Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the 91/30 and others out yesterday and emptied a few clips into a hillside. Yes, it seems a strange choice of terms for a bolt gun, but the smooth super fast Mosin action did just that.

First off, recoil my a!! (democratic national party symbol) The thing kicked smoothly and not that hard at all. Frankly my AK felt worse. Didn't exactly have much of a target, but what I aimed at I had no problem hitting. I'm seriously thinking of leaving the Savage 300 RUM in the safe and taking this gun hunting.

One problem, though. I was firing some copper washed steel cased ammo, and it had a way of sticking in the chamber. Took some real force to extract. Couldn't see anything wrong with the spent cases though.

Anyone have similar experiences, good or bad? I'm thinking of getting a black synthetic stock for it to better fir my hand and to save the original stock from wear.

·
Registered
253 Posts
BRG3,

Kicks like your AK!? Me thinks you are shooting my 7.62x39 ammo, or some really under-powered 7.62x54. It should kick like an .30-'06. I've seen a lot of different brands/arsnels ammo stick in various chambers. I think a lot of it is due to dirty or rough chambers and a quick polish job will clear it up. At least that what cures most (but not all) of my customers problems.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,322 Posts
I assume you were shooting "standing on your hindlegs like a man", as a wise ol' curmudgeon once said. The body can better take the recoil that way, than shooting sitting at a bench. Even the infamous M44 is quite manageable while standing.
Plus, you're young! Wait til you're looking the big Five-Oh in the eye! :p

I love the long Rooshin rifles. Great fun to shoot! I still have a half-box of soft-points in case I want to do some Deer hunting, Stalingrad-style! :cool:

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed I was standing and I am young. Good point. I'm pretty sure I cleaned the chamber, and only steel cased stuff stuck. How would I go about polishing the chamber?
Thanks

I too would like to get my hands on some soft points for deer hunting, as I very well may use this rifle for that role.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Hey BRG3, glad to hear you drug the old girl out for a little exercise. Most guys use a 410 or 20 gauge bore mop and polishing compound. Screw the mop into a section of cleaning rod and chuck it up in a drill and shine 'er up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts