close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My 1st AR, Which to Buy? Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mico, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Planning on my first AR and just started shopping around.

Had a talk with a guy at Bushmaster today and was very impressed with his honesty; that and the many things I've heard about Bushmaster quality gets me leaning in that direction.

Opinions? Differences between the AR's? How do you guys (and gals) feel about Bushmaster vs. Colt vs. Lympic vs. Wilson vs. Les Baer, etc? What are your favorite points vs. your gripes? Your input appreciated!

TIA

2. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    What type of AR are you looking for? What do you all want to do with it. Hunting, plinking, target shooting.....Scope, pre-ban, and so on....A lot of things to think about. I have a Bushmaster and I love it. Also know a guy with one, no complaints from him about it. Also know two other guys who have Colts, and they have never had any problems. No experience with Les Baer, but from my understanding, it you have the cash, they have your super accurate AR. If you are looking for your basic AR, Bushmaster has affordability and quality on it side. You will pay a little more for a Colt(paying for the name), but those are also really nice rifles. It all depends on what you want in a rifle, and what you want to pay for it....

-Tim

3. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Use of the rifle? Good point. Basically, I want to target shoot and maybe a bit of varminting. My goal is to be able to hit a quarter at 100 yards... I have a bunch of nice guns from an AK-47 to a 10/22 to some WW2 rifles, and I love them all, but none can do what I'm hoping to do, which is to shoot with super-accuracy.

Seeing as to how the pre-ban guns generally start at $2,000, I don't think that's an option. I think the highest I can go would be about $1500. Hope that narrows it down....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2002
  4. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

Mico, What you want is a DPMS bull 24 mine will put five rounds in the same hole at 100yards...No problems at all the only complaint I keep running out of ammo...you can go to DPMS on the net and check out the rifle there I payed 1,005.00 for mine out the door. I put a Burris 6.5x20x50 mil dot on it for 429.00 that will leave you some for ammo. You will not be disaponted the varments WILL!

5. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Rock, that sounds right. What's their website? Just tried dpms.com, and that ain't it....

6. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

mico, Sorry I for got to put the inc on that web page oops. anyway I found the scope at www.bearbasin.com lots to choose from and if you need a dealer I can e-mail you the name and adderss of mine it takes about two weeks to get one.

7. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Thanks, guys, your help is much appreciated.