1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
Geral those actions are nice and nice hunting rifles for big deer sized game. I have one I bought and has been drilled and tapped with Weaver bases. Also has a custom wood stock. I also built a sporter a few years ago on a receiver I had from years ago. I have drilled and tapped so many receivers before but that was the hardest one ever. I had to try twice to use a pinpoint torch to spot anneal the metal to be able to get drill bit to work. I went through several bits in the process. They have a very hard heat treating and many gunsmiths dont like doing them around here. I recently saw a few new old stock barrels yesterday from Sarco. The barrels alone from them are $250. Hard to find barrels. I found mine at a military show and did my build with it. They made the barrels in two groove and four groove. Nice rifles and you should have many years of hunting out of yours.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Geral those actions are nice and nice hunting rifles for big deer sized game. I have one I bought and has been drilled and tapped with Weaver bases. Also has a custom wood stock. I also built a sporter a few years ago on a receiver I had from years ago. I have drilled and tapped so many receivers before but that was the hardest one ever. I had to try twice to use a pinpoint torch to spot anneal the metal to be able to get drill bit to work. I went through several bits in the process. They have a very hard heat treating and many gunsmiths dont like doing them around here. I recently saw a few new old stock barrels yesterday from Sarco. The barrels alone from them are $250. Hard to find barrels. I found mine at a military show and did my build with it. They made the barrels in two groove and four groove. Nice rifles and you should have many years of hunting out of yours.
my barrel is a 4 groove ! my rifle never had the sight on it ! it is a 1903 A4 ! thank you my friend for the reply ! the pic is the exit hole at a 30 yards from a tree stand

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
Nice little buck there Geral! 3006 is a nice deer cartridge. Ok mine both are O3A3. One of mine is original nice parkerised finish. The one I built is like a grey finish that Ii did the whole action myself. I will take a pic of it when I can.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice little buck there Geral! 3006 is a nice deer cartridge. Ok mine both are O3A3. One of mine is original nice parkerised finish. The one I built is like a grey finish that Ii did the whole action myself. I will take a pic of it when I can.
please send a pic ! thanks my friend

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice rifle and good to see your putting it to use. I've got a weird 1903, its a '42 Rem. but, it has a 1903a3 barrel and stock set. Handguard, barrel band, bayonet lug and all. I started to put it back to all 1903 but, a barrel, stock set, sight collar, and sight was gonna be very expensive.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice rifle and good to see your putting it to use. I've got a weird 1903, its a '42 Rem. but, it has a 1903a3 barrel and stock set. Handguard, barrel band, bayonet lug and all. I started to put it back to all 1903 but, a barrel, stock set, sight collar, and sight was gonna be very expensive.
post a pic of your 1903A3

·
Registered
371 Posts
Geral, what loads shoot good in your rifle? I've shot mostly 150 gr. loads. 150 gr. Hornady Spire Points with 57.5 gr. IMR4350 has been really good.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
20191206_081606.jpg
20191205_091617.jpg
Geral, what loads shoot good in your rifle? I've shot mostly 150 gr. loads. 150 gr. Hornady Spire Points with 57.5 gr. IMR4350 has been really good.
I shoot 180grn round nose , at 2710 fps. much more accurate than the 150grain shot at 2910 fps ! my bullet impact hole is at the top of the nickle at 100 yards . this was the final adjustment on my sig sauer scope . exit wound ! I shot this cull buck below his left eye . his horns never grew. I watched him for almost 3 years

·
Registered
371 Posts
I started to try some round nose bullets but, haven't tried them yet. They definately are better as a deer bullet. Especially at woods ranges.

·
Registered
371 Posts
remington did use some left over springfield barrels / so your gun is probably correct
Its a 1903 action because it doesn't have the reciever sight like 1903a3 rifles do. But, the barrel and stock set are indeed a 03a3. I think it was somebody's project that they didn't finish. I got it stinking cheap too.

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
remington did use some left over springfield barrels / so your gun is probably correct
Many Military rifles of the World Wars are "Mix Masters". Parts were traded and later replacement parts did not match. These weapons are never as valuable to collectors as those of all original matching parts .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts