Gun and Game Forum banner

My first H&K

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Laufer 
#1 ·
I just picked up a new H&K VP9...

Kommifornia 10 day wait time... Range report in about 8 days. :)

See less See more
#7 ·
Now that's a nice score , confrats :) . On a side note I think that's a variant of the P9 that Fred Dryer used in his "Hunter" series :) .

Reactions: minkowski1552
#8 ·
Jeeeeeeze guys I'm sorry!

Well here's the scoop, nice gun. Striker fired BBQ lighter kind of trigger, but nicer than a Glock I suppose. I shoot Glocks so often they really don't bother me much but I admit they don't have the sweetest trigger by a long shot. The VP9 is quite a bit more friendly, especially to someone not used to shooting a striker fired pistol. It's slightly larger that a G19 in length and width but a full 1/2 inch taller, virtually identical weight. I think if you carry either one one, you'll probably be fine with the other. Feels a little more ergonomic in the hand than the Glock. Overall feels a bit more "refined" but then again it's an H&K and it's more expensive to maybe that's to be expected for a couple hundred clams more. In California it is "off roster" so it's more difficult to get, hence the street price on these in our lovely state is closer to $900 vs. $750 for a gen 4 Glock 19. Ignore pricing and apply those from your state and see if there's enough of a difference to sway one's decision.

Very nice feel in the hand, well balanced, and it comes with several palm swell and grip size panels so I think anyone could get a feel they like. Got a loaded cartridge indicator, a red dot at the rear of the slide and this is coming from someone that typically HATES LCI's because it's a babysitting tool I don't want or need. BUT, this one is unobtrusive and actually might serve a purpose, I'll explain more on that in a sec... At the rear of the slide are two "wings" to allow for easier slide operation, something I find unnecessary as the slide racks smoothly and with no more effort than any other 9mm I own. I guess it doesn't hurt, but IMO not needed although I could see it perhaps being helpful to someone with a weaker grip? Again, more on that in a sec, but I've heard they are removable so it's a non issue. The mag release is an ambidextrous downward pressure paddle type release located at the bottom rear of the trigger guard. I can reach it fairly easily, but I can see someone with a significantly smaller thumb perhaps needing to "reach" more than they should to manipulate it. I like it okay, works smoothly, but the location might not be the best feature of the pistol. Thus model came with three dot sights, not tritium but glow in the dark. They're ok. The thing I liked least about this pistol is the ambidextrous slide release, I feel it is somewhat difficult to manipulate on either side.

So shooting the gun is as one would pretty much expect from H&K and striker fired action having a love child. It has a very similar feel in the hand to the p30 so if you shoot that well and you're competent with a G19 you'll shoot this one well. I didn't experience much of the "low-left" syndrome that I seem to experience with every new pistol, I was on target within a mag or two. I am not a professional shooter by any stretch, but I am what I'd call "deadly competent" (as accurate as I need to be) with almost all my pistols and this one falls right in line. I can ring 8" steel rockers with it consistently at 25 yards so you don't want to stand in front of it. I wasn't catching brass with my face or down my shirt, and I didn't really note where is was going and IMO that's a good thing. Not only did I not catch any shells, the VP9 didn't catch any either and that's even better. To date it has been 100% reliable with various brands of 115g and 124g FMJ and a few boxes of HST 124g, our preferred 9mm SD ammo. Mag changes were effortless enough, but if you prefer to use the slide release rather than a "rack it" on reloads you might not like it, again I feel it's more difficult to manipulate. Field strip and cleaning are a breeze, no issues there.

This takes is to the issues I told you I'd get back to. Carrie owned a Glock 19, I owned the VP9. While practicing for her CCW qualifying she was "ok" but not great with the Glock. I let her shoot my VP9 and she fell in love and I couldn't blame her because her groups were literally half the size of the 19 whereas my groups are pretty identical. But... that's where the hand size and strength thing became a small issue, she was able to overcome it with slight technique changes but it's something that should be noted. Hence the slide "wings" are still in place (she likes the feature) as the slide release was too unreliable for her. This is also where the other thing, the red dot cartridge indicator became a positive for sure, she's a gal that doesn't shoot weekly like a lot of us and the peace of mind is a good thing. Seeing a visible red dot rather than a slightly protrudung extractor is nice for the untrained eye. So... yeah. The VP9 is hers now and she has it listed on her CCW permit (another Kommifornia rule). It is probably too large for most gals to carry concealed on the body as they tend to wear more flattering clothing, but purse carry would be ok. I think most guys could carry it IWB with the right holster unless you wear spandex.

All in all, I really like the gun.... but I still choose the G19 as my carry piece because I still feel overall everything considered it's the best defensive handgun made and because it is the handgun that by far I have shot the most. However, I feel most people will probably shoot the VP9 slightly better and I almost KNOW a novice/beginner will because it has a better trigger. If you are that person that shoots a couple hundred rounds a year, I think it's a better choice than the Glock. And let's face it, people don't flirt with the G19 much... the VP9 is a sexier gun for sure. On the other hand if you're like me, there's not enough there to get me to switch as far as my go-to.

Sorry for the late report, hope that helps. :p

#10 ·
Very nice RR, there AC.

Pretty much sums up my VP-40 except I do carry it as a CCW a fair bit. The G23 has been put more in a beater gun type of role when I'm going to be active doing stuff (or sweating heavily in the hot outdoors) and both do a good job. It's just that the VP-40 is more ergo and does it better. I think the stock trigger is very nice on the VP-40 and it is equal to or better than my Ghost Evo modified G23.

I like the mag release on the VP much better. The only drawback is the gun IS a full size gun so the G23 (or 19) would conceal somewhat better where that's important. Like you all, I like the wings which prevent slippage when racking the slide.

The only real downside of the HK is that the mags are harder on my thumb when loading them compared to the Glock due to the steel construction.

I find my Ventcore works pretty well when I'm carrying mine IWB; prefer OWB carry when able though. Not always possible if the gun is going somewhere others would wish it may not be.

Mine has the 3-dot night sights which work well enough -- I kinda like the XS type sights (or if those don't work for you the larger U-shaped rear sight with a larger dot front) in low light or bad environs. I have these on the Glocks; the traditional work better for range work but I find the big dots work better for moving around and low light. Love 'em or hate 'em I guess.

Thanks for the RR.

#11 ·
Thanks guys, I felt bad I promised it a couple years ago! It really is probably the nicest striker fired pistol I've shot, if another one comes available near me for a decent price I'll probably pick it up. Yeah JJ I guess it does qualify as a full size gun, still feels a bit less than a G17 I think? It's definitely more carry-friendly than a 226 IMO. My G17 is up at the cabin but that would be a good comparison to make too. I've never considered CCW for my 17 because since I'm limited to three (in state) I have to choose carefully. Further compounded by the fact I'm limited to ten rounds in the magazine even the G19 should probably give way to a G26 except when I leave the state I sometimes find a 15 round magazine somewhere... ;)

And you know the VP9 was my first H&K, it's not my only. Since I can only carry 11 rounds in the gun maybe I should try adding this bad boy to my permit. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.