Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My older brother gave me two guns years ago. A Colt 1911A1 and a 1903 SA rifle. He had been on a rifle team at Ft. Belfort, Va. back in the 1950s. They shot the M1 Garand and the 1903 rifles. Sometime after his discharge he ordered a Colt and a 1903 from Golden States Arms in California. Here are copies of the receipts for both. $39.95 for the 1903 and $39.95 for the Colt 1911A1. They were shipped direct to him by Rrailway Express.

The team used the Lyman #48 SS peep sight on the 1903 so he bought one for $12.50 rear and $5.00 front. He gave me the original boxes for the sights also.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Wow Some good deals there Silver. Seems prices today are nothing short of heartbreaking especially with anything stocked with walnut and decent bluing. Paid $325 for a Rem. 700 brand new in 84. A look in the catalog now could cause a coronary. Speaking of milsurps my fathers Kar 98 from WW2 will catch over a grand being an all matcher. Too many sporterized years back. Thanks for the post.

·
Premium Member
5,304 Posts
Reactions: killsnapz

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Wow, $39 a piece, that's incredible

$17.50 for the sights huh? $17.50 won't even buy you a box of .30-06 ammo now :D

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Also don't even want to think about the Colt Woodsman Target I passed up on many years back. Talk about regret.
Hindsight is 20-20 as they say buddy. Really is crazy how prices have shot up. Especially since Obozo took office

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since the coming of the internet, forums and auctions, the collectibles have begun to disappear rapidly. The local gun shows may have a few but the prices are unreal and if the buyer is not very well versed on the gun he seeks there is a very good chance he will end up with a Bubba's Garage special.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Back in 1986 I passed on an all number matching Luger from the very GI who brought it back from WWII for $500 bucks!! I went out the next week and bought a brand new Beretta 92F for $650 instead. Never regretted buying the Beretta as I fell in love with it and they were hard to get a hold of way back in 86 but passing on that Luger still grinds my gears every time I pick up a pistol. Especially my Wather P-38!

·
Registered
39 Posts
In 1969 I bought an all-matching Luger from the son of a WWII vet who took it off an old German officer in Germany. It was so perfect that not only did it match, but it had only the slightest of edge wear on the tip of muzzle. Had a fellow look at it locally who buys and sells the stuff and he offered me a pretty fair amount for it and I decided to keep it! I couldn't bring myself to sell it when he said it was worth something and I thought about how long I had kept up with it. My $100 investment had returned itself 20 times over on that day, but it had been with me so long it seemed unfair to it or me to let it go. When I started watching Lugers in magazines these sold for $39. The last ones they returned from Russia sold for several hundred in the late 1980s. Should have bought a truckload of them.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
You bet your life mack and I am glad you have decided to hold onto it. Many in good shape and all matching are at the $2000 amount. Seems many WW2 firearms have greatly increased in value over the years. I would say you have made a great investment.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Have been keeping up with prices on 1903, 03A3s. Every now and then your find one that is really expensive! $2000 - $3000. Have seen some Smith Corona's going for big bucks. Why is that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts