close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My computer crapped the bed

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by Coach, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    So here I am having a big problem trying to navigate the site on my cell phone since I never did so before. So, I'll be laying low until either I repair my computer or get another one. This little screen and reading glasses gives me massive headaches. To quote Arnold, "I'll be back".

2. my1871colt45

my1871colt45 G&G Evangelist

Oklahoma
    Rub its nose in it and throw it outside. That ought to teach it!! :-\

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Sorry for your loss! How ever thanks for letting us know, so we don't get worried about you as we do when folks drop out with no alerts!!

jerry and neophyte like this.
  4. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

If your not well versed at building / fixing pc's, get it to a reputable computer shop pdq. Depending on how old it is it might be easier to cut your losses & upgrade to a newer better system. If you do, keep your old hard drive & get it backed up on the new system.

5. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Go to the local pawn shop, get a decent one cheap ;)

jwrauch, neophyte and Ten Man like this.
  6. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    Prolly gonna get a new unit, problem with this one is it won't boot up. How does one transfer all the crap from old to new in that case?

neophyte likes this.
  7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Your local 5th grader can show you how.

Rocky7, timv, Huey Rider and 3 others like this.
  8. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 G&G Evangelist

I used my flashdrives and selected the stuff I wanted and then plugged into my new computer.

Rocky7 and PAPA G like this.
  9. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

If it won't boot up you need to determine if its a software issue or a hardware issue. If its a hard drive failure its been my experience that almost 100% of the time you are s.o.l.

Rocky7 and PAPA G like this.
  10. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    Wise azz..... my two college students couldn't help!
    expensive

Ten Man and neophyte like this.
  11. My latest computer mod was digging around under my tool cabinets for 4 beer bottle tops of the same lineage. I then set one under each corner of my lap top and its running a lot cooler ;)

Rocky7, PAPA G, jwrauch and 1 other person like this.
  12. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That's the problem with older computers. They get outdated so fast with new technologies that it is almost better to just get a new one. And sometimes older computer parts can be hard to find. Like older form CPU's. I used to build them, but it is almost as cheap to just buy a new one now with all the bells and whistles already built in.

13. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

...and all the "spy on you" technology, too.

14. Wow, this thing is running a lot cooler, I need to go find my laser thermometer and get some data.

Edit: It gets hot in my shed. Probably borderline too hot to really be operating confusers and the like. The area immediately beside curser pad thing used to get extremely hot. I've measured it to the mid to high 50 Celcius range. It seems a no brainer to elevate the machine off the desk to get some air flow but I'd never done it.

It's the legacy of using a laptop as a desktop I guess. Well, that panel is now high 30C range. Just resting my claw on it it's very noticeably cooler. Yesterday this old burner was starting to struggle, I guess from the heat.

The bottle top trick certainly works! I need to find something or make it, that fits over the riser pads on the corners of this laptop to make it a bit less carny engineered.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Rocky7 likes this.
  15. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

What about those stick on pads they make for chair legs?

16. Four rolls of insulation tape, one at each corner, is working so far, it's stable and gives me about an inch of elevation :D

Rocky7 likes this.
  17. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    When my wife got done with school, I got done with PC’s/laptops. Have a pile of em in the basement.

She is fine with a decent tablet to surf, pay bills, play her games, etc.

I have a lap top for work but mostly just use the i phony.

18. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

I picked up a dual fan "pad" that my laptop (also used as a desktop) sits on, it runs off a USB port and helps immensely, think I got it at Dollar General.

Ten Man likes this.
  19. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

To get any documents or photos that you are after, you'll have to either take it in to a computer shop or do what I did and buy an enclosure that you install the hard drive in, then plug that into a USB port on your new (or any other computer, actually) computer, then open files until you find what you're after, then just drag the files over onto the new computer or flash drive.

gsbuickman and Ten Man like this.
  20. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    Back up and running, but man does my azz hurt!!

austinjoe13 likes this.