• If they have recoil issues or other problems with shooting

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Never, never, never

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I didn't get a permit to carry until I retired because I drove a company vehicle, even on personal business, so I was either on customer property or company property almost 24/7. When I was on my property, didn't need no stinkin' permit & not concerned about concealing it. :)

Being retired, I could dress anyway I pleased & opted to dress for concealed carry, so size isn't a big issue & I can carry 2 if I wish.. The closest thing to a mouse gun that I've purchased was a PF9 Keltec, about 12 oz. Decided I didn't care too much for pocket carry, as slow to get to & almost impossible when seated. I also hated the felt recoil & didn't like shooting it. Figured I should carry something that I didn't mind practicing with.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I have two KelTec P-32s, one is the early model and minimalist sights and the second is the latest type with "better" sights than the 1st gen. I am a fan of the .32 because it is thin and in the FMJ it will penetrate..That stated one problem with the KelTec is the magazine, it is designed for FMJ only, anyone who carries it with Silvertips risks developing a fight ending issue called rim-lock. Since the .32ACP is semi-rimmed there is a very distinct possibility that in a "long" magazine that the rims can become locked. This is not possible in some .32ACP pistols that had "short" magazines for the .32Silvertip type ammo only such as the Seecamp. I wish that KelTec would make a magazine that would allow the use of .32ACP hollowpoints without the risk of rimlock; it could be done in a couple of ways. They could alter the front of the magazine so that it could only feed HP, or they could alter the rear of the magazine so that it would not allow rimlock to happen. The latter is the best alternative as I like FMJ, but others want HP..
There is an adapter to fix that. One can be easily made. It slides down inside the back of the magazine, pushing the shorter HP rounds forward in the mag. Another option is HP chambered & HP 1st round, the rest FMJ. I thought that Keltec offered the adapter at one time, maybe not. I'm not familiar with the .32 Silvertip, but most .32 HPs lack penetration.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Years ago, my wife carried a little .25 & it came in handy one night. She left work & was going to her car when some young creeps drove up & were making advances. When one of them got out of their car, as if to come at her, she pulled it & threatened to nueter him. He jumped back in the car & they left rubber, getting out of there.:) That was long before carry was legal in Texas, so it was a big surprise to them!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
The Bersa Thunder was my wife's daily carry until the arthritis in her hand/wrist got worse & it hurt to shoot it, even to rack the slide. She tried the P938 Sig, but recoil was too much & she settled on the P238. The Thunder Plus is one of the 3 that I alternate with my P938 & 1911.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
To me, a mouse gun is something like the P32 Keltec. So small, some wouldn't be able get their finger in the trigger guard to pull the trigger!:) Not recommending it, but something the size of my .25 Raven. Something so small, that if you made the mistake of putting it in your pocket with anything else, you wouldn't be able to find it!:p

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Not sure why you were concerned about the KelTec Pf9. Wiley Clap called it the best Keltec he hard ever seen and in his tests it was 100%. In fact, of the article he wrote about the single stack 9mm, it was the second most accurate. The Walther beat it by about 2/10th inch groups at 25 yards.

When they first came out they had a few problems with the extractor, they never had a recall, but if you called them they send you new one free. I was concerned in 2015, so I called them and they explained the issue. So, they sent one, in 2015, mine has never jammed, failed to feed, nothing. I have a half dozen single stack guns that will fit in my pocket including the Glock 43, it stays in the safe and I carry the Pf9.

The PF9 is the most likely 9mm to limp wrist, because it weighs the least, 12.7 ounces, just simply math, a high velocity bullet needs a stable platform to hold the gun still while it escapes the barrel and the platform need to be held still so the slide can start forward. Any limp wrist and it is likely to jam. Anyway, many people simply cannot handle the recoil so the let them roll in the hand and the gun flops around and the next round up jams the gun because the empty did not get out of the gun.

Anyway, surprised you were worried about it. Mine has not had a failure in the nearly 8 years I have owned it. It is not a range gun, it is a combat gun. If I could buy them cheap I would probably buy a second one. I am not a Keltec fan, I have 2 the Pf9 and the Sub2000, the fold up 9mm carbine, they are both great.

I think there were rumors about the PF9 durability. I heard such as max 500 rounds, etc, etc. 'Course, I guess mine had better than 1000 when I got rid of it. As you say, it was easy to limp wrist. I didn't actually limp wrist, but my wrists lost their strength & couldn't handle the felt recoil. It would short cycle with anything other than standard 115 gr. FMJ, so I decided not suitable for carry & certainly wasn't fun at the range!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Being "blow back" or "locked breech" can make a difference in the felt recoil. The P238 Sig (locked breech) is lighter than the Bersa Thunder (blow back), but felt recoil, per my wife, is less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts