68 Posts