Muzzle blast stories

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by ELMOUSMC, Sep 24, 2010.

1. 1 of the old gray beards I shoot with bought a Model 44 and came over to my range to play with it. we have had a lot of rain here lately and the road to the range was mostly mud and he really didn't want to get his new F250HD all slopped up.We drove out in to 1 of the bean fields and set up some targets at 100 yds and started shooting .my model 44 has a flash suppressor on it so no problem shooting over the hood of his truck.Not thinking ahead he grabbed his rifle and again shooting over the hood let rip 3 rounds each round left a 14 inch scorch mark on the hood through the clear coat and the paint right down to the primer,the body shop says $1200 to put it right

2. A-10

A-10 G&G Addict

That sucks... He could just leave the scorch mark and say its a cool decal. I had no idea the muzzle flash from an M44 could do that much damage.

3. Link23

Link23 G&G Newbie

That sucks I have a bigscorch mark on mycar who would have thought all of the thousands of rounds shot over itwould do that?

4. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

Yea that sucks. Be very weary of any attachment to the muzzle of a Mosin, ESPECIALLY ONE ON AN M44!!! The cheapo ones that only use small machine screws to hold them in place are NOT a good idea. Nearly had one blow right off the front of my M44 when I had it. Put maybe 10 rounds through it, and fortunately it was rattling when I was moving the gun. The screws nearly sheared off. It coudl have been very bad. If you want to put on some type of muzzle brake or something like that, thread it and screw it on.

5. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

That sucks about your friends hood! 1200 dollars is an expensive lesson.

6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Mosin Lesson #21...Car and truck Hoods are Not shooting benches where Flamethrowing Mosins are Involved !

7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Am I the only one here who thinks the Bozo deserves it for firing over the hood of his truck?

8. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Yep. Never made a mistake before?

I shoot over my hood all the time, just not Mosins or Mausers.

9. Well at least it wasn't over the gas tank filler.. With the cap missing would have been a much more intense muzzle flash for sure.

Seeya
    Mark

10. Silver star,Bronze star, Distinguished service medal,4 Purple hearts 3 years in the Hanoi hilton, your right he"s a real Bozo

11. did it blister the paint or just discolor it? He might not have to take it into the shop to get it fixed. If the finish is blistered then yeah it's toast.

Tell him to try a claybar on a small spot and see if it pulls any junk out of the paint

Seeya
    Mark

12. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    This is why you will sometimes hear people advising Mosin shooters not to shoot from lower than the kneeling position if it's been a dry summer. There are stories of the M44's muzzle flash igniting grass fires. I suspect they are apocryphal tales, but I've been wrong before.

I can't set up the experiment at my range because everything is concrete out to the end of the firing line. However, the thought does occur to me that the experiment is worth conducting. If any of our members have access to a really dry grass field with a safe backstop downrange, have a buddy stand by with buckets of water and a fire extinguisher, firing first with slow, aimed fire and then with 5 rounds rapid as quickly as the bolt will cycle from the prone position would prove or disprove this rural myth. I can see it happening, especially if you're firing heavy ball from the short barrel of a Mosin carbine.

13. Perhaps one of those hand held temp meters would give you an idea of the temp out of the muzzle. Then you could go from there. Flash duration is most likely the key, how long the flames are on the area your testing. Most muzzle flashes seem really quick less that a .5 of a second I'd bet.

I have a theory about muzzle flash because not ever round fired produces one. Here's what I think. First round fired barrel has enough oxygen to completely burn the gases from the case 2nd round may only have enough oxygen to partially burn the gas so a some what lesser flash by the 3rd and 4 (depending on how quickly you cycle the rifle) there is not enough O2 to burn the gasses and as soon as the exit the barrel they now have the O2 needed to complete the burn process causing that big flash.

This is a theory I have and as soon as I can get a carbine I'll test it. I didn't see any of those those flashes from my long barrel guns at the range the other day, but I was taking a long time between rounds to fire

Seeya
    Mark

14. Mark:We tried a little rubbing compound and with the clear coat gone and the paint not blistered but pebblely I think she is shop bound(the truck is that tan metal flake)
    Cyrano: As soon as it stops raining and things dry out some we'll give your experiment a test and let you know what happens.Every year during Muzzle loader season we have a corn field fire or 2 from a smoldering patch

15. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Plenty, but I will confess to my own stupidity.

16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Who says heroes have to be smart?

17. Bet he wishes he'd have got his truck dirty now.

18. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

I'm sure the gentleman in question has confessed his stupidity and kicked himself on this one several times. I certainly would, especially as I wrote the 1200 dollar check to get the truck fixed.

19. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

Synthmusician you have a good theory there, but how will you test it. You can't see how much oxygen is in the barrel when the round is fired, the round would destroy any kind of meter and plugging the barrel would be unsafe. And wouldn't the barrel refill with oxygen immediately after the round left the barrel. Not trying to say your wrong or anything just wondering. I sure never would have though of anything like that.

20. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

You're wrong.Gunpowder,both smokeless and black have oxidizers or oxidizing agents in them.In other words they develope oxygen.What causes an explosion is certain gasses reverting back to oxygen rapidly.If you read and comprehend this you will know what happens.Gunpowder will burn in outerspace in a complete vacuum where there is absolutely no oxygen because it makes oxygen. ,,,Oxidizing agent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia