Muzzle Loader useful?

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by H&R12G, Oct 16, 2010.

1. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

HOw useful do you think a muzzle loader would be in SHTF? Because I see a lot of talk about semi-auto's (including myself) for SHTF survival. But, why don't we ever include a muzzle loader? Is it because of the inconvenience of reloading after every shot or what? I think one would be nice to have for hunting instead of using your SHTF primary weapon for protection and hunting. What do you guys think? Yay or nay on the Muzzle loader?

2. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

SUPREMELY. You can break down cartridges, cast the lead, and pour the powder.

Just get some hand held .50 cal slug dies and your in business!

I don't have a muzzle loader yet, but one is going in my bug out 'thing' :).

3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Actually,

yes I do feel these guns have a place but should not be the only gun in the gear.

4. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks theyre useful. I just never really saw anyone talk about them for SHTF. I figured they were shunned for being low-tech. Well, my .54 is coming with me then. I need to get a powder horn and pouch for ammo. My stepdad knows how to make a powder horn, says theyre easy just delicate to make. A bow would be nice to for this except they take a lot of space.

5. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

they are a sound idea, but with the readiness of a cartridge vs. powder, bullet and primers as seperate entities, the cartridge wins hands down. in a shtf senerio if we get to the point that brass is gone and there is no one left who knows how to re-load, then i think we as a survival generation will be long gone in the pages of history. The biggest draw back to powder i see is Humidity and keeping it dry enough to use, unless they have developed a wetfire powder, i dont see it being used that much. components would be the next thing, rifle or pistol, primers and primer despenser, powder and powder despenser, bullets, wadding, lubes, bags for holding it all. these all take up more space then cartridges and mags.

6. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

You have to clean the barrel every few shots, depending on your powder. Blackpowder is corrosive. And there is A LOT of smoke after you shoot a muzzleloader. If for whatever reason you didn't want to give off your position, a muzzleloader is not the way to do it.

7. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

Well they did it for hundreds of years....and that's all I've got to say...

8. BarryHalls

Bows, even compound and cross bows, can be made in such a way that the break down into 3-6 pieces and store inside a 3"-4" PVC pipe with room left over for a couple of arrows and some dry tinder.

I've seen it. It's awesome. Couldn't give you a price though.

9. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

That's what I was thinking. They did it, we could do it.

Something tells me they cost quite a bit.

10. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

not too tacticool, but great for hunting and gathering

11. BarryHalls

EXACTLY.

Lets face it they are .50 and bigger bore. MOST practical hunting is under 200 yards. You just need to put that big slug in the rib cage and follow the blood trail.

EXTREMELY viable for post EOTWAWKI or any scrounging for ammo situation.

12. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

A muzzle loader would work well at what it does and if you have one and want to use it sure why not.

I just think that there are a lot better options out there. Yes, they have been around for quite some time and successfully but 1. That's all there was at the time, and 2. There are now better options out there.

Id take a good bolt action rifle or even a breach loading center fire rifle rifle anyday.

Cleaner shooting, longer effective and more accurate maximum effective range, and faster reloads if you suddenly found yourself in a situation where you needed a followup shot.

Not to mention the logistics of only needing cartridges, vs having to have powder, bullet, primers etc.

Again will they work? Yes. Dont get me wrong here. But is it the most efficient way of doing things? No.

Just as the horse was used as a means of transportation for countless generations, doesn't mean there isn't something better out there, or we would all still be riding horses.

13. BarryHalls

Ah, poopie, I was trying to look them up. No luck. A simple recurve bow could EASILY be designed to be broken down into 3 pieces. A store-baught bow MAY be modifiable into such a design.

It seems the only 'collapsible' bows on the market are also 'competition' bows, and therefore costly and not as sturdy as I would like. I'll look at modifying a bow though.

14. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

I hear ya man. I'm gonna make this short, you can make BP.

P.S.
    Alot of SF troops have done well in A stan on horses.

15. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

yes, you can make black powder. but id rather stuff it into .30-30 brass than into a muzzle loader.

16. BarryHalls

Indeed, but reloaders are pretty big and heavy to pack.

17. trigger

trigger G&G Evangelist

Buy you a handloader in the caliber you need. You can make a load as fast as you can load your smoke pole. Did you ever try and re-load a muzzle loader after 4 or 5 rounds? try it. You'll see. no-go. Don't get me wrong. I deer hunt with 1. A lot of fun. Thats all. Very accurate. Their a rifle

18. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

very true, but if you have a good place to hide out at you could make as much as you need, find an old tree stump or something with a hole in it and hide it up in there....next time your getting low on ammo find your way back to the tree stump pull it all out pack it back your little hide away make some more then put it back. That way your not carrying it any where and its less likley to be found. you could make 50-100 rounds and then hide the press and all the other stuff needed and next time you start getting low just come back, pound out some and go from there.

Now if you were having to go long distances, then ya it would not be very easy to carry. And thats just if you have 1 cal your loading, if your loading multiples than thats even MORE you stuff you have to carry.

19. runawaygun762

runawaygun762 G&G Newbie

A muzzleloader is okay if it's all you have, but should definitely not be the first choice for anything you are staking your life on. There is so much ammo out there today that it probably won't all be gone before we are dead.

I shoot close to 10,000 rounds a year of all different sorts of ammo, but if the world comes to an end, ammo will no longer be devoted for practice. Think about how many rounds you fire in actual hunting; maybe one or two per animal, more in rare cases. Now think about how long one of those sealed "battle packs" of ammo will last if you're talking survival. Sure, there's the concern of looters or roving thugs, but if you do have to engage, then a muzzleloader won't help a whole lot anyway and will really just take up space and weight.

I know, people relied on them for a long time, but people relied on spears and slings for a long time too. We're better equipped nowadays

20. BarryHalls

I agree on parts and disagree on others.

A muzzle-loader should NOT be a primary weapon, and sucks in a fire-fight. However, modern muzzle loaders are pretty effective at gathering game, and can be useful when scrounging for ammo. All you need is the little bullet die and you can make your own ammo for hunting from any caliber.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted