Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
my rifles get miles and scratched and dinged and scratched.
I sleep with them, carry them by the scope, stuff them down the side of my pack, drag them through the trees on the 4 wheeler.
they get covered in mud and dust and rain and snow,, sometimes a little blood gets on them if I'm lucky.

dead simple, overly sturdy, water proof, and rugged are what I look for when choosing hunting gear.
my main rifle has green duct tape wrapped around the sling swivels, and the sling itself is a simple nylon web, strap affair.
the tape keeps the swivels from moving back and forth and squeaking.

I'd destroy a leather sling in 2 years, been there done that.
nothing so unpleasant as having 2 halves of what used to be a nice leather strap you get to carry around for 2 more days.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
my rifles get miles and scratched and dinged and scratched.
I sleep with them, carry them by the scope, stuff them down the side of my pack, drag them through the trees on the 4 wheeler.
they get covered in mud and dust and rain and snow,, sometimes a little blood gets on them if I'm lucky.

dead simple, overly sturdy, water proof, and rugged are what I look for when choosing hunting gear.
my main rifle has green duct tape wrapped around the sling swivels, and the sling itself is a simple nylon web, strap affair.
the tape keeps the swivels from moving back and forth and squeaking.

I'd destroy a leather sling in 2 years, been there done that.
nothing so unpleasant as having 2 halves of what used to be a nice leather strap you get to carry around for 2 more days.
yep

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
a deer I shot over 50 years ago with a 03A3 that I made into a carbine(18" barrel) with a 150 gr handloaded Hornady bullet at 2700 fps. I wish I still had it.
my gun isnt sporterized , just the stock ! 1903 A3 springfields and 1942 remingtons are great bolt action rifles ! they like the 180grn bullets better than 150grn! 1 and 10 twist is to fast for the 150 grn

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
my gun isnt sporterized , just the stock ! 1903 A3 springfields and 1942 remingtons are great bolt action rifles ! they like the 180grn bullets better than 150grn! 1 and 10 twist is to fast for the 150 grn
wish that I knew how to reload ! I would slow down the 150 grn to about 2600 fps

41 - 49 of 49 Posts