Mounting a scope on a Wingmaster?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by dosbow, May 8, 2008.

1. dosbow

dosbow Guest

I've got a Weaver T1 Converta Mount, how to I remove the pins for the mounting bolts? Also, do the washers go under the bolt head?
    Thanks, Dave

2. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Use a ball point pen or punch. Yes you can put the pins back in.
    Here is mine.
    [​IMG]
    And without the scope mount.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2008

3. dosbow

dosbow Guest

Very nice! Do the pins slide out from either side? I hope to be posting a pic like that this fall.......LOL
    Thanks for the info and the pics,
    Dave

4. jerry

USA
    Yes they will. I typically get in the habit of pushing them out one way. Pushing the pins from the trigger group is also part of the general maintenance for the 870. It gives access to the reciever and trigger group for inspection and cleaning.

Don't over tighten your screws. Albeit the reciver is steel, it could be overtightened and cause binding. Also be aware that the saddle clamp will ride over the left side of the reciever. If moisture etc. gets down in there you could have corrosion issues on the gun. I padded mine with clear duck tape and put a thin layer of grease on the side of the reciever.

Look forward to the fall pic :)

5. dosbow

dosbow Guest

They popped right out with a nail set. With those removed, does the trigger assembly drop down? I'm an archry guy new to guns......:)
    Thanks for the heads-up on the overtightening and possible moisture problem, I'll go loosen them up some right now.......
    Dave

6. jerry

USA
    Yes Sir, just grasp the trigger guard and pull down. The assy comes out.

7. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Great info jerry! I've got one for my 870. Gonna check out the tape/grease deal. Thanks!

8. jerry

USA
    It's a slick set up guys. In my experience, I can shoot more accurately with the irons. The mount is on the reciever, so there can be some barrel variations shot to shot. I typically experienced 2-4 inches variation at 75-80 yards. My main reason for installing it was hunting in a pretty thick brambly area. I figued I could see openings through the brush better for a possibly clearer shot. It also gives a nice bit of magnification for the max distance shots. I typically don't shoot over 80 yards with this gun. In very good conditions I may try a 100 yard shot, but I'm usually crouched down, cold, hungry & have only the limbs God gave me as a shooting platform.

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I use my 870 as a "camp" gun mostly. It's the only gun allowed to be loaded in camp. I did the scope thing, and have shot it a lot. I feel comfortable enought to take 100yd shots with it. I can usually shoot a 3"-5" 3 round group.

10. silverstreak

silverstreak Guest

I prefer the Remington cantilever barrel for accuracy with a scope, using sabot slugs. That way the scope is attached to the barrel and you don't have to worry about losing the adjustment each time you take off the slug barrel to use a shot barrel. Also, with the cantilever barrel there is no variation due to any slight movement of barrel in the receiver.

Take a look at Remington.com. It takes some real shooting to get the kind of accuracy they show, but the cantilever setup is accurate as most rifles. I'm happy with the setup and don't worry about shots +100 yds. I'll have to say, most of my long range shots are at targets. Most deer are taken within 100 yds. Remington sells a cantilever barrel and shot barrel set with some guns and is available as an extra (or replacement) barrel. It doesn't break the bank if you buy the Express version and Mossberg makes a cantilever barrel and scope set to fit the 870 (for those who already own the gun). Hastings also has an offering.