Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new here. I live in the communist state of California :/ I came across your website while looking for information on this rifle. I picked it up at a gun show a few decades ago. Well, I’m thinking about clearing out some clutter. I thought before I take it down to a gun store, I would ask you guys what it might be worth. It’s not in very good shape, and I don’t know if it fires. So here are a few pictures, any information would be greatly appreciated.

All numbers match

Thanks!
IMG_8275.JPG
IMG_8277.JPG
IMG_8278.JPG
IMG_8279.JPG

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Its a Model 1871. I am thinking you have a single shot rifle. These did not have the 5 round capacity of later Mauser rifles. There were alot of experimental work tried on these to convert them to several round capacity. I cant really give you a value without seeing it in person.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a Model 1871. I am thinking you have a single shot rifle. These did not have the 5 round capacity of later Mauser rifles. There were alot of experimental work tried on these to convert them to several round capacity. I cant really give you a value without seeing it in person.
Tanks for the response. It is a single shot and it is a big caliber. I guess my question is is worth even taking it downtown or is it just a wall hanger. I have 4 walls the wife might let me hang it.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
It is even hard to say what it is chambered in as they tried several different chamberings. I even think the 30/40 Krag. Ii am thinking you cant find the caliber stamped on it? I would honestly myself not shoot it. It is probably shootable as many rifles the same age still are. I would not chance it as there are not a whole lot of these around also. Ii would wall hang it. Let me know if you see the caliber stamped anywhere. I think Steyr, Dreyse made these rifles

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Can make out the 1871 and 1876 on reverse side. My book lists a Rifle version GEW 71 and a 1871 Carbine Kar 71 but no caliber unfortunately. Wish it had more info but gun might have some considerable value. Will see if I can dig up more info.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
I found some info and said some were chambered in 10.15MM. Not sure what that would be caliber wise. I didnt see the 1876 but there were no model 1876 so maybe a modification date at the arsenal??
Ok I took another look at the pics. That should be the year it was made. Its a model 1871 for sure and the 1876 is year that it was produced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So there is a bore size mark? I'll look on the barrel, is there a location I should be looking, my eye sight is not what is use to be.
Thanks for all the great responses.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Alfred, nice rifle...If you want to take pictures on some phones you can increase the zoom, perhaps that will help..

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
So there is a bore size mark? I'll look on the barrel, is there a location I should be looking, my eye sight is not what is use to be.
Thanks for all the great responses.
Well there usually is somewhere. Ii have some rifles from the 40,s & 50,s and it is really faint on the barrel or sometimes receiver. I mean we are are talking about a 150 YO rifle. There is a lot of wear on older rifles depending on type of use and how much. There is even proof marks and arsenal markings stamped under stock on most rifles. Many people don't want to take stock off for a number of reasons. The caliber should be somewhere visible but sure it is worn and shallow. Like described above. Use a phone to enlarge print or metal. Also even a large magnifying glass. My eyes are good but I have a magnifying glass I have used to find markings before on guns.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Yes Erfurt is a very early settlement in Germany. It has Erfurt and also proof marks stamped on it. Also I just saw on the top of the barrel it is Stamped with what looks like 10.95 ? Ii did further research and it should be chambered in 11 MM which I have seen Mauser rifles chambered in the round. So that is the chamber { 10.95 } Just like you hear 8x57 or 8mm Mauser but actually is a 7.92x57 which is also stamped on them. So basically you can try and find value. I think these come up rarely on sites that you sell on. I understand some of these rifles are in museums because of the earliest rifles from Germany and earliest rifle period for a cartridge rifle and not muzzle loader.

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
Yep Mauser 1871 made in 76 it is relatively a mid model before they went to the 71/84 which is that same rifle with a Kropatschek tube magazine. It is mid model because it has the groove cut just before the chamber which is there as a gas funnel in case of ruptured brass the shooter won't get a blast of hot gas to the face. Which was needed during the early brass cases. 11mm Mauser is really your average 11mm black powder. In great shape they go for 700 and up. As for the markings Crown over FW is for Frederick Wilhelm, king of Prussia. Keeping in mind in 1871 is when Germany itself was unified as 1 country. If I am remembering my gun history correctly this was the 1st official military weapon of the official German army.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep Mauser 1871 made in 76 it is relatively a mid model before they went to the 71/84 which is that same rifle with a Kropatschek tube magazine. It is mid model because it has the groove cut just before the chamber which is there as a gas funnel in case of ruptured brass the shooter won't get a blast of hot gas to the face. Which was needed during the early brass cases. 11mm Mauser is really your average 11mm black powder. In great shape they go for 700 and up. As for the markings Crown over FW is for Frederick Wilhelm, king of Prussia. Keeping in mind in 1871 is when Germany itself was unified as 1 country. If I am remembering my gun history correctly this was the 1st official military weapon of the official German army.
OK, thanks. Is mine in bad condition?

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
OK, thanks. Is mine in bad condition?
Not really I would say decent condition the wood looks a little rough which is all just age the metal finish looks really good. Just keep in mind a shop will be looking to resell it but I could see something in that condition to a collector bringing in some decent money.

Reactions: mauser9

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not really I would say decent condition the wood looks a little rough which is all just age the metal finish looks really good. Just keep in mind a shop will be looking to resell it but I could see something in that condition to a collector bringing in some decent money.
Thank you very much.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
I might see if I could find some shells for it, have a gunsmith look it over, and shoot it once or twice if the smith said it was safe to do so, just to say I'd done it. Definitely don't sell it; if your spouse is okay with it, make it a wall hanger.

Reactions: Dannyboy53

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I might see if I could find some shells for it, have a gunsmith look it over, and shoot it once or twice if the smith said it was safe to do so, just to say I'd done it. Definitely don't sell it; if your spouse is okay with it, make it a wall hanger.
To me is an investment, I paid, if I remember correctly > $200. I'm more into modern firearms. I don't have a lot of room and I have 2-3 other older long guns I am considering passing to someone that would appreciate them. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts