Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shooting recently and had some alarming issues with my Garand. For one, it was in the evening and getting cold so I was clumsy with my enbloc clip and had it pop out on me while trying to load it. Finally I got it loaded and it shot fine for a bit but later I had the entire trigger assembly fall out on me! I fired off a shot and I heard something metal fall down next to my foot and there it was. The trigger guard must had swiveled out and allowed the whole thing to just fall out. My Garand is pretty old and worn and everything fits rather loose. I put it back together and reluctantly tried it some more and it shot fine after that except for one or two of those clicks with no boom. I've had that a few time in the past either from deep primers or a worn firing pin. Not sure which, though. The oprod can get jammed when you're loading it up by pulling it back and allowing it to travel a bit out to the right. I think it may need a new op-rod and some tighter stocks... but in either case, I think the old girl needs to see a doctor before I trust her to do much more shooting...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would agree. There are lots of parts out on the market right now. Take it to a gunsmith and ask what parts are worn out. You should have it shooting fine in no time.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
What ammo were you shooting? Sounds to me that you have a few problems. They can be easily fixed though. The trigger group falling out can either be from compressed wood in the stock making it loose or worn lugs on the trigger guard. A trigger guard is around $15.00- $20.00. Clip comeing out prematuly can be a worn lclip latch spring $3.00 . Primers not getting dented and FTF, Hum, have you cleaned the inside of the bolt? If it is gummed up it won't let the firing pin move freely. Let us know what you find out. Bad thing about gunsmiths, most don't know crap about Garands or how to fix them

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Your gun is very worn and dangerous. Please send it to me for disposal.

Seriously, there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with one that can't be fixed for a few dollars. Follow Orlano's advice. Also, try storing the rifle with the trigger guard not latched, but open. The wood may expand a bit. You can get the old girl up and running for under $50.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Oh and one more thing the lugs may be worn on the Op Rod making it loose and making it jamb up, or worse its possible the reciever rails are worn. Ther is a guy that can repair the Op Rod I will get you his contact number. Is you Garand properly Greased? It should run on grease not oil. That can be another reason for the difficult Op Rod. I would do a complete stip down and thourough cleaning and lube and then see how it functions. You can also cut pieces of heavy paper or thin cardbord and lay in where the trigger hits the wood. This can tighten up the assembly, but check for worn lugs first

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Agreed on all of the above except one possibility on the op rod. I have seen many people pull the op rod incorrectly and pull it right out of the slot. Yes it would mean there is some ware on the lug but can be avoided by pulling the op rod back inwards and not outwards and up. It can be like firing a semi auto pistol where as many will jam a round in it from not holding it properly. My PPK is like this when some fire it and I have never had a round jam. If you were in Ohio I wood look it over for you. Be careful who looks at it as many think they know the M1 and do not. There quick to toss parts and replace it. Your trigger guard may be able to be tapped back into place if you do not see wear all over the connecting parts. Rick B

·
Registered
224 Posts
M1 Falling Apart

Should you decide to have a real expert check the operating rod in you M1, contact:

Jim Swartz
827 Elgin Circle
Pickerington, Ohio 43147

614-834-4895
E-Mail: [email protected]

Jim has a splendid reputation in our community; I've not had any op rod work done by him, but all the comments I've read have been highly complimentary.

See my earlier post about lubrication, too.

Parts are available at gun shows, of course, but are quite often used and of questionable serviceability. For new parts, two outfits I've had good luck with are:

Orion 7,
Orion 7 Enterprises Inc.
...that's Tony Pucci; he's good people;
and Fulton Armory,
Fulton Armory: FAR-15 Stuff, Garand Stuff, and More!
...and that's Clint McKee's outfit; he's good people, too.

HTH

Ben Hartley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts