Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just bought my first Mosin M91/30 this past weekend. Gun show there was one for $85 but i didn't like how it looked, so i decided to spend the extra $10 and get a nicer one. This baby is beautiful!!!! The Stock looks brand new, no scratches of any kind on it! the Rifling is excellent and the bolt is so smooth! All the numbers on it match, even the bayonet has the same numbers as the rifle, i'm not sure if most of them do or not but I thought that was pretty cool. Besides that the rifle is my most favorite out of all of them. Also when i got it I bought the ammo that came in a clear brown like falling apart wrapper, w/ silver tips, forgot what kind it is, but I am amazed by the ammo. What is everyone talking about, about this gun hurting there shoulders???? Whats wrong with you? never shoot a rifle before?? this gun has absolutly no kick at all, just a little more then my .22!I've read how peoples shoulder get sore after 20 rounds, I could have shot all the ammo i bought, about 120, and my should probably wouldnt have even hurt!! So idk what people are saying by this gun hurts there shoulders but unless I have week ammo my gun doesnt kick at all. Pics will be on soon, the camera is not working right now.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
doesnt kick huh? ok tough guy.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sounds like you got a keeper there F1609. Congrats! Finding one with a matching bayonet is kind of hard to do. My bayoney for my 91/30 doesn't match at all!
As for the recoil, the 91/30 isn't too bad. It's weight soaks it up pretty well. However, if you are looking for a sore shoulder you should pick up an M38 or an M44 and shoot them benched. They weigh a bit less, so you definitely feel it with them the most. Mosins are a lot of fun to collect, so you should start buying the other models... no they are NOT addictive I SWEAR! I've only got 6 of them, leave me alone!
:ahem:
But anyway, tell us some more about your rifle. What year of manufacture is it, and what factory was it manufactured from? ( Tula generally has a big star, Izzy's have a triangle with an arrow in the middle. The markings are on the receiver ) Welcome to the sickness that is Mosin collecting.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
the last time i put a buncha rds. thru my 91/30 i could tell....it does sound like a beauty rifle! good for you, im on the lookout for another one. this time a really nice one!so many orphans so little $.....P.S. sorry bout the sourpuss previous post maybe im jealous....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gun was manufactured at Isvesk date is, i think, 1943. One other thing i was wondering is what are the different serial numbers? I found some with M91/30 in them others that don't. Some start with different letters? Are certain serial numbers rarer than others? Mine is an XO cerial number and I was just wondering if this is anything or not. Also the CCCP coat of arms is VERY clear as with all other markings. The bluing on the rifle is VERY nice except for where the bayonet rubs when put on, but is not too noticable. Hmm i can't really think of anything else but within a week i WILL have the photos up!! O yea by the way i shot it around 7:00 last night and the muzzle blast looks awesome, from what i heard it be better with the carbines :)

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
The gun was manufactured at Isvesk date is, i think, 1943. One other thing i was wondering is what are the different serial numbers? I found some with M91/30 in them others that don't. Some start with different letters? Are certain serial numbers rarer than others? Mine is an XO cerial number and I was just wondering if this is anything or not. Also the CCCP coat of arms is VERY clear as with all other markings. The bluing on the rifle is VERY nice except for where the bayonet rubs when put on, but is not too noticable. Hmm i can't really think of anything else but within a week i WILL have the photos up!! O yea by the way i shot it around 7:00 last night and the muzzle blast looks awesome, from what i heard it be better with the carbines :)
boy! ill say! dont do it around dry brush...:firedevil: :firedevil:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok been doing some research on the serial number thingy i asked. So far i have found that Iszesk started to number with two letters followed by four numbers. But on my rifle it is either two letters followed by three numbers or one letter followed by four numbers. The start is XO and it is either X0 or XO i cant really tell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought a Hungarian and some new surplus military ammo.
My buddie has one as well and he had some old ammo "check" didn't kick and didn't even make a loud noise.
I have some fresh ammo and at 6'5" 280 I am not small I bruised my sholder after 20 rounds....

Sad to say someone hacked the barrel and the stock and even cut into the barrel on mine so I ordered another to replace it.
Picks comming soon!

Mosin Rocks

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
They do not recoil that badly especially if you have them positioned properly. I have shot up to 60 rounds at a setting with no effects.
Neat rifles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts