Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my first kill with the Ruger Red"HAWK" was appropriately.... a snake.

a fat old water moccasin to be specific.

i had been outside shooting earlier on and had fired off about 60 rounds. i was done for the day so i had went to start cleaning my gun while my daughter had jumped in the creek for a swim. well i had the barrel cleaned and was swabbing the cylinder when she yelled "Dad, Dad, come here, it 's a snake!" well i hurry and go down there just grabbing the rake. the guns still wet with cleaner and it's no time to waste with your daughter in there. so the snake is about 10' away and my daughter is getting out of the creek and is in no danger at this point. well my first thought is that i never like to kill a snake pointlessly, but then i consider my son or daughter walking up and spooking this snake one day and ending up bit (this isn't the first time we've seen this one it must have been nesting close by) so i tell her to keep an eye on it and i go up and dry my barrel and one cylinder real quick and load one bullet. i get back and it's over on other other side of the creek in a little brush. i adjust the scope down since it's within 15' of me and i get a fix on it and figured i'd try to keep the head in tact so i shot it right behind its neck. as soon as i went to fire it moved, but not enough.... i got my first kill!!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I wonder if that snake was feelin' lucky..... did you fire 5 shots or 6........ well is he feelin' lucky..... IS HE......... PUNK!!!!!!!!:09:

O wait you only fired one. Nice shooting!:silly:

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
decept them some mean mothers ain't they, we have to deal with them here too ! In case the Yankee members didn't know Water Mococins will come after you. If your fish'in they'll be up in tree's and fall down in your boat with you. These are the one's I look for when I'm hunting...
Thanks diceptiv for git'in rid of it...A.H
p.s. they have an oder, they stink some times and if you smell one, but don't see it it's best to GET !!!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Good shootin' Dceptiv!

Looks like that snake didn't have a prayer... and good on ya for fulfilling your duty as a father to protect your family with your firearms.;)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Anyone else here having problems with snakes this year? I've shot 2 rattlesnakes with a .243 in the last week, and saw 2 8+ft long bullsnakes in the past 2 days.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Dang, if it ain't snakes, it's zombies.:)

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
If I 'm not mistaken, water moccosins are the same thing as copper mouth snakes. Anyway, once my buddy and I were fishing in a small boat and we tied up to a tree for a while to do some casting. Suddenly, we saw this copper mouth swimming directly toward our boat and it started trying to climb up it's sides. About that time we decided it was time to "get out of Dodge" so I quickly untied the rope while my buddy whacked away at the snake as it's head was about to pop on over the edge of the boat. Don't know what we'd have done had it gotten inside. From that point on we decided to stay away from those overhanging tree limbs as we fished.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
lol. Thats why we carry a lil old .410 with us when we go fishing. Takes care of em. Of course, I shot a rattlesnake this year 3 times with a .243 from 10 yards, just because I didn't want him to make it to the weeds.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I hate water moccosins! They are the most pissed off creatures on this planet and they will swim across the lake just to bite you. I will leave all other snakes alone, but kill every water moccosin you see.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I saw a thing on AP or Nat. Geo. (one of them) about water mocs. They said that when they charge, it's just a bluff, but I never waited around to find out.
When I was a teenager, we lived where there were a lot of test pits(full of water) at a rock quarry, and they were crowded with snakes. My dog Pete(cocker Spaniel) and I would go down there and I would shoot them and he would hunt in the tall grass, catch, kill and tear them apart. He never ate any. In about a year we had them under control. That was the thickest I have ever seen them.
I've no love for that snake at all.
Snuffy

·
Registered
247 Posts
A couple of years ago, on my Ranch, I brush-hogged the creek bottom pasture that I had cattle on, and there was a wet spot in the center that was too wet. Later in the year I went back to brush-hog it. I went around the perimeter and when I got near the center I started seeing Water Moccasins striking at my tires and heard the brush-hog hitting them. By the time I finished the odor was so bad I could hardly stand it. I had a .44 Mag. Revolver in my Truck, and I got it and finished off what I missed with the Bush-hog. I bet there were at least 100 from the size of your arm on down is size. I'm sure glad I didn't walk across it before I Bush-hogged it. I had noticed some of my cows with snakebites.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was canoeing down The Falls of the Neuse River in NC, with my girlfriend and some friends in another canoe. When I saw this snake swimming about 50 yards away. We were going thru a set of rapids and the snake was on the other side. My gf and I cleared the rapids and were waiting for the couple in the other canoe. They spazzed out on the rapids and flipped. Well I was watching that snake. As soon as they hit the water the snake turned and headed their way. I took a look at it as it got closer and noticed it was a Moc. I pulled my Beretta 9mm out of my tackle box and let him have it. It took me 5 shots to hit him from my canoe, but I got him. The other couple were freaked out by this. But the guy knew when he saw the snakem what it was.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Cottonmouths go out of their way to confront anything they percieve as a threat. I nail em everychance I get because of their behaviour. But they always wind up being fish food cause we won't eat em. Rattlers yep we fry and enjoy not cotton mouths

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
They are a mean snake. Anyone who has read Lonesome Dove can tell you.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Thats the only snake that worries me when I'm hunting, I have smelled them but could'nt locate them many times. I high step it out of there !

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
We've had a lot of snakes on my street in the last couple of years. Mostly copperheads. I killed three myself. Pretty tough little snakes. One took 3 9mm round around the head and neck before it stopped flailing and another took 6 rounds from a .22 pistol. Best kill I got was when I saw my cat and dog sitting next to eachother staring at the tree line. I went to get a better look and sure enough there was one coiled up, not looking too happy. I ran and grabbed the only loaded weapon I had, a 12 gauge loaded with #6 birdshot. From about 6 feet, I shot the snake reducing it from about 3 feet long to only one identifiable piece about 6 inches long lying next to the crater I had created. I think I may have scared my family because I then turned to see all of them staring wide eyed at me as I ejected the spent casing.:scool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts