Gun and Game Forum banner

MP5 in Hand

10K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Dutch 
#1 ·
Visited a LGS yesterday that recently took advantage of their license upgrade.

The owner waited until the other customers had left and asked if I wanted to see something cool.

He brought out this MP5 with fun switch. This was the first one I’d ever seen in person. Very cool.

The gun already has a buyer at $4,500.

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Airsoft

See less See more
#12 ·
wow thats cool!

honestly $4500 seems like a lot, but, they only keep getting more and more valuable.
$4500 for an MP5 is dirt cheap. Someone got a whole lot of a great deal there.

#4 ·
Visited a LGS yesterday that recently took advantage of their license upgrade.

The owner waited until the other customers had left and asked if I wanted to see something cool.

He brought out this MP5 with fun switch. This was the first one I’d ever seen in person. Very cool.

The gun already has a buyer at $4,500.

View attachment 149914
wow thats cool!

honestly $4500 seems like a lot, but, they only keep getting more and more valuable.
$4500 for a full auto MP5?!?!?!

lol I think you meant $45,000.

That's the going rate for a pre-86 transferable MP5 machine gun for private ownership.

which is ridiculous considering a brand new full auto MP5 costs about $ $2,200-$2,500 in real world pricing for gov/LE/Mil. but thats what bans do...drive up the costs.

#6 ·
I was going to say, 4500 is nothing. Likely the person that bought it is counting their lucky stars.

Many years ago when I learned of the G series Fn Fal's that were imported I wanted to get one. Even in the early 90's they were in the 2500.00 to 3000.00 range and more than I could afford at the time. Essentially the G series got by the government built on regular military receivers but without the cut in the block for the sear. The oops was allowed and no recall would be attempted so long as it did not become a problem of them having the fun parts installed. Up until the Bush ban on any more conversions for the public it was basically a non machining swap of parts to make your G series a select fire .308 fun gun.
IIRC the block just behind the magazine was a separate part on the military receiver making it fairly easy to swap out for one that accepted the fun parts. The commercial FAL's do not have a removable block so any mods are permanent.
Last time I saw a G series at a gun show it had a price of 8500.00 on it and was in very rough condition and was not a class III at only 8500.00.

#10 ·
The MP5 is a lot of fun to shoot, I enjoyed shooting a friends MP5SD...they are top of the line SMG. My registered STEN today is worth about 8K not too bad considering I bought it back in 1988 for $350 plus $200/excise tax.... here is a link to some current pricing on H&K MP5 selective fire guns.
https://dealernfa.com/product-category/machine-guns/hk/

#13 · (Edited)
The SD is nice! Our team has a couple of them too. On top of the integral suppressor the barrel itself is actually ported to help slow down the round even more. When you combine that with subsonic 147 grain ammo its super quiet... only downside is you are getting like .380 ACP ballistics with it. The round is traveling so slow you can actually see the rounds going down range glint in the sunlight if the light is right.

Crappy ballistics but super quiet. The SD though is a bit dated, you can pretty much get about the same sound reduction with current 9mm cans added onto the barrel of a standard MP5 for all practical purposes.

When I went through the police academy in Marion, Oh they let each of us in the class run 1 magazine through one. It was fun to shoot. Wish I could afford the ammo to play with one on a regular basis.

its a great gun, its reliable and the roller delayed blowback operating system is one of the smoothest/softest shooting systems out there.

And before anyone says "Pffffff yea but 9mm doesnt recoil anything anyways"... it makes difference in full auto fire and for that matter in quick semi auto fire.

If you ever shoot a roller delayed blowback gun and then go shoot a direct blowback gun like a CZ Scorpion or something you will definitely feel the difference.

but all that being said and at the risk of sounding like an SMG snob :p its an old design and the MP5 itself is simply outclassed by many of the newer designs out there.

This is coming from someone who has carried one for years now and still uses/carries/shoots one regularly.

fixed stock ones are one size fits some with no adjustment options and the adjustable MP5 stocks are basically all the way closed or all the way open.

Apparently HK finally came out with a 4 position stock but they are really expensive (like everything else HK puts out) and none of our agency MP5s has them. All of ours are with the 2 position or the fixed.

The MP5 has no optics mount and u have to get any number of aftermarket claw/bolt on mounts which then give you cheek weld issues and/or make using the iron sights as a back up impossible.

The PTR clones are actually very nice and come with an optics rail on the gun... why HK cant do this is beyond me. PTR puts out very nice MP5 clones built on their tooling and at a grand cheaper too. (if anyone wants to buy a semi auto one or make it a sear host).

The MP5 has no bolt hold open on an empty chamber and the fire controls were desgined for someone with Chewbacca sized fingers.

The magazine can be released two ways, either with the paddle at the rear of the mag (grip the paddle and pull mag out) or with the right side botton... but the button is in an impossible location where you cant hit it with your finger like on an AR15.

The biggest gripe I have with it other than that and the stock is the safety/selector. Again, unless you have wookie sized hands/fingers its about impossible to actuate it with most people's thumb (on the left side) or their trigger finger (on the right side). most people cant reach it.

And so you have to adjust your shooting hands grip. I'm not sure if back in the 60's, 70's 80's 90's etc if it was common practice for operators to just run around with that weapon off safe or something and it wasnt a big deal but that's not how its done these days... its always weapon on safe until you are up on target and ready to fire and then you sweep the safety/selector to where you want it. And then back on safe when you are done shooting and you come off target.

This is super quick on say... an AR15. But the MP5... its slow and cumbersome. I usually just run the MP5 with my grip hand's thumb on the same side of the receiver as the rest of my fingers and sweep the safety down with it and go from there... but not ideal, especially in full auto.

Also the 3 point MP5 sling is stupid.

So yea... great shooter, also highly accurate and soft shooting and very reliable... but it comes up short in modularity, ergonomics and adaptability offered by default in other PCC/s sub guns that are out now in the 21st century.

Where I work we are are slowly phasing in Sig MPX 9mm sub guns... waaay better ergos, and lets you outfit it how you want it to a degree far more than what the MP5 lets you do. They are also cheaper and you can easily adjust it for different shooter sizes or when wearing plates etc.

(they also shoot faster in full auto :p)

The full auto in an MP5 is very controllable though, its not to hard with a little practice to be able to literally shoot X number of rounds in a burst, like 1,2,3,4,5 etc when its on the full auto setting.

The burst mode on an MP5 also has no "memory" like on an M4 carbine with its 3 shot burst.

#16 ·
I (let me make this very clear) know little to nothing about these guns, the stamps, the values and all that jazz. However, I've always been told that if you don't have your full auto registered, and the deadline was some time ago, that the gun had little value (like 10-20%) compared to the same gun that is registered. Like I said, I'm just going on what I've been told. I have an acquaintance that claims to have a full auto Thompson, and his is apparently not registered. His asking price was in the $6K range, but I had my fingers in my ears humming because I want to know NOTHING about it!

#25 · (Edited)
This is correct. They have almost no monetary value because of the federal charges they carry with them. The feds murdered Randy's wife and son over a completely legal shotgun barrel, what do you think a non-registered full auto will cost the person in possession?

Don't forget, too, that in 1993 they murdered 25 children and 76 adults over the mere suspicion of there being "illegal weapons" on a private residence.

Edit - I forgot to reply to the original post! That's really neat. I've wanted one, but it's hard to justify when they cost the same as a down payment on a house.

#18 ·
That is really cool and it would be fun to squeeze the trigger on just for fun a time or 2. Idk if y'all follow Bloke On The Range on youtube, but it's a really cool channel from Switzerland and they have some really cool firearms in that neck of the woods that we can't touch over here. As a matter of fact Tim from the Military Arms channel did a video not too long ago when he was in Switzerland and he went to a really cool gun shop and he was just walking around in perusing everything they had out on the floor and it'll blow you away at some of the things they have there and how easy it is for them to get them compared to the hell we'd go through trying to do the same thing here.

Reactions: TACAV and Jaison
#21 ·
I (let me make this very clear) know little to nothing about these guns, the stamps, the values and all that jazz. However, I've always been told that if you don't have your full auto registered, and the deadline was some time ago, that the gun had little value (like 10-20%) compared to the same gun that is registered. Like I said, I'm just going on what I've been told. I have an acquaintance that claims to have a full auto Thompson, and his is apparently not registered. His asking price was in the $6K range, but I had my fingers in my ears humming because I want to know NOTHING about it!
The picture in my avatar is of me shooting a F/A Thompson. We were shooting our M4s at a local range and one of the local PDs had a Tommy gun they'd confiscated somewhere and lots of ammo. Asked us if we wanted to shoot it.

Ummmmmmm.......yeah !

Surprisingly controllable but not exactly a precision instrument. A hoot to shoot though.

#22 ·
For this thread .....:D
Sam goes into a gun store, stands in the empty shop a few minutes then passes some gas. He looks around to make sure he is alone. A few minutes goes by and he spots a matched pair of "full auto" HK scoped 416's in the case. He is mesmerized by them. He is still staring at them when a the shop owner comes in from the back. The guy askes him: "What is the price of this set of HK's?" The owner replies: Well, if you farted when you looked at them, you are gonna sh** when I tell you the price!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.