Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just at my shooting buddy's house. The kids had just left for a church function, picked up by the bus. We were discussing guns, and looking thru the various vendor flyers, and he says he bought a case of .223 at the gunshow last weekend. I say, "but you don't have a .223 rifle!" He gets a wicked gleam in his eye, and trots to the bedroom. Comes back with two new guns he got at the show.
First is a used but good Ruger Mini-14 Ranch model, with a 3-9X32 scope and several spare mags. By golly, he'd been wanting a .223 rifle.
Second was a real find. A 1939-dated (near as we can determine) Japanese Type 99 Short Rifle, with NO import stamp, has the unground mum and arsenal marks, original folding wire monopod and the flip-up rear sight with the anti-aircraft bars. Nice shiny bore. Stock shows some heavy wear, but over-all condition is pretty good. He has the brass on order for the 7.7 Jap ammo. He could make it from .30-06 too. This gun was a war bringback, according to the old gentleman he bought it from. A very nice collectible indeed! And since it was a legal Private sale, 'off paper'.
Keith had been trying to collect at least one rifle from each major WWII combatant nation. He just lacks one from Italy now.
We're planning a range session weekend after next, once the holidays are behind us. :cool:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Cool! I rebarreled mine to 6.5mm x .284Win. Timney is making a replacement trigger for $55 that will turn it into a real shooter. That Arisaka action is one of the strongest Mauser types ever made.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Big Dog ask your friend if he got the "story" of the rifles capture.
As time goes on and those guns get handed down the story gets lost and that is a tradegy
see if he can learn it if there is one.
Only wartime bringback combat captured weapons have intact Imperial crysanthamums.
Time and time again I have heard people say "I dont know how he got this but he got it in the war.
captured weapons are very important especiallly Arisakas
since All of them turned in at the end of the war had the "mum" defaced.
your friend has a great historic rifle.

·
36,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Dennis. Yep, when he saw this one, he knew it was special! We had seen others in the gunshows, but just weren't impressed enough to buy them. This one "spoke" to him. I'll ask if he got any more of the rifle's story from the old gent. There is a crack in the stock that has been repaired with brass pins to reinforce it. Standard procedure in this type of damage - but everything else is excellent.
He's going to go real easy on his hand-loads, and see if the old warrior will take it. If it turns out to be a wall-hanger, it's still a nice find. :cool:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
hey Large Canine...

maybe yer bud needs to join G&G, that way we can help him out.

·
36,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've prodded him toward the forums several times, but he just isn't the forum type. He is a "computer guy", and does surf the web - buys lots of his stuff online. Maybe one day, I can get him to sign on. :)
He's got his C&R, and I think he's just warped enough to fit in here pretty good . . . :cool:

·
36,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait for it, Joe! I created my album, under the sign-on of "Seawolf1090", as it wouldn't let me join as me. Sorry to sail under another flag, but MSN is flat weird! :rolleyes:
So I'm using my "secret identity", sh . . . don't tell anyone . . . ! :cool:

I'll add some pics once I get home. Don't wanna add that loading program to the office 'puter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If all goes well, my buddy may have his 7.7 brass this weekend, and make up some loads for the Jap rifle. He also got in a case of 7.62X25, so we can have some CZ52 fun! Tomorrow's payday, so I'll order a case myself too - and borrow a couple boxes off him til mine comes in. :)

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,200 Posts
PAPA G said:
why would the man wanta be slumming for??? :)
It kept you and the mouthy Marine out so it can't be all bad Mr.Negative...

Go take a flying f#$k at a cylindical pastry.... :hmmm:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
NRAJOE said:
It kept you and the mouthy Marine out so it can't be all bad Mr.Negative...

Go take a flying f#$k at a cylindical pastry.... :hmmm:
my my aren't we a little testicle :rolleyes: :)

·
36,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mighty good site, Joe! Still having problems trying to download that pesky "Pic Control" program though. Tells me it failed but not why?

Love the AK and SKS sections! :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts