Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a like new Husqvarna 30.06 a while back and am just getting around to putting a scope on it. The serial number dates it to 1956 so I wanted a period correct scope. I had picked up a 60's Cornell scope for it but decided to try and get a really period correct one. I was browsing eBay and came across this Sears/Weaver scope 2.5 - 8 that matches the Weaver V8 specs. It came with a rear adjustable mount as these scopes had no internal adjustments at that time. It has a couple light scratches and a some rub-through on the mounts but the patina with the blue on the mounts turning plum colored is really cool ... $30 delivered to my door which I thought was just a cool deal.

The only issue I have is that it doesn't clear my rear sight even with the elevator removed. I don't think I want to shim the mounts that much for clearance nor do I want to remove the sight leaving a dovetail or install a plug. I'm thinking I may replace the rear sight with a folding Williams sight instead even though it's a more modern piece.

The scope is crystal clear and bright. Overall, it should make a nice vintage rig for occasional shooting. I'm keeping this one like it might have been back in the day.

Air gun Trigger Water bottle Wood Gun barrel

Automotive tire Bicycle part Laser pointer Rim Violet

Musical instrument Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the very same scope on my Mauser,given to me by a good friend for that same reason,it works great .it’s not really period,just the action,it is an action I bought already worked on fo about $150 years ago,it’s pedigree is unknown,but probably 1940-1950 from some military,the only mark is the waffenampt Eagle but that is only on the follower but nicely worked on. I bought a 30,06 Shilen heavy sporter bbl and hadBill Monell in Pine Bush NY mate them up,long ago,then blue it.The stock I retrieved from a scrap walnut bin at Numrich Arms when they were a visitor friendly Company and you could go to the store there,I saw a beat up walnut Mauser stock and got it for $5.it’s a heavy rifle and suitable for sniper work,with that heavy barrel I carry it but it’s at its best as a stand rifle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the very same scope on my Mauser,given to me by a good friend for that same reason,it works great .it’s not really period,just the action,it is an action I bought already worked on fo about $150 years ago,it’s pedigree is unknown,but probably 1940-1950 from some military,the only mark is the waffenampt Eagle but that is only on the follower but nicely worked on. I bought a 30,06 Shilen heavy sporter bbl and hadBill Monell in Pine Bush NY mate them up,long ago,then blue it.The stock I retrieved from a scrap walnut bin at Numrich Arms when they were a visitor friendly Company and you could go to the store there,I saw a beat up walnut Mauser stock and got it for $5.it’s a heavy rifle and suitable for sniper work,with that heavy barrel I carry it but it’s at its best as a stand rifle.
Cool, I figured it would hold up to the 30.06 better than that Cornell scope I had bought. It looks pretty solid. I had just taken the rifle to the 50yd and shot some with open sights to see if the 30.06 kicked as hard as I remembered, It did. Just ordered a dovetail folding leaf rear sight to install in place of the original as a placeholder and I can then mount the scope.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts