close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Dream Pistol

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Aug 26, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Ok, save your laughs for the end...

I'm thinking long and hard about what my first pistol should be, and I'm pretty sure about the 1911. After browsing around, identifying everything I like, and trying to put it all together, I've concluded that this is what I want:
    A custom assembled (perhaps by me) 45 caliber 1911 variant with the following features:
    -Double stack mag well (even if I only get 10 rounders for it, I prefer the feel, and the mag doesn't protrude)
    -6" barrel with long slide (yes, I plan to use it for CCW)
    -Underbarrel accessory rail (for a lasersite that I have; when my ship comes in, I'll get one of those laser-flashlight combo things, or when I've concluded that it won't, I'll build one)

It would be a little bit like what the Terminator used.

So anyone know how this could be done? I saw a lot of the parts I wanted at Caspian Arms. Anyone know what would be included in these assemblies?

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

only suggestion i can make is try to find a double stack 1911 and see how it fits and feels, unless you are blessed with gorilla hands. my .02

3. BattleRifleG3

I've used my friend's Para Ordnance P14, I like it better than single stack 1911. And I do have big hands. If only women knew...

4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

5. BattleRifleG3

The question still remains as to how I would do it. I've seen long slides advertised at Caspian Arms, but it looks a little pricey if it doesn't include the barrel, and if it indeed doesn't, where would I get the barrel? Next, I thougt I saw hi cap frames at Caspian Arms but apparently I was mistaken. Only hi-cap frames I've seen are at Enterprise Arms and cost a heck of a lot, at least if I'm looking at the right prices. You could get an entire Para Ordnance for less than that. So the next question is whether Para Ordnance is interchangeable with other 1911s, specifically could I install a 6" barrel and long slide on a Para Ordnance and be done with it? Or would I have to look around to find a frame and slide that matched?
    As for the underbarrel rail, it mounts to the frame, right? I wasn't able to find one at Caspian Arms.

Oh yeah, and money is an issue, so I need to find the lowest prices on all of these.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2002
  6. BattleRifleG3

Ok, let's make it a little more simple... Can I take a long slide and barrel and stick them on a Para Ordnance P14 without any additional fitting or parts?
    And can I stick a wide frame from say Enterprise onto a longslide 1911?
    I guess I'll have to take apart my friend's 1911 and see what all is in there. Maybe practice carrying it to see if I really want to carry something that big.

7. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    yes you should be able to take a long slide and barrel from another manufacturer and put it on a para frame, but-you are probably going to need to do some fitting-especially the barrel hood, locking lugs, and feet. oh and if moneys an issue building a custom 1911 aint cheap. you'd be better off buying a complete para and adding what you want over time.

8. BattleRifleG3

That was one of my ideas, buying a Para and adding over time. I'll keep my eyes open and my spending down. Now as far as fitting goes... How much would be necessary? I'd hate to screw it up.

9. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Well, BRG3,
    6" barrel and 11 rounds? Oky Doky, but you'd better have a good belt. I can tell you, that will get real old, real quick. I think you have made an excellent choice. for CCW, unless you're built like Herman Munster, that's not going to last. Good Shooting!

10. BattleRifleG3

I'll keep considering. I have several months before I turn 21.

11. BattleRifleG3

Well, I found my dream pistol, double stack with 6" barrel. It's the STI Eagle 6.0, and MSRP is $1900 Even though realistic retail would be lower from my favorite dealer, I don't think it would go as low as I can afford. So I'll keep looking for more affordable ways to accomplish what I want, which won't require the same extreme quality that STI has (or claims to have).

12. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Let the idea of a long slide go and get a Springfield Armory Loaded Tactical model Gov't size. It comes with the tac rail for the "red dot" or flashlight. If you want both, Streamlight makes the combo laser and light for about $179. The gun will run around a grand instead of two grand.

If not, drop about $750-$800 on a Kimber. I own one. It won't let you down. Several gunsmiths can mount a tac rail on the under side of the frame for you. You can also pic up any copy of "Guns and Weapons for LE." You'll find an add in them for a trigger guard mount that accomodates the toys you want, instead of a rail......

Or better yet, go with the long slide Glock if you're stuck on the six inch barrel. You'll have to settle for .40sw or 9mm though.

Just food for thought....

13. BattleRifleG3

I've considered the longslide Glocks in 40 S&W, particularly the Model 24. I turn 21 in May, and presently have zero available money, so I'll have time to think.

14. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I got my dream pistol,series '70 Colt with a .460 Rowland kit. The thing's reliable,accurate,and powerful.

15. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

The Glock would be an excellent choice, and they are still concealable if you're a decent size guy. They can be worn in an IWB holster.