Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 10 times of looking at SOG's ad for the 39.95 M44 I decided to go head and try to get one. I called the gun shop (No Iv'e been lazy and haven't gotten my C&R yet) Any way, they said they charge 10% plus shipping to bring it in. COOL! Not, I hobble with my screwed up foot to the gun store, driving the stick with the Isuzu (wife had the F-150) I get there and they tell me the 10% dosent apply because the price is too low. Furthermore I checked the shipping to be $7.00 They COD that stuff adding about another $8. OK now add about $35 moe to a surp rifle I don't even get to at.

He points out he has M44's new condition, but they are $100. Not to mention tax. I'm not going to get a smoki'n deal, just not gonna happen. Is $100 worth it? I'm thinking I'd be better served using the money on my 870 slug bbl.

Still no mosin in my future.:nod:

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Well, Jerry, I can only speak for what I've seen here in Arizona but it seems like the 44 is the more expensive of the 44, 91/30, 38 line when all conditions are the same. I'm not sure why that is...perhaps the folding bayonet because most 44s don't come with any bells and whistles like the sling, oiler, etc.

But I have never heard of one being 'new' nor have I yet seen a rearsenaled 44. I've heard the term 'like new' or arsenal rebuild in the Mosin line (not the same) but not new.

J&G in Prescott has 'excellent' ones for $79 so if you came across an aresenal rebuild 44 I'd say $100 is reasonable.

I'd hate to recommend, one way or another, for getting one since you know your needs and desires better than I. But, I'd say you're gonna get one sooner or later...sounds like you got the makings of the Mosin Nagant virus, and the ONLY known cure is getting one....or two....or three....or......

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info Dale, New was my perception. the gun looked very good. didn't think about arsenal refurb. It came with an accesory kit per the label on the end of the box. I didn't remember what imoporter it came from. may go back tommorrow when I can drive an automatic.

problem is I think the gun is neat as heck, but have a hard time dhooting the ones I have now, and as mentioned. I NEED a slug barrel. or at least I think I do.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,326 Posts
Dude, my gunstore has them for $89.95 otd with tax. Get that license!!! I can get one from SOG shipped for $59.00!!!!

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,087 Posts
I bought my 1946-dated Izzy M44 at our local gunshow, from a vendor I deal with often and trust. He had a tablefull of the "unissued" condition rifles for $99, and some well-used guns for about $59. I opted for the unissued. Beautiful gun - deep rich blueing and a blonde stock with lots of cartuches and arsenal marks - no dings at all, just some discoloration from the cosmoline.
It shoots better than my two long rifles - the M91 and M91/30.
I can make a two-liter soda bottle dance on the 110-yard berm, off-hand. I can't do that with any other milsurp I have.
I did get some ribbing from the guys for having the bayonet extended. Told 'em I was ready if that soda bottle charged! :p
I am very happy with mine for a C-note. :cool:

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know, the license thing keeps haunting me. I don't like the big brother factor, but moreso, I'm afraid if I get it I'll go into relapse and go through an uncontrollable bout of gun buying. Kind of like fallin off the wagon. :D

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I'm glad to know there ARE some 'new'/unissued 44s out there.

I might just have to look for one.

My 91/30 and 38 are unissued (my 44 looks like it's been through more than one war bluing wise) but I never knew that about 44s....cool.

Thanks for the info, Big Dog.

·
37,087 Posts
The story I've gotten is that the Soviets kept producing the M44 and squirreled them away for the peasants to use, if the US had continued into Russia as Patton and MacArthur wanted to do. Of course, the peasants never got to use these rifles - they have sat in warehouses - forgotten til Russia needs capital and all those crazy American cowboys are paying good green for old obsolete guns. ;)
Dos Vidanya! :cool:

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,326 Posts
Got a beautiful M44 laminate today...it was counterbored though.

·
37,087 Posts
Counterboring is no problem, Joe. Standard procedure when rearsenalled by the military. Ivan probably mucked up the bore at the crown with that steel cleaning rod.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,326 Posts
Some of the muzzle crowns were damaged during the war, so they counter bored them a 1/4 inch or so to round out the crown again...dummy! ;) :D

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,326 Posts
OOPS...posted while you were...yeah no biggie. I did just realize that my M44 is a 1944 dated one...Izzy arsenal...aren't 1944 dated M44's supposed to be the rarest?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts