Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone, i finally got one! a Model 91/30. this is the first gun ive ever owned personally and may i say it is the prettiest thang ive yet to see. i got it from aim(was the last one, i think) and it has a sexy dark patina finish with hardly any scratches or marks, much better than some of the others i've seen on the internet. i'll definately try and get a few pictures of it as soon as i can! but i'm not here to brag, i'm here to get a few questions answered. here we go:

1. how do i decock this !!!! thing? i dont like dry firing and I really dont want to unload the rifle and then pull the trigger.

2. what the hell is up with this safety? you got to be arnold schwarzenegger just to activate it! theres got to be an easier way to do this...

3. does dry firing hurt the gun in any way? im a bit reluctant to keep doing this as im afraid it might bring harm to my little piece of history.

thats it i guess, tell me what else you think i should know. i havent fired it yet, mainly because i dont have any ammunition yet, but its on its way. anyway, I look at this rifle more as a piece of art than anything else. I just want to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible before i arm myself with the rifle.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
1. hold on to the cocking knob, squeeze the trigger, and ease down the knob.

2. build up that upper body strength. there is no other way that i know of.

3. my opinion once in a while won't hurt it.

enjoy that sucker. and if you use mil/surp ammo...do not delay in cleaning the bore, and bolt head with hot soapy water, followed by Hoppes #9 and oil.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
yep that safety is a bear, but when comrade commisar is breathing down your neck I geuss those russkies got super human, when you get to the part of the dreaded bolt opening problem, there are some answers

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
lmao! yup the bolt not opening will make ya cuss that beauty! first time mine locked i tried to think of every way i could to gently get it open , finally i just put the butt on the ground and kicked the dang thing open! lol they are great rifles but they do require some patients and at times some plain old brutal violence! ENJOY BRO!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
WW, and I thought I was the only person on the range kicking my mosin.

As far as the safety I just don't use it.

Sum1_special have you cleaned all of the Cosmoline off the rifle yet?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,026 Posts
The first time you disassemble the bolt is an adventure too, but it's actually pretty easy once you get the knack. Kinda like a Chinese puzzle. :)

The Mosin has a certain gracefulness to it, that I think we are drawn too. That, or the infamous drug-laced cosmo the KGB put on 'em, that makes us buy 'em. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:rolleyes:... anyway, no i havent got all the cosmoline off. I wiped the gun down with a damp rag, just enough so it doesnt make your hands dirty; I like the smell of it :) and the honey feel makes the gun seem laminated in a way. if it starts to bleed let it bleed i say ;).

since this thing is my first rifle, and because it looks so darn good i'm extremly careful with it. hell i'll admit it, im downright paranoid... i dont like leaning it against anything for fear of bending the rifle and making it inaccurate. i ram my head against the wall every time i bump it against something. I keep it wrapped up in a towel so it wont collect dust. i dont even like holding it because i think my hands will mar the wood... when i got it it had a couple of scuff marks on the stock and alot of small ones on the grip. just how fagile is the original finish anyway? and how do I fix the marks that are already there?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Sum 1
I completly understand your behavior Many here have the same feelings about new rifles that you do
you are priveledged because You have US to talk to about it.
ok
First off,..... dont be afraid of handling your Mosin you arent going to hurt it. the metal parts are salt blued and the stock is shellacked.
that is the original finnish
now many people find their mosins with a "oiled finish" thats ok too
the stock is made of birch wood, very common in the soviet union
as the war progresed it became necessary to make stocks from laminated wood these are very nice too.
Birch is naturally a very blond wood so it is stained.
Mosins have many different shades of wood on them this is because of different manufacturerers and different colors of wood and stains and how oil soaked the wood is.

so on to the "cosmo" situation
cosmoline is a protectant grease it does not lubricate.
it keeps the guns from rusting during long storage periods.
Since Tri cloraethlene is now gone ya cant "vat " large numbers of guns efficiently any more.
so we get guns still with cosmoline in them.
cosmoline is heat activated
so on a warm day its going to be a greasey mess.
Haveing it in a warm heated vehicle its going to be a greasey mess.
shooting it and getting the barrel hot its going to be a greasy mess.
so
if you choose to not dissassemble your rifle and clean the cosmoline out of it You will get to experience Why every one says clean the cosmoline out of it.

Ok
Dissassembling your rifle is simple and easy
you can do this
we will help you
you will need a flat head screw driver
and some spray solvent, I like carburator cleaner just dont inhale the vapors and do your spraying on the porch.

I can help ya do a step by step dissassembley
Dont be scard it isnt that complicated you will do fine.

send me a pm if ya need help
I am glad you are enjoying your mosin nagant.
it is a great rifle.
theres a lot of tricks I can show ya.

good luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you for that reply dennis ;) I have done tons of research on this rifle before I bought it but there are alot of things you need to figure out on your own when you get it. the cosmoline for example. i'm going to miss the feel and smell but if its gotta go its gotta go. i dont have any of those fancy solvents and oils but what I do have is a can of ballistol. this is great stuff. i use it to clean anything from tools to wood to leather. though it was made for firearms i used it long before i bought one. would this work if I soak the wood and metal in it?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
unfortunately they outlawed use of the stuff that cleans cosmo the best. the best stuff is benzene. dang the E.P.A.! but i have found that lightning degreaser works pretty good for metal but i dont know what it would do to the finish of the wood. the cosmo is gonna be tuff to get off the wood because it penetrates into the grains.ya have to use something to draw it out and all the things that do that well also strip the finish.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
god I love it when ya talk dirty to me joe, sum1 that old nagant is as rugged as a vice. The main problem everyone seems to have, well not everyone, is the bolt freezing closed after a couple of rounds, and ya have to beat the thing open. If that happens to you there are some things that you can do to correct it, just let us know if that happens and well give you 20 answers to correct it. It does not like lacqured ammo like the cz silver tip you see advertised. at least mine do not, the nagant forum is a big help also, so clean her up and let fly bro

whrilwind --benzene? give ya cancer

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Tricloraethelen with a heated tank would be good cleans typewriters and auto parts
Sum1 you are going to have to dissassemble it seperate the wood from the metal
scrub it down.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts