close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Latest Toy For My Yugo

Discussion in 'SKS' started by gandog56, Apr 9, 2014.

1. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Need some 7.62X39 blanks for it though.

[​IMG]

gsbuickman, Tack Driver and GSFixit like this.
  2. GSFixit

GSFixit Curmudgeon In Training

PA
    With all your stuff can't you just load some blanks up yourself? Or is that something specialized that's hard to do? Never having reloaded I'm without a clue.

And of course we want pictures and video when you use it!

mack310 and Big Dog like this.

3. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

That's a whole different animal from mine. Mine was a NATO practice grenade. It is white, with blue lettering.
    Kinda like the top one in this picture, but the head is shaped more like a radish and the fins are metal

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1dJ7O-Sck...olXo-B9Y/s1600/riflegrenadeYugoAKM-Spigot.jpg

I've never actually fired it, though, because it is largely made from wood, and I just know the first time I fired it it would find a rock and break.

I downloaded plans from somewhere on how to make a dummy grenade out of an oil filter, a dowel rod, and cardboard. If more important projects ever run out (not likely) I want to try it.

4. gandog56

No, this dummy is all metal. And I don't know if I could reload blanks, never did so before. Not real sure how they crimp the case closed and exactly what charge weight of what powder to use.

5. GSFixit

PA
  6. PaleHawkDown

I actually bought some 7.62x39 grenade blanks. The ones I got had a red wax/lacquer stopper rather than a crimp. I don't know if that is typical (in fact I'm pretty sure it is not because regular east-bloc blanks are crimped) but it might be a way to go. Those things were ridiculously dirty though, and they smoked more than any "smokeless" ammo I've ever seen. They came in a pack of 10, in brown paper re-closeable boxes a lot like what Crayola crayons come in. Each 10-pack was in a sealed silver pouch that was a booger to break into. I only bought two pouches - 20 rounds, because the guy swore he would be back at the flea market the next week (he never returned as far as I know). Both packs cost me $8.

These are the ones I usually see:
    http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7808334

I may actually have found one of those reappearing and disappearing Twilight Zone venders that sells things that technically do not exist, since I can not find any like the ones I had on the internet.

7. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Evangelist

I always found it interesting how a rifle cartridge blank could have enough power to propel a large grenade like that, but they do. Very nice Ganny. Hope you can find some blanks, scour the ol interweb

8. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I have one of those grenade adapters too. I bought it with the intention of making a line thrower for my boat SKS when I used to fish offshore. I have not shot it with any thing attached yet but just the adapter can go farther than I can see and I almost lost it. I just used regular blanks. with the weight of a grenade (or other improvised munition) I'm not sure a regular blank wiould have enough power. I have never seen grenade firing blanks offered for sale and have thought about reloading but am leery of doing that with no data to guide me. blanks are usually black powder and that can be kind of finicky when pushing a heavy projectile like a rifle grenade.

9. PaleHawkDown

Man, the local LGS has an Enfield line thrower as well as an Enfield shotgun. Both with British acceptance marks. How cool would it be to show up at the marina with an SKS or Enfield line thrower.

blaster likes this.
  10. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

I have a golf ball launcher for my VZ-58. I make my own blanks with no reloading equipment. I take some cheap steel cased ammo, and pull the bullets from several with pliers. Then I take one casing and use the powder to fill up the rest of the casings almost to the top. Then I take some needlenose pliers and crimp the neck as best I can. You can never got it fully closed that way by hand, so I put a couple drops of wax over it to seal it up.

Before anyone says loading that much powder in dangerous, remember than there is no projectile at all. It's perfectly safe. I've never had enough pressure to cycle the action on my VZ-58. The golf balls fly about 350-450 yards.

blaster likes this.
  11. PaleHawkDown

I still think it would be cool to make blanks of varying powers for a golf ball launcher so that you could actually play golf with it.

Each load would be the equivalent of a club.

for the putter you could use the butt stock maybe

870shooter1 and GSFixit like this.
  12. GSFixit

PA
    You should organize a tournament! The problem may be finding a course that would allow for a nice quite round of "Rifle Golf".

13. gandog56

I use a 1000 yard range. I don't think it will go quite that far. It might be interesting to see if the grenade launcher sights are a joke or actually useful.

Think I'll paint the sucker florescent yellow or something to make it easier to find in the grass.

SKS NOOB, GSFixit and blaster like this.
  14. PaleHawkDown

I read a cool article a few years ago about the JSO - kinda like Yugoslavia's version of the Spetsnaz. One of the men they interviewed said the SKS would reliably put the grenade through a window at 150 meters. Granted, that was with the rocket shaped grenades they used.

I found the article after a day of Wikipedia link surfing, message board links and redirects on the day I found my NATO practice grenade. Not sure I could ever find it again.

15. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

I needeth this toy to scare the Liberals.

Big Dog likes this.
  16. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

Hot pink. DEFINITELY, hot pink. ;)

Big Dog likes this.
  17. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Check with the fellers at Tuco's Gunboards AK/SKS forum. I'd bet they have a couple guys who have done this.

18. I would attach a 3-4 foot piece of the hot-pink marking tape to it before I shot it. Be easier to spot.

I have the grenade spigot for my Yugo AK, I need a practice grenade for it!

19. PaleHawkDown

As someone who used to play golf - fluorescent golf balls are a great idea until you realize how much more of nature is fluorescent yellow (or orange for that matter).

I like Thrillbilly's idea.

I just realized how much fun one would be with a model rocket parachute nosecone. It would be like those plastic "Airborne Rangers" we played with as kids...but on a higher degree of military play.

20. yeah..Orange, Red and Yellow are common in nature. I use zebra-stripe and hot pink fletches on my arrows. Aint nothing in nature pure white or hot pink hardly.