close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mounting a scope on a No 4 Mk2 (F) Enfield

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Old Sarge, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Old Sarge

Old Sarge G&G Newbie

Need a wee bit of help. What is the best way to mount a scope on my Enfield? I know you have mounts for it. My question is, I'd like to see what kind of scope(s) work best.
    I realize that my question sounds a bit elementary, but if that's only way I can explain my question. Being the eye sight isn't what it used to be, I need all the help I can get.
    So if you'll look past the presentation of this question, I sure would be glad to read and see what is available.

Old Sarge

2. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

Hi old sarge, I can relate to the eye sight. I knew I had a problem when my arms became to short to read the morning paper.

There are several ways to mount a scope on the No4 Enfield. One is to buy reproduction mount and pads for the 'sniper' or 'T' Enfield. This involves drilling and tapping the receiver and careful positioning of the mount pads. The repro mount and pads well run you about $150-200 bucks, plus any gunsmithing cost if you are not a DIY'er. If your interested in building a sniper clone it's a fun project. You can still find original mounts and pads, $$$$ or go with the repros.
    Here is a close up of what you would have, this is an original scope.
    [​IMG]

Second and maybe the best method is a clamp on mount. You don't have to drill and tap the receiver, there are several styles available.

ATI mount made from aluminum, it's a low cost mount that has both good and bad reviews.

I have this all steel mount on one of my Enfields and it's rock solid, cost is higher but in this case I think you get what you pay for.

S&K and B-square make clamp on mounts for the Enfield also. Gunbroker or evil bay are good sources for them.

You can mount a new scope or an older Weaver K series or Lyman Alaskan and get the look of the original sniper setup.

If you look around you can find some of the old mounts that were popular on the sporterized Enfields from the 50's and 60's. Here's a old drill and tap Williams model from the 50's on a sporter I'm working on.
    [​IMG]

This should give you some ideas, I'm sure some others well be along to share their suggestions.

3. Alan De Enfield

Alan De Enfield G&G Addict

If you've got a nice, original, un-babba'd Enfield dont 'hurt it' - always go with a no-gunsmith mount. I've used the B-Square and it worked fine.

If you've got a sporterised / bubba'd rifle then it wont do any harm to drill and tap.
    There was an 'official' scope mount produced by Parker Hale and used on the Police Sniper(No4 based) Enforcer, this has a Parker Hale part BA20 screwed into the top of the receiver, and a Parker Hale BA21 mounted in place of the rear sights (no drilling or tapping), add some rings and a scope of your choice and you are 'good to go'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. E_005

E_005 G&G Evangelist

Sorry to hi jack a thread, but I was wondering if Alan wouldn't mind sharing a litte info. I am getting ready to order a b square mount and scope for my Longbranch no 4 mkI* and have a couple of quick questions that go along well with this discussion.
    Alan, are you using the b square rings or weaver? Also if you are using the b square rings how big of a bell on the scope can you have? I don't have the $$$ for a Lyman scope so I will be going with something modern (and cheaper). Thanks for any advice and i hope this will answer some questions for me and Old Sarge.

5. Alan De Enfield

Alan De Enfield G&G Addict

I'm not going to be much help. I've sold the No4 that had the B-Square mount on it.

The mount was bought second hand and came with rings, I dont know if they were original B-Square or some other brand.
    The scope was one of my Sons "bigger is better" scopes with variable up to 35x magnification (if I remember) with a huge 'bell' on the front (I'd say well over 2" diameter)
    The mount does sit quite high and allow a good choice of scopes, It was always rock solid for me and I wouldnt hestitae to reccomend it.
    I have read that they can be a bit of a fiddle to mount first time and need a bit of 'teasing and squeezing', mine didnt, but it was secondhand so maybe it had all ready been done.

6. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

E_005, there is a scope mounting thread in the Lee Enfield section at
    http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php
    They discuss the different mounts on the market. If you go with a no drill mount the rail sits on top the receiver and the scope mounts high. I use Burris Signature Zee low rings with a 44mm bell and have plenty of room. The Burris Signature Zee with the inserts makes scope alignment a breeze.

If you want a 'sniper look" that the Lyman Alaskan gives you and don't want to spend a ton of money, take a look at the Weaver K2.5. You can find them on evil bay pretty cheap. They look a lot like the original British scope.

I would recommend the S&K steel mount over the B-Square, it uses a wedge under the charger slot and two screws at the rear sight mount. The B-square uses a single rear screw and the ejector screw to mount. Some have problems with the rear screw and some have alignment problems with the ejector screw hole in the mount not aligning with the hole in the receiver.

7. E_005

E_005 G&G Evangelist

Thanks a lot for the info guys, I truly appreciate it!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted