Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent the certified check out yesterday for my first Garand. It has a CAI reciever, with SA bolt, barrel and trigger group. Stock has a few nicks but no cracks, bore has good rifeling from end to end. I would appreciate any comments, feedback, tips, issues, info and thought's.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
CAI guns are not worth much, for the most part quality was very low. hope you got one of the better ones.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no pics yet but I think you can follow this link to the auction listing.

www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=74711126

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Very nice piece! Congrats on getting it! You got an exceptional price on the firearm. Congrats on getting your very first M1

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Chris. I was getting a little worried since there was some negetive feed back. But I guess only time will tell. Once it arrives I will have the local gunsmith check her over and keep ya'll posted.

p.s. any suggestions on ammo? I saw some on gun broker that was Korean/PMC manufactured in the 1970's.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's a nice looking rifle!
Up-date us when you shot it and what the gunsmith told you.

Rob

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up my M1 today, well actually yesterday now, looks great and seems to function fine, still I am going to have a gunsmith check it befor I do. The owner said he fired a box of Federal through it without any problems and he is a dealer. what would you do? trust him and just shoot it, which I really, really, want to do, or wait till gunsmith checks it out? Also onr thing I noticed that I am unable to find any info on, is that on the spring cover of the rear sight there is an anchor with number 1084 under it. any ideas what this might mean?? I'll post some pics as soon as I can..

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Danish Navy sight cover. If you don't like it, I'll trade you for a USGI one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ammo for M1

Tex...
There has been some discussion on the "Jouster" board recently 'bout what commercial fodder is appropriate for the M1.

The consensus seems to have been:
Remington = not only no but hell, no;
Federal American = a little hot, but generally OK;
Federal Gold Medal Match = generally OK.

UPDATE: Tex, here's a link to the appropriate thread on the "Jouster" board:
for Gus Fisher-M1 Garand commercial ammo

Note, too, that generally, bullet weights from 150 up to 170 grains (or so) work properly. Should be FMJ, too; HP's and softpoints don't feed too well.

Of course, using "real" M2 ball (available from the CMP) obviates all the problems.

Hope this helps.

Ben Hartley

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info Ben and Dookie. Ben: yeah Mooseman also thought the M2 ball from CMP was an excelent choice. Dookie: Thanks for the offer but I think I'll keep it. I am sure it does not add much value, but it is interesting. Again thank you both.

Dookie: if you really want one, some one has one for sell on E-Bay.

Item number 280133829560

·
Ahh..Cordite.
911 Posts
Aww man...now I have to go and try to find one for that price in the imaginary Gun Junk Yard..

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
Picked up my M1 today, well actually yesterday now, looks great and seems to function fine, still I am going to have a gunsmith check it befor I do. The owner said he fired a box of Federal through it without any problems and he is a dealer. what would you do? trust him and just shoot it, which I really, really, want to do, or wait till gunsmith checks it out? Also onr thing I noticed that I am unable to find any info on, is that on the spring cover of the rear sight there is an anchor with number 1084 under it. any ideas what this might mean?? I'll post some pics as soon as I can..
i do this with all my milsurps. tie it to a tree and pull the trigger with some string.
i usually do it 3 or 4 times.
i havent blown up a gun yet!
get behind something ALL the way!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok a littleinfo please, first when i put the trigger assembly back into the reciever it seemed to take a bit of orce to lock it back in place, slightly less than putting the trigger back into the sks, is this too much because I was following the direction on the surplus rifle site and in the pic it looked like the guy closed it with just a finger..second question what tool that is not the chamber brush or the flat head screw driver??

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
A little pressure is okay. Just don't force it if it starts to hang up more than say 1/2 inch from closing.

I think the tool you are talking about is for taking the handguard off.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
A little pressure is OK alot of pressure is better. The tighter the trigger latches the better the stock will hold tight to the rifle action which will give you tighter groups. Not real sure what you are asking about the tool?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Trigger Guard Tension

When reassembling the rifle, as you close the trigger guard, you should start to feel tension just as the "hook" end of the guard is slightly "above" the tip of the trigger.

You shouldn't have to take a mallet to it to get it closed, but a good bit of resistance is wanted. Too loose, and the trigger group can unlatch and fall out of the rifle when firing! This is not considered to be a Good Thing in Garand circles!

Hope this helps.

Ben Hartley

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Orlando:
well it was a little tight , like I said a little less than putting an sks trigger back on. the tool is called a Garand tool, from what I can gather, and it has 3 parts, 1 is the bore or chamber brush, 2 is the flathead kind of screwdriver for removeing the gas cylinder lock screw, 3 has 2 small pins at an angle with a longer pin on one side and a cresent moon shape on the other. its #3 that i dont know what it does.

yes Ben , thanks..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts