Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first Mosin Saturday morning! Its a 1946 M44. I bought it at at a gun show for $54. The dealer said that there was a marking of the stock that meant the stock was originally from a m91/30 (anybody else see this?). I spent about 4 hours cleaning it and it looks great! The bore is very shiny. It had quite a bit of cosmo, but mineral spirits took good care of that. Also bought some Yugo heavy ball lead core ammo. I hope to test fire it soon and post pics when I get them loaded!

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Sounds pretty sweet! Not a bad deal, I'd say. Make sure to let us know how it shoots....

·
Registered
570 Posts
Wow, very nice M44! For $54 dollars you walked away with a real steal. I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot, just make sure to wear good hearing protection when ya take her out as the M44's have a pretty beastly roar to them.
Enjoy your new Mosin, and welcome to the addiction!:biggthumpup:

·
Premium Member
30,707 Posts
i bet youll like it ,i do mine!one of the best deals around

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Hey, for $54 for a 1946, you can't loose. The metal looks pretty good and the stock should clean up real nice.

You gotta love M44's. Definately heed MD's advice on the hearing protection. If you shoot at night wear welders glasses, and ya might want to consider a recoil pad as well. These old Ruskies will put a bruse on that right (or left) pec and shoulder, and give flash burns to anyone standing near the muzzle.

That's what makes it fun. Welcome to Mosinitis, any contact with Russian cosmoline and it's all over.

·
Premium Member
30,707 Posts
i bought a pad and swap it out amongst my m.n.s those things have abrutal recoil! i wouldnt shoot mine much without it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts