close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mut And Jeff

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DANA, Aug 8, 2002.

1. THE MAUSER IS A ANTI TANK SINGLE SHOT 13MM.
    THE 22BB CAP IS A FLOBERT PARLOR GUN. THE 30/06 IS FOR SIZE COMPARISON.

DANA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Oh my god, now your just rubbing my nose in it, are you TRYING to make me jealous? 'cause its working! Very cool Dana!

3. NRAJOE

Do you collect old phones too?, or are you so important you got all those lines to talk on!? :D :p

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

What's the recoil like on that big Mauser? Is there a source for brass&bullets to reload? Give us some info, now that you got our attention!

5. JEFF

THE MAUSER IS A C&R AND AS A 13MM BASICLY ON THE NO NO LIST TO USE. IT MUST BE ABOUT THE SAME AS 50BMG. AS TO THE TELEPHONES MY WIFE AND I OWN OUR LOCAL INDEPENDENT TELEPHONE COMPANY 22000 CUSTOMERS. THE PHONES WERE PART OF THE COLLECTION WE WERE GOING TO PLACE IN OUR MUSEUM THAT THE TOWN CANCELED OUR BUILDING PERMITS.

DANA

6. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Great pictures you've shown

DANA: Both the 13 MM Mauser and the antique phones would be interesting to learn more about. Why not show us more pictures of both?

Personally, I was not aware that a 13 MM Mauser could penetrate the armour of a tank. Did I understand your statement correct on that information? If so, that's one powerful rifle!

Oxford

7. OXFORD

MAUSER MADE A SINGLE SHOT AND A MAGAZINE RIFLE FOR USE AS ANTI TANK IN WW 1 MAUSERS OF THE WORLD HAS A GOOD SPREAD ON THIS RIFLE. AS TO THE TELEPHONES WE HAVE A NUMBER OF ONE OF A KIND OR A COUPLE OF ONLY TWO KNOWN TOO EXIST. THEY START AS STRING PHONES I.E. ALMOST TIN CANS ON A STRING.

DANA

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Antique Phones Museum

DANA: That's a valuable collection of phones. Can't imagine the town or building owner taking a chance on letting that asset leave. Properly advertised, it should bring in lots of tourists.

One thing is for certain, there's places that do recognize the value of your collection and would love for you to move it where they and their community and visitors could visit.

Re: the Mauser...I'd want to anchor it to something very solid when it's fired. My shoulder would probably blast backwards about a yard and I'd be wondering what happened.

Oxford :nod:

9. CANCELED PERMITS

THE TOWN HAD SECOND THOUGHTS AND CANCELED OUR PERMITS BECAUSE IT WOULD BRING PEOPLE TO TOWN. OUR STATE IS SUFFERING A NO SPRAWL MENTALITY. OUR TOWN HAS GONE TO THE NO GROWTH MODE.

DANA

10. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

That's an interesting attitude about growth.

DANA: If you don't mind, would you tell me more about your town. What size? Is Waitsfield really the correct name or just what you've put on this forum? Why on earth would they want to have a "no growth" attitude? Are they afraid of something? What?

Just ignore my questions if you think I'm too nosey...just trying to understand where they're coming from.

Oxford:nod:

11. NO GROWTH

WE LIVE IN WAITSFIELD VERMONT WHICH IS PART OF 4 TOWNS THAT MAKE UP THE MAD RIVER VALLEY. THERE HAVE BEEN DIVIDED TOWNS ON GROWTH SINCE 1946 WHEN THE FIRST OF OUR THREE SKI AREAS WERE BUILT. THE BASIC TOWN HAS NOT CHANGED TOO MUCH BUT THE LAST FEW YEARS MOST OF THE REMAINING FARMS HAVE BEEN PURCHASED TO BUILD MULTIMILLION DOLLAR HOMES . THE VIEWS ARE BEYOND BELIEF. OUR CAMP OVERLOOKS 33A (WHICH WE OWN) WITH AN ENTIRE MOUNTAIN RANGE ACROSS THE VALLEY. THAT TOWN (WARREN) CHARGES ME BAISED ON MY VIEW ON OVER A 250,000 ASSESMENT. THE NEW COMERS NOW WANT TO KEEP THINGS AS MUCH AS THEY ARE NOW. THIS HAS BECOME A STATE WIDE PROBLEM. OLD TIME VERMONTERS DO NOT GET WORKED UP OVER OUTSIDERS AND BASICLY LIVE AND LET LIVE . I GUESS THAT IS ENOUGH RAMBLING FOR NOW.

DANA

12. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I think I understand what you wrote.

DANA: If my intrepretation of what you wrote is correct...the "no growth" attitude comes from those citizens who don't want to pay taxes based upon current assessed property value, but want the old levies maintained based upon earlier land values before development occured.

And the people in favor of "growth" are those who welcome expensive homes, ski resort developments, etc. and want long time residents to help pay for those developments through increased taxes for everyone.

Is this anywhere close to what you meant?

Thanks,

Oxford

13. TOUNG TIED

IT IS NOT A TAX PROBLEM. ONLY A ADDED PEOPLE PROBLEM. BUT AS FAR AS TAXES VERMONT HAS A STATE WIDE ACT 60 TAX LAW. BASICLY TOWNS THAT HAVE A HIGH GRAND LIST HAVE TO PAY THE STATE ADITIONAL TAXES TO SUPPORT THE POOR TOWNS. WE ARE CALLED GOLD TOWNS. THE GOLD TOWNS PAY ABOUT TWICE THE TAX WE WOULD NORMALY PAY.

DANA

14. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Thanks DANA...I finally got the real picture. I can be thick skulled sometimes.(ha)

Oxford

15. I don't know about you all, but there are too many directional changes to read these posts.

16. NRAJOE

Cool, I'm moving there! Be knocking on your door next week Dana! :D

17. BRING YOUR GUNS

DANA

18. ALAN C.

SORRY I WILL TRY TO KEEP MY REMARKS ON TRACK.

DANA

19. NRAJOE

Okay, but I'm sure you won't want to bother with my puny collection!

20. Dana I will try to keep my comments to my self. I will try. Joe will keep me in line.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2002