Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom is on the left. She is an avid believer in feminism, "privilege" and loves MSNBC. However, she understands the need for the 2nd amendment. She understands freedom of speech. She understands that the constitution is necessary. I knew her to be against guns until recently, she has become more aware of the necessity of self protection. She took the class for her CC and is now at the point where she wants to try out different firearms to see which one fits her.

She wanted to go to one of the local ranges to test out different firearms with her husband, who is a Marine Corps vet, but he isnt as enthused as I thought he would be.

Anyway, what are some things you noticed about concealed carry and the types of firearms you use? I would love to support my mother and inform her well on what she can do to have a better experience with firearms.

Premium Member
There are many helpful classes to the new shooter. Starting with a basic firearm safety course is a good entry point. In regard to concealed carry, there are also offerings often titled "Judicious Use of Deadly Force" or some varient of that title. Often these courses have law enforcement personnel and sometimes district attorneys provide good information regarding the do's and don'ts of your locale.

Key is to start slow, be able to provide sound answers to her questions, which I am sure there will be many - - and allow her to forge her own path on how far she intends on taking her new knowledge.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are many helpful classes to the new shooter. Starting with a basic firearm safety course is a good entry point. In regard to concealed carry, there are also offerings often titled "Judicious Use of Deadly Force" or some varient of that title. Often these courses have law enforcement personnel and sometimes district attorneys provide good information regarding the do's and don'ts of your locale.

Key is to start slow, be able to provide sound answers to her questions, which I am sure there will be many - - and allow her to forge her own path on how far she intends on taking her new knowledge.

Thanks for your insight! :D

Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
Have her try operating a variety of pistols, especially racking the slide, and comfort.
Some ladies have trouble with pistols having stiff recoil springs.

Premium Member
I would suggest taking her to a big gun show where they have numerous vendors with tables full of hand guns. Let mom handle them and help her figure out how they function. You might also see if there is a shooting range in the area that rents several of the common current firearms so mom gets a chance to actually try several varieties with out plunking down a big wad of cash. Nothing worse than losing 25% to 50% on a first firearm that doesn't satisfy the new owner and used gun cases and racks in most gun stores are loaded with those that just didn't quite satisfy. And steer her away from those condescending know-it-alls sales peeps who start out by saying something like "well little lady what you need is a revolver because a semi-auto is too complicated and hard to operate for a woman". <<< Expose your mom to as many of the various choices as possible and let her decide whether she needs a revolver due to a semi-auto being too complicated.

Wonderment :)
AREagle-76: Sir; We are very proud of "Mother'AREagle-76" views :)
Knowledge-understanding-guidance
CC is paramount :) That life she may save; may be mine :)

Renting-borrowing-practice-practice and practice
Finding 1-2-3 that she will carry and stay in practice with
Assembly as many as you can.
Over days-weeks allowing her time acclimating

Patience and understanding :)

Resident Curmudgeon
AREagle-76, start your mother on a .22. Try her on a variety of them, including a couple of revolvers. The goal is to see what grip angles and thicknesses suit her, so you can figure out which centerfires she should try out, or at least handle.

When you step up to centerfires, I would suggest having her try these:

Tokarev (the Yugoslav Model 57 by choice, because it has the same controls as the M1911 and a whole lot of clones in a whole lot of calibers) in 7.62x25 Tok
CZ-50 in .32 ACP
CZ-52 ditto
Walther PP ditto
Beretta Model 81 (aka "Cheetah") ditto
FEG AP-MBP
CZ-70

This will let her get to centerfires without any hand-spanking or horrendous BOOOMs. .32 ACP is a fun caliber. I'll have to admit that the Tok is a boomer, but it's not a hand-spanker. And if she fell in love with it, all you need to do is get her some US-made 7.62 Tok hollowpoints and she'd be better off than she would be with a 9x19 NATO pistol; the Tok packs more terminal energy into its bullet than 9mm Parabellum does.

After the .32 ACP. step her up to .380 ACP. Lots of good choices there. I'd suggest:

Bersa Thunder .380
any of the M1911s in .380 ACP -- there's a bunch
Star Model S
Sig Sauer Model 232
Beretta Model 84F
Baikal IJ-70, if you're lucky enough to find one
FEG PA-63 in 9x18 Makarov
Makarov PM ditto
CZ-82 or -83. The -82 is 9mm Mak, the -83 .380 ACP.

After that, you're in 9x19 Parabellum land. There are so many pistols there, I would hesitate to offer suggestions. But by the time you get there, your mom should have a pretty good idea of what grips and angles suit her and she'll be able to make an informed choice.

It's never too late to start someone on the road to appreciating fine pistols.

Registered
You realize don't you that a high percentage of women who carry do so in a purse, right?
That's kind of a good and bad thing all in one.
First thing a purse-snatcher grabs for is a purse.
Off-body carry makes me cringe.

Way too often folks forget their purse is loaded and put it in the shopping basket or car where the kids can reach it...this has lead to a lot more deaths than should have happened, both mothers and kids.

That being said, I've done it, wife's done it, used a Diaper Bag to hold a pair of Calico Pistols...used a Harry Potter backpack to carry my G20SF...etc...the big thing being NEVER leave it alone or let it get out of your grip.

Registered
AREagle-76, you haven't said anything about your own experiences with firearms. Do you have any thoughts on what your mother might want to start out with?
If she is recently changing her thoughts - from anti-gun to taking a CC class - my first thought is to wonder if she is just checking out her curiosities, or if she took a sharp right towards a new lifestyle.

But for starters, I would suggest checking out a gun club, and one that has a good number of female members. She would meet lots of great people and possibly learn a new hobby.

The outer edge of civilization
As a lady who shoots, to me the best thing for your mom to do is handle as many as possible until she finds The One. If it's the one it should "speak to her" sort of like a kitten just curled up in her hand and started purring. Sounds silly I know, but that's how it works for me.

My Tokarev fits me well and I do enjoy shooting it. But the Sig Saur P938 micro compact I've been trying to save my pennies for spoke to me the first time I held one. So I'm saving for one and keeping an eye on the used market as well.

Premium Member
That's kind of a good and bad thing all in one.
First thing a purse-snatcher grabs for is a purse.
Off-body carry makes me cringe.

Way too often folks forget their purse is loaded and put it in the shopping basket or car where the kids can reach it...this has lead to a lot more deaths than should have happened, both mothers and kids.

That being said, I've done it, wife's done it, used a Diaper Bag to hold a pair of Calico Pistols...used a Harry Potter backpack to carry my G20SF...etc...the big thing being NEVER leave it alone or let it get out of your grip.
I'm not one for purse carry... Too many better and secure options availible.

The outer edge of civilization
I won't purse carry. Aside from the risk of not being able to get my hands on my pistol fast enough, I don't want my pistol ending up in someone else's hands. We women have a bad habit of setting our purses in shopping carts, on the floor or hanging them on the backs of chairs, where they are easy for someone to grab.

Having my pistol on my person means I am in control of it at all times.

Gun Toting Boeing Driver
I'd suggest you take her to a nice place and handle a few firearms to see which one fits. The surroundings should be pleasant and devoid of a huge amount of direction by a sales staff. This would happen after some quality introductory training by someone proficient about different options (this could be a relative or friend but needs to be someone who knows what he or she is doing). If you or a friend has a lot of different types you can use that as an opportunity to handle a few.

Remember it's not what YOU like but what fits HER and SHE might like.

Carry guns will always present a trade off between portability, concelability, and ease of shooting/firepower. Lighter/smaller guns tend to be more difficult to shoot well (which can be frustrating--one solution to this is after you work on the basics move the target in closer and as proficiency develops move it further away. Bearing in mind that when she or you do defensive training this tends to happen at ridiculously close distances and getting the gun to somewhere you can shoot reasonably well is the hard part).

Lotsa different options out there. Guns I like are the Smith K and L frames, mid-size Glock variants (like the 19/23), the VP series (VP-9/40 variants)--these seem to have excellent ergonomics and trigger and aren't 'blocky' like the Glocks, Ruger LCR-9 (bearing in mind smaller frame revolvers tend to have more felt recoil and are more difficult to shoot well due sight radius and that the trigger pull is heavy compared to gun weight), Ruger GP-100 (a larger frame gun), Ruger SP-101 (a heaver gun for carry but more pleasant to shoot), Glock single stack series (43X and 43 with the pierce grip extender). The Shield was the 'original' Glock-43-ish type of carry gun and is a good choice. Springfield has their hellcat series but I'm not familiar with it (Glock/Springfield is like Ford/Chevy). For a trail gun it's usually a Smith 69 or Glock 20SF but these are larger frame guns.

The Sig P365 is also a good choice for CCW--the stock (10 round) mag might not give enough grip to be comfortable for a beginner but with the 12-round magazine does.

When I am having an 'always have it with you' CCW carry it's usually a Sig P365 or Glock 43/43x.

Start with a smaller caliber (22s have very little recoil and many are similar to their big brother--can be a great training gun to start off with) like 9mm or .38 and if desired work your way up to a .40 or .45 or 10mm if desired. Any major caliber (.38 or 9mm and up) with decent carry ammo (Federal HST/Gold dot, hornady FTX/critical defense/duty, Sig V-crown, etc.) will be fine.

The key for me is to get something that fits and work your way up.

Registered
In regard to starting with .22, note that the Bersa .22 & .380 are identical in shape, size & manual of arms. My wife carried the Bersa .380 & would shoot a mag or so each time at the range, but most practice was with the .22.

As already stated, however, your mom should check it out for herself. My wife's arthritis in her hands got worse so racking the slide got harder & felt recoil worse, so she opted to change to the Sig P238 which is easier for her on both counts.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.