close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My M4 alternative...Accurized Mini-14

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LOCKnLOAD, May 24, 2002.

1. Here is a pic of my accurized Mini. I can shoot 1/2" groups at 100yds, and even shoot 62gr Wolf ammo with respectable 1"-1.5" groups with it. My M4 like the wolf stuff, but with all the talk I am hearing of the lacquer coating problem some are having, I would rather shoot alot and not worry about messing up my M4.

This thing is fun and even looks likda kool too. I always get asked at the range for some to try it out since they like the price of the mini as opposed to the price of a entry level AR.

:target:

Attached Files:

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

OOOOOWEEEEE! THATS A RIGHT PURTY GUN YOU GOT THERE! I GOT A MINI-14 IN BLUE THATS ALL STOCK EXCEPT FOR 30 ROUND CLIPS AND A FLASH SUPPRESSOR. WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR PARTS OR HAVE YOUR WORK DONE?

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

What kind of barrel is that? Nice laminated stock. Like the muzzlebrake too.

4. Klaus,

The barrel is actually the standard one sleeved with a steel and carbon fiber outer casing. Something similiar that they do to the Rem 700's with the carbon fiber outer sleeve. The carbon fiber really makes the barrel stiff, and that is the key to making the mini shoot well.

All the talk I have read on here comparing the mini 14 to the AR is well versed and knowledgable. However, if I had to go to battle, I would rather take my mini over my AR, simply for the fact that I would not have to clean it that often.

My mini on good days out shoots my AR, but soes not smell like my AR does after a day at the range. For some reason I cannot get that "Gun Powder" smell out of my AR. My mini on the other hand smells like roses. I know that is a stupid comparison, but for me it is important.

Besides, I really feel that the action of the mini is more reliable than that of the AR. Mr shooting partner knows from experience, since he was almost killed in Nam in 66 because of a AR jamming on him. He picked up an AK off a dead VC and fired away.

SO my choice of battle f ifle would be my mini-14, and AK. For sniping I would selct my Enfield #4 sniper. That thing can hit a dime at 500yrds.

Comments appreciated.

:assult: :nod:

5. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Of course you can't get the smell out of th AR. The gas is vented into the middle of the receiver and coats everything with residue. As for the mini, I thought that the barrel looked a bit big. Sounds like a great gun. The only gripes I had with the mini were the non-standard magazine and the poor accuracy. They should have made it AR-15 compatible. The poor accuracy seemed to be due to a slight flexing of the barrel due to the location and design of the gas piston.

6. Klaus,

You are correct about the barrel flexing. That was the problem with a factory mini. But the barrel sleeve that I had put on totally eliminates that flexing. That is why it shoots so well now.

7. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

That is why I commented on it. I had mentioned this before, months ago, and got a whole slew of posts denying it and saying unkind things about me. Then there were slurs about Texas. This was right after Dewman's infamous coyote shot. I was able to find ballistics tables that go out to 800 yards, and the bullet drop is well over 20 FEET at that range.