Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Sad how Glocks tend to keep having thsi problem. Think Glocks really are the problem, or do the greater numbers than other polymer framed pistols make a proportionally similar failure rate look worse for Glocks?

I have a Steyr that I tend to think is far better, but it isn't very common either.

·
Tradehawker LLC / www.tradehawker.com / Jn 17:17
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Portland Police Bureau recalls .45 caliber Glock weapons after incidents

The Associated Press - PORTLAND, Ore.

Portland Police Chief Derrick Foxworth has ordered a recall of .45-caliber Glock Model 21 firearms, weapons carried by 230 Portland officers.

His order comes after two of the guns exploded in the hands of two separate officers during training this month. Neither of the officers was seriously injured.

"We don't want a reoccurrence of this happening again," Foxworth said. "It's the prudent thing to do."

The Portland Police Bureau at first thought the problem was caused by an ammunition malfunction. After the second explosion, the bureau's training division did further analysis and determined the explosions may have been caused by a defect in the weapon or a design problem.

Police will switch to 9 mm handguns. They are negotiating with company, whose North American headquarters is in Smyrna, Ga., to replace the .45-caliber weapons with 9 mm handguns at no cost.

Because the .45-caliber Glock is popular among law enforcement, the Portland police training officers sent a teletype to agencies nationwide. They heard back from several, including agencies in Florida and Texas, that had similar problems.

Other agencies, including the Los Angeles Police Department, and Multnomah and Clackamas counties sheriff's departments, reported no problems.

___

Information from: The Oregonian

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
While Glocks aren't my cup of tea at all, I'd only consider them in the original calibers of 9mm and 10mm.

·
Registered
176 Posts
From all I gather as long as you stick to factory ammo or reload your own in a smart manner (no +p charges) you will be fine. I have a 21 and am not scared in the slightest to fire away with it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Question.
Why is the "news" dated 13 Jan 2005, but, the "story" is copyrighted 2004??
News webcast date: February 13 , 2005

Story copyright: Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Sounds like a scam to me!!!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
glocks do seem to have a lot of issues :hmmm: from what Ive heard & read I'm not a glock fan. Plus they cost a ton too...most people like guns that work without requiring babying.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
I shouldn't rat on Glock since my experience with themis nil. But I have a lot of good to say about other guns that serve the same purposes and cost less, such as Steyr's current series. For the exact same features as Glock, the Springfield XD has everything you could ask for and also costs less (and in my opinion looks and feels better.)

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts
:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:
I won't change my G23 for anything else.

I've been shooting this gun for the last 5 yrs almost every week at least 100 rnds/week, some times more rnds, I estimate close to 20K rnds and never had a problem with it, one time I got a couple of missfires and were traced to a worn lasermax battery cap, just put the original recoil spring back in the gun and no more problems.

This is my carry gun and I bet my life with it!

:uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have seen a Glock 21 come apart at our range. The guy was lucky and only needed about 6 stitches in his hand where the slide stop cut him. I have never felt comfortable with ANY Plastic guns. When they do come apart, they really destruct, while steel and stainless steel seem to hold together better when they have a KABOOM!

I know fiber composites seem to have strength advantages over all of the metals, but I still can't be comfortable with them. I have shot most of the plastic guns at one time or another helping people with problems, but I try not to, unless it is impossible to avoid. I DON'T DO PLASTIC GUNS! I have never even had the urge to own one, and I am comfortable with that.

At my retirement company, with our tracked vehicles, we had tried all sorts of Composite structures, and there are parts of the suspension mounting, engine and transmission mounting, turret rings, etc, that always had problems. It never was good at dealing with certain chemicals or vibration, even when insulated from the vibration, mounting bolts would not hold after a short period of time. Composites and composites of composites make wonderful armor that works, but it doesn't take multiple strikes very well without losing most of its armor capabilities.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
There are different levels of strength in polymer framed pistols. Some have the slides sliding against polymer, some have metal rails moulded into the polymer, and some have mini-frames that all metal parts connect to. I prefer the third, as is my Steyr M40. I haven't seen an HK or a Springfield XD stripped, but I think they have the internal frame, as do the Taurus 24-7s and the latest Millennium Pro pistols.

L

·
0 Posts
I've always wanted a Glock 21..if I had one I wouldn't be worried about a KaBoom :hmmm: I'd stick with Winchester whitebox fmj for shooting paper and Federal Hydra Shok 230 grainers for shooting anything else :target:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a 21 and a 30 that have had numerous round put through them. A lot of +p too
and even though my 30 was on the recall list neither has malfed or KB d on me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with Mandy....the only carry gun I use are Glocks. I've only had one problem, I shot someones reloads out of my G22 one day and had a double and blew the magazine out the bottom, nothing else harmed.

Remember, Glocks are made to work in any circumstance...rain, snow, mud, hot, cold....they have wider chambers and do not cover all the way to the web for reliable feeding. When running +p or hot loads, you can blow a case, especially in the 40 and 10.

Other than that, I'll have a Glock on my sides at all time. I plan on going out on the ATV this afternoon, the Glock 20 will be on my side...

dave

L

·
0 Posts
I'd like to have a Glock :target:

matter of fact I'd like to have a model 17 and a 21 :gangster:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
No complaints about my Glock 22. I love that handgun and would buy 10 more just like it. I have never had any problem at all with mine, and I've shot some very hot loads through it.

L

·
0 Posts
I saw a used Glock 21 .45 with nightsights at an extremely tempting price :right: I think it's a Police Dept trade in :cop: think I'll put it on layaway

1 - 20 of 20 Posts