My Custom Mosin Idea

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by A7XFREAK, Sep 15, 2010.

1. A7XFREAK

A7XFREAK G&G Newbie

Alright, Purists, may or may not want to veer away, it's not a huge mod, but something that I think would be aesthetically pleasing. I currently own a 1936 91/30 Mosin Nagant, nothing super special in the Mosin World. After I got mine, my dad got Mosinitis before I did and bought three of them.

Well, one he put in an ATI stock and he gave me the stock that he had already refinished in what I believe is a Mahogany color. Well, what I am thinking of doing, is stripping that stock down and painting it a Desert Sand color, with the flecks in the paint, buying(when he can get them done) one of those beautiful looking 10 Round Mags, and putting either a Red Dot or an ACOG style scope on it.

Any CNC on what you think this may turn out like?

2. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

Its your gun, do as you please. Its like you said nothing special in the mosin world. I haven't changed my 91/30, but I use it for deer hunting so it does the job the way it is. You shouldn't have to have any thing machined. There is a dovetail under the rear sight. If it were my rifle and I was gonna put that much stuff on it I would probably put a bipod of some sort on it. Remember pics are required.

3. A7XFREAK

A7XFREAK G&G Newbie

Yeah, currently, I don't have the money or time to do anything, I was just wondering what else I might be able to do that would require little work that could make it just that much better. And honestly, this wouldn't hurt the purists at all either considering I'm not changing the original pieces at all. Go Matching Numbers.

4. if that's what floats your boat, go for it! painting a nice wood stock isn't an improvement in my opinion though. i like'em just they way they are with a nice ler scope for my bad eyes.
    but hey, if you want a painted stock and red dot, have fun with it!

5. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

I think it would look pretty cool like that, along with a bipod on the front end. However, I wouldn't paint the wood stock, rather get an ATI or something along those lines. Wood in my opinion doesn't look very good painted. Plus the first time it gets dinged up you start getting chips in blemishes in the paint... Go with the more durable stock as I am assuming this wouldn't just be a safe queen where the wooden stock would be completely safe from dents, dings, and scratches. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

6. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

BTW, if funding allows the choice I would go for the ACOG to take advantage of the magnification. I just never saw a point of red dots on bolt actions. Just my $0.02

7. A7XFREAK

A7XFREAK G&G Newbie

8. argon99

argon99 Suspended

I have done may MNs. The first this I do is pillar bed the action and install a steel recoil block. You have to do this i steps. The pillars first then the recoil block. You need to make sure the block is pressing on the correct place on the stock. The front screw base. I use high density foam strips on both sides, after the block is made. These strips push the block into the receiver. I then use steel impregnated glass bedding to secure the pillars first and then the block. After it settles up dig out the foam and fill with steel glass and allow to harden. This setup holds the receiver firmly in the stock. After that then you look at scout scopes, timney triggers. Muzzle brakes and anything else that floats your boat.

Good luck it's a lot of fun and don't let the nay sayers get you down. There seems to be a culture in the MN community that thinks it's sacrilegious to do anything to an MN. There are usually old guys that identify with the MN and don't want to see the object of their fantasy improved beyond what they them selves could be improved. Maybe I have gotten a little hard from dealing with their narrow mindedness but so be it.

9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Every Mosin that gets "Sporterized" increases the Value of My Original Military models...These Are Battle rifles , and the same thing was done to 1903 Springfields in the 40's -60's when they were cheap...Now The sporterized ones are worth 50% of an original to a Collector...just My 2 cents
    Mosins Used to be 24-30 bucks, now they run from 89.00 to 450.00 depending on the model.

10. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

^ + 1 ^^^
    frenchy:35:

11. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    argon99, would you mind doing a thread with pictures showing how you do this? I got lost about halfway through, not being a machinist.

12. Rex_Lee

Rex_Lee G&G Regular

yea but they are so cheap now, you can buy a dozen, and customize a few, leaving all the rest original and have the best of both worlds and still spend less than a decked out AR.

13. A7XFREAK

A7XFREAK G&G Newbie

Well, like I said, MY original one will still be original, it will just be put into a different stock. So I will still have my current stock and everything, so I can just pop it back in when I want.

14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

As long as you keep the old stock so it can be turned back to original, I have no problems with it.

15. H&R12G

H&R12G G&G Newbie

I think a Mosin is pretty just the way they are. Sure, they're old and a little rough and on the heavy side, but that's what makes it IT. And the personality. Everything now has some kind of polymer stock or something like that and some kind of scope or scope option that would make that Rifle worth Way more with those options. Really, IMO, I'd leave that Mosin as close to original as possible and buy something like a Remington 700. Those are good good-looking rifles, the options are easier to attach and find, and they look better with those options. But, it's your MN, do whatever youu'd like! I hope it comes out the way you want it to.

16. A7XFREAK

A7XFREAK G&G Newbie

With your display pic....you made me have to say something else I'm planning on having done eventually. Maybe if I can find a stock only with a bad butt on it. You know the End's Mosin from Metal Gear Solid 3? With the pistol grip and folding metal stock, I'm hoping to be able to do that eventually.

17. WOW. :35:
    BTW, what are orginal 03's selling for now and their "personilized" counterparts?

18. +1.

19. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Original 03 Springfields run 800-1200 dollars UP...while sporterized ones run 250-400 bucks.

20. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

I don't know if you'd want to go with an ATI stock. I have had nothing but bad luck with my own ATI stock. Lots of dremel work to get it to fit in it to start with. The interrupter spring was being blocked, so it was only a single shot for a while until I got it fixed. I hear the wood Boyds stocks are nice that are made for them.