My "C Rations"

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Joshua M. Smith, May 26, 2008.

1. Joshua M. Smith

Joshua M. Smith G&G Enthusiast

Hello,

I put together some food for camping, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, whatever.

I copied as closely as I could off of descriptions I've heard of C rations, due to the fact that I really do not like MREs and really, really despise K rations (though to be fair, the K I had was fairly old and may have been a bit tainted).

[​IMG]
    This is the smaller size. Everything together has 800 calories, give or take.

I'm still working on selection. I believe there are two "entrees" right now. I'd like to add sausage and sauerkraut.

[​IMG]
    The contents of the small size...

The small size contains a main course, fruit or vegetable, a package of two hard granola bars that should keep for about forever, a pack of lemonade mix, a spoon, napkin, gum or candy, and matches.

[​IMG]
    First large one...

[​IMG]
    And the second.

In the large ones I have either chili or ravioli in large cans, a pound cake or two muffins and peanut butter, lemonade mix, coffee bags (no instant crap), a spoon and napkin, and toilet paper. Also included are matches and candles for light, cooking (poorly), and starting campfires. I still need to get fruits and veggies, and maybe some wet wipes. Nothing in there needs seasoned.

What do you think? Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Josh <><

2. Good looking rations. By the way, coffee bags are instant coffee. The real coffee in them is just for looks.

3. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

You're dining in style now...looks kinda like some of the rations my wife set up for our 72 hour kits, with a couple of extras thrown in for good measure.

4. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

how long do you plan on storing them muffins?? i would get some melba toast or something. and the coffe looks to be caffen free you might wanna throw in some cafene coffe you neve know when your gonna need some pep in the mornin.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  5. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Or, even some Norwegian flat bread will last a bit longer...

6. Joshua M. Smith

Thanks folks.

I still need to throw together some snack packs, and likely some hard bread will go in there. I usually make my own hardtack.

Both the muffins and the pound cake are individually wrapped, and I believe neither expire until sometime until 2010, and even then it's a "best until" date.

Josh <><

P.S. Anyone know where to look for powdered eggs? I've got some breakfast ideas. J.S.

7. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

As a reminder...packaging your snack items (nuts, crackers, jerky, dried fruit, etc.) in a "Seal A Meal" will help extend their shelf life.

Yes, powdered eggs work very well...having eaten a lot of them during field ops in the military. My wife and I found a grocery store in our area that sells them, in a #10 can for about $20.

http://waltonfeed.com/self/eggs.html
    http://beprepared.com/search.asp?t=...LFS200703175&gclid=CNHYle6vxJMCFQougwodNjmqCA

JMS,

Today, while doing some grocery shopping, we bought a #10 can of powdered whole eggs for $12.39 plus tax. We also purchased a #10 can of morning moo drink for $12.39 plus tax. The eggs and milk are packaged by Walton Feed and labeled as Rainy Day Foods.

The food storage items that our local grocer carries can be purchased cheaper than they can be ordered from Walton Feed...our grocer must get a bulk discount and pass it on to customers.

Walton Feed's Full Catalog

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  8. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

I did not see any bennie winnies?!? You got to have bennie winnies!!!!! LOL

9. Joshua M. Smith

They're an alternate course. Rest assured, I have them. ;)

I think I'll throw together 10 more smaller ones with canned sausage, canned sauerkraut, and canned potatoes. Yum!

Josh <><

10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Dried fruit is another good item. I like dried pineapple, and dried apple.

11. Dang , now ya went and got me al hungry.

12. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

oh wow that looks really nice. and a nice alternative to those expensive MRE copies.
    Sir, I will be making some of my own next grocery store visit.:werd:

13. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Privateer- I'm ALWAYS hungry, LOL !!

14. Josh you must of got hungry because I see 2 of those cans have been opened LOL.

Looks good feller to me !...A.H

15. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

Tubes of dried beans, tubes of rice, sausages, cheese, tabasco and peanut butter... And de-constipators for when it's really necessary...

If you can't make it for weeks on just those basics, well...

16. Joshua M. Smith

I've found that I need to put a small tub of peanut butter in each of the smaller ration packs. They'll just fit, and go well with the granola.

Josh <><

17. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Geez, MRE's these days are LIGHTYEARS ahead of what we had in the late 80's early 90's...I LUV the new ones!!

There were a few of the oldies you NEVER wanted to eat...Chicken Ala King...I used to trade that for cheeze & crackers...or just about ANYTHING. Everything else was edible if you heated it & added the Tabasco sauce ;)

18. mos19k

mos19k G&G Newbie

When we go hiking or camping I make our own trail mix consisting of: Dried Pineapple, Brazilian Raisins, Dried mango, M&M's (plain), Peanuts, Cashews, Pretzel Sticks and Yogurt Pieces. This mix and variations of it cover most of the food groups and is very filling. Also works great for baiting snares or using to catch fish. There are so many choices of canned and foil sealed products out there that you can assemble just about any meal you'd like. One product that I like and find tasty are the Heater Meals, they come in a variety of entrées and are complete meals. They last from one to three years, I mostly use them as hurricane supplies.

Home of HeaterMeals Self-Heating Meals & the TrueTech MRE heater for A Hot Meal Anytime Anyplace

19. WWII K rations (had a full tootie roll about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch in Dia). in 1961, Korea "C" in 1962-1964, later manufactured "C" in 1965-1966
    Lurps (I liked these0 in 1968-69 all above were USMC issued

Beenies weenie, Meatball & beans, sliced ham, chopped ham & eggs, beef slices/w potatoes, Limas and MF's, boned chicken john wayne crackers, peanut butter, pound cake, fruit cake fruit cocktail, peaches chicklets gum, ETC ooh-rah