Gun and Game Forum banner

Most Popular Deer Caliber

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just want to know what caliber rifle you use to hunt deer with. Vote and please leave a comment or an addition. I am very interested to see these results so I encourage everyone to take part in this poll. Thanks!
-Tubbert Bilphus Raymond Jr

·
Registered
815 Posts
either 30-30 or 30-06
Its actually pretty close. Depending where you go one is more than the other. It depends alot on terrain.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is true, Within 150 yards I don't know as I wouldn't use a 30-30 over a 30-06. With less recoil, you are able to place your shot highly accurately therfor giving you a better chance at 1st shot kill. Thanks for posting Gio!
-Tubbert Bilphus Raymond Jr

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solid Choice Jerry, Definitly one I would use if I wanted accuracy out to about 200 yards or so.

How tight a group can you shoot with the 308? I shoot an 1 1/2incher with my Remington 7600 30-06. Just want to know, I love to hear everybody tell of their tightest grouping. Write in if you get a chance. Thanks for posting Jerry!
-Tubbert B Raymond Jr

·
Registered
397 Posts
Can't believe there was no .30-.30 vote. The .30-.30 has taken more deer than any other cartridge, last time I checked.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,575 Posts
Hi powerpoint & a belated welcome. I used my 700 BDL .308 in AZ on Muleys out to about 200 yards max comfortably.

I only get to shoot around 125 yards here and average about 2" or so groups. The scope is a little limiting, and I don't shoot enough to be as proficient as the gun.

I really only consider the .308 a good deer gun because it's so versitile on other applications. A wide range of projectiles, powders, loading data. Fits many applications. IMO equal to the venerable 06 unless your in the heavywieght projectiles. Then, the 06 takes the lead.

I have to agree about the thuty thuty :right: I'm inclined to think that people are going to post on what they have experience on. Come on down 30-30 guys and gals, join the party :)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Where is the Chevy S-10 catagory? Thats my best so far. LOL Here in Southern Maryland we can only use a bow, black powder, or 12ga/20ga Shotgun with a slug.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm about to get my hands on a 1990 (I think) S-15 (GMC) with a 350 Small Block in it, Appo. Should be an adventure after getting trailed from Seattle to Little Rock from my brother.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
It's a no-brainer.

The 30-06 is the greatest round with the most versatility.

It is good for antelope all the way to bear.

I don't think the Army really understood the significance of their development in that round at the time of it's conception.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I would go for 30-06.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
there is not one on your list thats not suitable for bambi killing, as long as the idiot behind the rifle does his job. this year i'll be shooting my 270WSM, so far the rifles best group has been .330". if you put a bullet through the heart(where it belongs), the caliber just doesnt matter, and bambi aint going far.

·
Registered
815 Posts
:confused: Shoot Bamis heart. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
.30-30 or 7mm rem mag
I didn't see a choice for 7mm rem mag. I saw 300 rem mag, which I've never heard of. Is that supposed to be 7mm instead of 300?

·
Registered
107 Posts
well boys, i do DEFINITELY like the 30-06 but i am a poor 21 yr old college student and havent ever been able to afford one. I killed my first deer at the age of 14 with a .243 from 125 yds and it was down in 30 yrds. I now use a
.257 roberts that was handed down to me from my grandpa and it is my favorite. Kicks like a bb gun and is one of the flattest shooting guns i have ever shot. I tried my luck with a friends .308 once, missed and never tried again. it was prob my own stupid fault being a 15 yr old with a gigantic gun and flinching but in any event, my point is that you can go with even smaller calibers than the ones listed and still take whitetails down with ease. As someone said b4, the calibers not as important as the dummy behind the gun. I like this post though, good idea powerpoint!

1 - 20 of 250 Posts