My First Enfield..with pics and a refinishing question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by roadie, May 3, 2008.

1. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

So this is my first C&R purchase..an Enfield SMLE converted to .410 shotgun. So what I'd like to do it refinish it, or at least the wood to start. The top for guard is a different color, and the rest of the wood is this really dark thick finish...not sure what it'll look like when I sand it. But what could I use to seal it once I re stain it? Preferably something I can get at home depot or lowes...thanks.
    I'm going out in a little while to shoot it for the first time, I'll post a report when I get back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. It's your rifle and your entitled to what you would like to it...
    However..I gotta say ..Please don't use sandpaper.
    Try giving it a varsol bath first and see what will clean off with very fine steelwool or a scotchbrite pad.
    All those dings and bruises are part of that rifles history and there may also be small stamps that sandaper will remove forever. It's value will at least hold or climb higher without a sanding.
    Having different colored wood isn't uncommon and quite frankly , I like your rifle's contrast.
    Is it a Austrailian Lithgow ?

3. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

What's " Varsol" and no, it's a Brit Ishapor. I will take some close up pics of the markings tomorrow when it's light out, I tried just now but the flash makes too much glare. I just got back from testing it out in the desert...shoots great, never fired a .410..it's like a really loud .22, fun as heck...bummer only single shot though. As for refinishing, i'd really like to get the metal back to a shiny grey, no blue and the wood a few shades lighter than it is now. I live in the desert so moisture is not an issue.

4. Roadie read how to refinish a mosin on the Mosin thread. It tells you all ya need to know. Any ?'s just ask any one of us. It will let you know what to do and NOT sand it.
    read red mahogany = brown

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  5. Varsol is basically paint thinner.
    The stocks look like mahogany and coachwood and the rearsight protector looks Aussie.
    Is there any stamps on the butt socket ?
    These rifles are converted in India but can be from any manufacturer - Britian , India or Austrailia.
    It's a bit of a collector/trivia thing ( for me anyhoo )to find out the original manufacture...
    ..and ya... these rifles are a blast !

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

7. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

"Timberlord" here are some decent pics of all the markings i could find on the rifle... So if you can translate any of them that'd be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is under the rear sight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, I have tried some mineral spirits to try and remove the dark finish, it's kinda working, but it's taking a lot of scrubbing. There's got to be an easier way to do this.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  8. I'm assuming that it has been modified "twice" in order to fire modern .410 ammo? The original shells were "blown out" .303 brass. I saw one of these rare conversions at a local gun show for $200, but it hadn't been bored to commercial .410, so I passed it by. The stock was about as dark as yours (all matching), so I don't think I'd try to hard to alter it much. Maybe just look around for a better matching front handguard.
    However, if you want to remove all of the finish, Acetone and superfine steel wool works the best; I used it to clean up the mismatched stock pieces for my #4 MK1* Long Branch, before refinishing with Bolied Linseed Oil...

9. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

That's pretty much what I did, still took a lot of scrubbing, but all that dark crap is finally gone. I then put a few coats of tung oil on it and it looks great, I just have to stain the front guard to match the rest of the stock. That's the only part that is not matching, everything else matches..number wise that is. Now my plan is to buff and polish as best I can the rest of the metal, get some of that graininess out of it and give her a nice shine. It jsut takes a lot of time, and work is busy right now. but when I finish it I will post pics for sure.

Oh, and it fires 2 1/2" shells. I'm getting a reloader for is soon, and after doing the math, I'll be able to load boxes of 20 for about $3. I have been going back and forth on getting anther enfield in .303 or .308, but the ammo is getting so expensive, and for me it's no fun having it if I can't shoot it without breaking the bank....but we'll see, maybe I'll get another .410

10. Your .410 Enfield with shoot 2 3/4 shells as well. I have recently found these made by Silver Bear. These are all scatter shells. My Rifles like yours will also chamber a 3" round but I have been told not to shoot them through it. The 2 1/2 shell is all slugs I have found. There is some info in the thread I have on this forum called Enfield Shotgun.

11. You mean that the Ishy .410 will shoot modern 2 3/4 inch buckshot rounds without being rebored, Capt'n?
    I was under the impression it will only chamber and fire "British .410" rounds safely....

12. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

I didn't know aboutt the 2 3/4 shells, but I'll stick with the 2 1/2, that's what I'll be reloading for it. As for the refinish...I am shining up the metal today, and should finish by tomorrow. I will post a few pics when all done. It's coming along really nicely tough I must say.

13. Ya Im kinda not too keen on shooting the 2 1/2 cus of all the extra room with in the chamber with a slug. But shoot 2 3/4 shot about 500 rounds. I have honestly never shot the 2 1/2 in mine. Mine was rebored.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  14. So the 2 1/2" shells are original (British) load? Are they made out of brass? (they were originally a .303 casing with the neck expanded to fit either shot or a ball slug. )
    I do my own reloading for my '43 #4 Mk1*, it is definately a lot cheaper than buying store bought.....
    I'd really like to see the "refinished" pics roadie...can't wait:)

15. ggordon

ggordon G&G Newbie

The marking on the butt socket means:

GRI- George Rex Imperatum (the gun was made when King George was the British King, during Britain's imperial rule of India

SHTLE- Short Lee Enfield (of course)

III- no. 1, mark III